The Student Room Group

springs question

I need to find out the distance each of the springs has stretched from its equilibrium position.

It needs to be in terms of d (the max displacement of each ball from its initial position).

Any ideas? I have tried but to no avail.

Scroll to see replies

is v a force? if it is, you could consider juse one spring and the forces on it... not entirely sure how i woulod do this!
Reply 2
I'm a little confused as well, there are no variables here? We don't know anything about the system, are you sure there isn't more to this question?
Reply 3
Worzo
If that's just a static picture, then each string just stretches according to Hooke's law:

F=kxx=Fk=2vkcos45F = kx \rightarrow x = \frac{F}{k} = \frac{2v}{k}\text{cos}45

Hmm interesting I'm lost then? We have no numbers here? So how do you derive an answer.

Is it just an algebraic answer without an experimental result? I guess that's it, you just relate the answer to an equation.

d=
Reply 4
Worzo
If that's just a static picture with force vv, then each string just stretches according to Hooke's law:

F=kxx=Fk=2vkcos45F = kx \Rightarrow x = \frac{F}{k} = \frac{2v}{k}\text{cos}45

Unless it's dynamic, and it means velocity vv, in which case it becomes a SHM problem.
1. But we need to give the answer in terms of d,d, where dd is the maximum displacement of each ball from its initial position.
2. How would you solve the problem if it was 'dynamic'? How would the system operate then?
Reply 5
Right, ignoring my earlier static approach (because who calls their force v, and it wants something to do with maximum displacement, dd, which implies vibration), let's assume it's dynamic and it means velocity vv, in which case it becomes a SHM problem.

The problem is identical for all the springs, so let v=vcos45=v/2v' = v\text{cos}45 = v/\sqrt{2}, the component of velocity of a mass in the direction of a spring with spring constant kk.

Consider one such spring with a mass at either end:
..|->x1...............|->x2
(m) oooooooooo (m)

Hooke's law for each mass, with w2=kmw'^2 = \frac{k}{m}:
x¨2=w2(x2x1)\ddot x_2 = -w'^2(x_2 - x_1)
x¨1=w2(x2x1)\ddot x_1 = w'^2(x_2 - x_1)
x¨2x¨1=2w2(x2x1)\ddot x_2 - \ddot x_1 = -2w'^2(x_2 - x_1)

So the frequency for the oscillation we are interested in is:
w2=2w2=2kmw^2 = 2w'^2 = \frac{2k}{m}

Now know from SHM for the ith mass that:
x˙i2=w2(a2xi2)\dot x_i^2 = w^2(a^2 - x_i^2)

Which in our problem translates to:
v2=w2((d2)2(x2)2)v'^2 = w^2((\frac{d}{2})^2 - (\frac{x}{2})^2)

The x2\frac{x}{2} and d2\frac{d}{2} are because the displacement of each mass only contributes to half the extension of the spring, so as to keep our notation consistent.

x2=d24v2w2x^2 = d^2 - \frac{4v'^2}{w^2}
x2=d24m(v2/2)2kx^2 = d^2 - \frac{4m(v^2/2)}{2k}
x=±d2mv2kx = \pm \sqrt{d^2 - \frac{mv^2}{k}}

I think!
Reply 6
This is some more additional info about the question:

Four balls, each of mass m, are connected by four identical relaxed springs with spring constant k. The balls are simultaneously given equal initial speeds v directed away from the center of symmetry of the system.

Worzo: That is wayyyyy toooo complicated for this question.

It says to use 'geometry' ?
Reply 7
Generally it helps if you tell people the whole question...
Anyway since the springs are initially relaxed equate initial kinetic energy and elastic potential energy when the balls are at their maximum displacement. Then it should be straightforward to find the maximum displacement of the balls in terms of the extension of the springs.
Reply 8
sorry, i missed that part, was late at night :frown:
Reply 9
I think that this is the right answer, but I'm really not sure. However, maybe it might guide you to the solution, if it isn't correct.

Say that the maximum displacement of each ball from its equilibrium position is dd. (This is due to the kinetic energy of the balls and energy transfer - the loss of each ball's kinetic energy is converted to increased elastic potential energy in the spring. However, as the question asks us to give the answer in terms of dd, we simply mask all of the energy transfer between the ball and the spring underneath this one variable).

Each of the balls will move diagonally, but its displacement will be used to extend two springs horizontally - the diagonal displacement of any ball can be resolved into horizontal and vertical components, which is responsible for the extension of two springs.

Therefore, the extension of one spring caused by the displacement of one ball is given by dcos45d\cos45. But, as is shown in the diagram, each spring is connected to two balls and so its total magnitude of displacement is 2dcos452d\cos45.

We can equate this displacement to the increased elastic potential energy of the spring, which is given by ΔEP=12kx2\Delta E_{P} = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2} where ΔEP\Delta E_{P} is the change in elastic potential energy of the springs, kk is the spring constant and xx is the extension of each spring.

Thus, we equate to give:

[indent]2dcos45=12kx22d\cos45 = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/indent]
[indent]4dcos45=kx24d\cos45 = kx^{2}[/indent]
[indent]4dcos45k=x2\frac{4d\cos45}{k} = x^{2}[/indent]
[indent]x=4dcos45k.\therefore x = \sqrt{\frac{4d\cos45}{k}}.[/indent]
Dharma
I think that this is the right answer, but I'm really not sure. However, maybe it might guide you to the solution, if it isn't correct.

Say that the maximum displacement of each ball from its equilibrium position is dd. (This is due to the kinetic energy of the balls and energy transfer - the loss of each ball's kinetic energy is converted to increased elastic potential energy in the spring. However, as the question asks us to give the answer in terms of dd, we simply mask all of the energy transfer between the ball and the spring underneath this one variable).

Each of the balls will move diagonally, but its displacement will be used to extend two springs horizontally - the diagonal displacement of any ball can be resolved into horizontal and vertical components, which is responsible for the extension of two springs.

Therefore, the extension of one spring caused by the displacement of one ball is given by dcos45d\cos45. But, as is shown in the diagram, each spring is connected to two balls and so its total magnitude of displacement is 2dcos452d\cos45.

We can equate this displacement to the increased elastic potential energy of the spring, which is given by ΔEP=12kx2\Delta E_{P} = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2} where ΔEP\Delta E_{P} is the change in elastic potential energy of the springs, kk is the spring constant and xx is the extension of each spring.

Thus, we equate to give:

S.I. units of 2dcos45 are m and S.I. units of 0.5kx2 are kgm2s-2 so they can't be equal.
Reply 11
Dharma

Thus, we equate to give:

wtf?

Where have you used the initial kinetic energy?
Reply 12
Widowmaker
S.I. units of 2dcos45 are m and S.I. units of 0.5kx2 are kgm2s-2 so they can't be equal.
robob
wtf?

Where have you used the initial kinetic energy?
Right, so I've messed this up completely haven't I?! :redface:
I mean, if the SI units don't even match up then....

OK. What do you guys make of this? :smile:

For one ball acting on one spring, the horizontal component of the work done by the ball on the spring (due to the ball's kinetic energy) is transferred to the spring, increasing its elastic potential energy, to the point that at the maximum extension, the kinetic energy of the ball is zero.

However, the diagram shows that for each spring, two balls are acting on it. Therefore, the total work done on a spring will be double that stated in the previous paragraph.

Therefore:

[indent]2×12mv2=Fdcos452\times\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} = Fd\cos 45[/indent]
[indent]mv2=kxdcos45mv^{2} = kxd\cos 45[/indent]
[indent]x=2mv2kd.\therefore x = \frac{\sqrt{2}mv^{2}}{kd}.[/indent]

Is that any better, if not correct?
well, your units work out at least!
looks ok to me, but then i'm not brilliant at mechanics.

edit: so a pretty pointless post then.
Reply 14
I think this question is simpler than has been made out.

It wants to know the maximum extension of each spring, x0x_0, in terms of the maximum displacement of a mass from its equilibirum position, dd. It doesn't ask for an expression for dd.

It is just geometry. We know that a ball which moves a distance dd in the direction of vv will have a component of distance d=dcos45=d2d' = d\text{cos}45 = \frac{d}{\sqrt{2}} along the direction of the spring.

Hence, x0=2×d=2d2=2dx_0 = 2 \times d' = \frac{2d}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2}d.

That does exactly what the question asks.
Reply 15
Worzo
I think this question is simpler than has been made out.

It wants to know the maximum extension of each spring, x0x_0, in terms of the maximum displacement of a mass from its equilibirum position, dd. It doesn't ask for an expression for dd.

It is just geometry. We know that a ball which moves a distance dd in the direction of vv will have a component of distance d=dcos45=d2d' = d\text{cos}45 = \frac{d}{\sqrt{2}} along the direction of the spring.

Hence, x0=2×d=2d2=2dx_0 = 2 \times d' = \frac{2d}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2}d.

That does exactly what the question asks.
Man points for that. :cool:

Typical of me (if you knew the sort of person I am) to overcomplicate things!

Incidentally though Worzo, if you wanted to find the extension of the spring in terms of all the variables given there, how would you do it?

You see I think that my method is right but I'm starting to wonder:

To find the magnitude of a ball's kinetic energy which does work in increasing the elastic potential energy of the spring, would you say it is equal to mv22cos45\frac{mv^{2}}{2\cos 45} or m(vcos45)22?\frac{m(v\cos 45)^{2}}{2}?

Basically what I'm trying to say is: to find the work done on the spring, do you resolve the velocity of the ball to find its horizontal component and then work out the work done by the ball; or do you work out the work done by the ball and then resolve it horizontally in the direction of the spring's motion? I ask because both ways yield different answers.
Reply 16
Dharma
Basically what I'm trying to say is: to find the work done on the spring, do you resolve the velocity of the ball to find its horizontal component and then work out the work done by the ball; or do you work out the work done by the ball and then resolve it horizontally in the direction of the spring's motion? I ask because both ways yield different answers.

You resolve the velocity, because that is the vector. Kinetic energy has no direction and cannot be "resolved". If you want to split the kinetic energy into that of each component of motion, the energy just adds like:

KEtotal=KEx+KEy+KEzKE_{total} = KE_x + KE_y + KE_z
because
12mv2=12mvx2+12mvy2+12mvz2 \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv_x^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_y^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_z^2

See how because of the v2, KE from each component just adds like a scalar? It's a very important result. (In thermodynamics, it leads to the Equipartition of Energy.) Anyway, I hope that helps you understand, because I'll use that in the next part...

You see I think that my method is right but I'm starting to wonder

No, your method is wrong. You use Work Done = Force x Distance, which is not right in this case. Elastic potential energy stored in a spring is given by EPE =12kx2\text{EPE }= \frac{1}{2}kx^2.

As I showed before, the maximum extension of the spring is given by x0=2dx_0 = \sqrt{2}d. If you want to express dd in terms of the variables given, vv and kk, then you have to solve the dynamics.

At maximum extension of the spring, all the initial kinetic energy of two masses along the direction of the spring goes into the elastic potential energy stored in the stretched spring:
2×12mv2=12kx022 \times \frac{1}{2}mv'^2 = \frac{1}{2}kx_0^2

Now, we know that v=vcos45o=v2v' = v\text{cos}45^o = \frac{v}{\sqrt{2}}, and we have an expression for x0x_0, hence:
2m(v2)2=k(2d2)2m(\frac{v}{\sqrt{2}})^2 = k(2d^2)
mv2=2kd2mv^2 = 2kd^2
Unparseable latex formula:

\Rightarrow d = \sqrt{\frac{mv^2}{2k}

Now using
Unparseable latex formula:

x_0 = \sqrt{2}d \Rightarrow x_0 = \sqrt{\frac{mv^2}{k}

Reply 17
Thanks guys it was sqrt2 * d.
Reply 18
Worzo
You resolve the velocity, because that is the vector. Kinetic energy has no direction and cannot be "resolved". If you want to split the kinetic energy into that of each component of motion, the energy just adds like:

KEtotal=KEx+KEy+KEzKE_{total} = KE_x + KE_y + KE_z
because
12mv2=12mvx2+12mvy2+12mvz2 \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv_x^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_y^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_z^2

See how because of the v2, KE from each component just adds like a scalar? It's a very important result. (In thermodynamics, it leads to the Equipartition of Energy.) Anyway, I hope that helps you understand, because I'll use that in the next part...Thanks a lot. :smile:

That's exactly what I was thinking, after I posted the wrong method. This is because, like you said, if you resolve the velocity into its horizontal and vertical components, you'll get the kinetic energy of one ball in each direction is 14mv2\frac{1}{4}mv^{2}, which if you double to take into account the velocity component in the other direction will give you 12mv2\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} which is the total kinetic energy of the spring. I did it just now, and Pythagoras confirms it also.

However, one thing which I would like to clarify. I can see how the kinetic energies just add up like a scalar. But could you explain why this is because of the v2v^{2} (is it because squaring the velocity gets rid of the negative sign?), and why this is so significant?
Worzo
You use Work Done = Force x Distance, which is not right in this case.
Why? I'm not doubting you, it's just I can't get my head around physically why this is not the case.
Reply 19
Dharma
However, one thing which I would like to clarify. I can see how the kinetic energies just add up like a scalar. But could you explain why this is because of the v2v^{2} (is it because squaring the velocity gets rid of the negative sign?), and why this is so significant?

Because Pythagoras says that the magnitude of a vector - for example the velocity - is given by v2=vx2+vy2+vz2v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2. This is the geometry. The physics is that it just so happens that kinetic energy depends on v2v^2. Multiply the Pythagoras equation by 12m\frac{1}{2}m and voila, you have the formula for adding kinetic energy contributions from each component.

Besides, kinetic energy is a scalar and scalars add like normal addition. The squaring is significant becase kinetic energy must always be positive, even if your velocity is negative.

Why? I'm not doubting you, it's just I can't get my head around physically why this is not the case.

Because W=F×dW = F \times d only applies when a constant force is moved through a distance. In the case of stretching a spring, the force that must be applied to extend the spring changes with the extension. From physical experience, you know that it becomes harder to stretch a spring the more extended it is.

I'm not sure what level of calculus you're familar with, so I'll explain it simply. Imagine stretching the spring just a little bit, a distance dxdx, such that the force you need to do this is pretty much constant at F=kxF = kx (since x does not change much, F does not change much). The work done in that small stretch is equal to:
dW=FdxdW' = F dx
dW=kxdxdW' = kx dx

Now if we integrate this from zero extension to an extension x0:

0WdW=0x0kxdx\int_0^WdW' = \int_0^{x_0}kxdx
W=12kx02W = \frac{1}{2}kx_0^2

Alternatively you can look at it like this: the average force (Fˉ\bar F) that you used to stretch the spring from 0 to x0 was half of the force (FF) required to hold the spring at its maximum extension. So the problem is equivalent to moving this average force through the distance x0.

Let F=kx0F = kx_0
Fˉ=F2\bar F = \frac{F}{2}
Now W=Fˉ×x0=kx02×x0=12kx02W = \bar F \times x_0 = \frac{kx_0}{2} \times x_0 = \frac{1}{2}kx_0^2

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest