The Student Room Group

UCAS - declaring AS level

Having already achieved my 3 A levels and am now on a gap year applying to university, do I have to declare my AS level that I took, in which I got a below average grade (D)

I got ABB at A Level and am I applying to AAB-BBB unis...so one of them will be above what I have actually achieved.

Is it likely to be a deciding factor whether I get an offer or not?
Original post by Bobbs
Having already achieved my 3 A levels and am now on a gap year applying to university, do I have to declare my AS level that I took, in which I got a below average grade (D)

I got ABB at A Level and am I applying to AAB-BBB unis...so one of them will be above what I have actually achieved.

Ucas are very clear about this:
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
Not declaring everything is fraudulent.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3538633
I am in EXACTLY the same position, its nice to know theres someone else who feels the same! I'm applying for Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds and Sheffield. I called Edinburgh and Newcastle and they said it shouldn't matter because they focus more on your 3 A Level grades so try not to worry. Ive been stressing about it a lot but had to push it to the back of my mind, and submit my application and hope for the best. You do have to put it on if it has been declared (so is on your exam certificates etc).
Reply 3
Tell the truth, it might come round and hit you in the back otherwise.

I know a lot of schools that say do not declare bad grades, but I really don't think you'll be that hindered by it and honesty is the best policy (so is avoiding fraud..)

P.S I got a D at AS too :wink:
Original post by Han-
Tell the truth, it might come round and hit you in the back otherwise.

I know a lot of schools that say do not declare bad grades, but I really don't think you'll be that hindered by it and honesty is the best policy (so is avoiding fraud..)

P.S I got a D at AS too :wink:

I got a low grade in general studies, I told the school I didn't want the grade however they have admitted its there fault but the grade has been declared! Do you think this will hinder my chances?
Reply 5
Original post by dewdropdew
I got a low grade in general studies, I told the school I didn't want the grade however they have admitted its there fault but the grade has been declared! Do you think this will hinder my chances?

Thats super annoying of your school :frown: But declaring it was the right thing to do.
I do think it depends on circumstances - so if you're doing other AS/A levels or qualifications that show your actual ability, then one grade isn't going to seriously hinder you! If your predicted grades meet the entry requirements or near, then I shouldn't worry.
That is my personal opinion from experience though, so I guess it is subjective and each uni might react differently.
Original post by Bobbs

I got ABB at A Level and am I applying to AAB-BBB unis...so one of them will bne above what I have actually achieved.

You do need to declare this but I don't think it'll affect your chances of getting an offer. You have met their requirements for A2s and the fourth AS shows you had a higher workload to deal with than if you had just taken three ASs.

There are a few competitive courses at a few of the most prestigious universities (I think Law at Warwick is one) where you need a fourth AS at a certain level, but if this was the case it would be made clear in the entry requirements.

Am editing to say I've just noticed that at least one of your choices does ask for higher A2s than you have. This might be a problem, but I don't think it would be the AS that would be the issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bobbs

To be fair, I had EEUU AS Grades down on my UCAS when I applied because I had to repeat year 12. I have 4 offers and have withdrawn from the 5th. One D won't matter :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending