The Student Room Group

Help! Want to do politics as a degree but failed it!!

I have quite a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I am currently doing Sociology, Psychology and Law and I'm predicted either ABC or BBC. I did Government and Politics as an AS and got an E and therefore dropped it. But I want to do a degree in Politics and/or International Relations. Without meaning to brag my personal statement is quite good but what should I say if in the interview they ask me "if you are incapable of doing AS level Politics, what makes you think you can do it as a degree"? I'm worried as I realised you have to declare all your grades on UCAS. The real reason I got an E is because we have a really bad teacher (I think about 3 people got above a C) and I didn't realised that's what I wanted to do and Politics was one of my last exams so I didn't really bother. Sorry this has been long:frown: just want to know what you guys think
Original post by es_103
I have quite a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I am currently doing Sociology, Psychology and Law and I'm predicted either ABC or BBC. I did Government and Politics as an AS and got an E and therefore dropped it. But I want to do a degree in Politics and/or International Relations. Without meaning to brag my personal statement is quite good but what should I say if in the interview they ask me "if you are incapable of doing AS level Politics, what makes you think you can do it as a degree"? I'm worried as I realised you have to declare all your grades on UCAS. The real reason I got an E is because we have a really bad teacher (I think about 3 people got above a C) and I didn't realised that's what I wanted to do and Politics was one of my last exams so I didn't really bother. Sorry this has been long:frown: just want to know what you guys think

If you were an admissions tutor, how would you view the answers you've just given?
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you were an admissions tutor, how would you view the answers you've just given?

Not an excuse :frown: do you have any suggestions on what I could possibly say?
Original post by es_103
Not an excuse :frown: do you have any suggestions on what I could possibly say?

Not really. I would question why you wanted to do it, personally, since you have other subjects which you clearly have more talent for. If you wanted some kind of career in politics, you would be far better served by getting a decent degree in something you would be good at and then looking for a political job afterwards than by trying to scrape into what would inevitably be a rather poorly rated politics degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Not really. I would question why you wanted to do it, personally, since you have other subjects which you clearly have more talent for. If you wanted some kind of career in politics, you would be far better served by getting a decent degree in something you would be good at and then looking for a political job afterwards than by trying to scrape into what would inevitably be a rather poorly rated politics degree.

I love Politics! I find it interesting. Do I want a career in it? Part of me wants a 9-5 well payed office job somewhere in the government and another part of me wants to be a civil rights campaigner in parts of the world in places like China ect. I think I painted the most rosiest picture on my personal statement (to the point my tutor accused me of plagiarism because it doesn't sound like something an 18 year old rights)
Original post by es_103
I love Politics! I find it interesting. Do I want a career in it? Part of me wants a 9-5 well payed office job somewhere in the government and another part of me wants to be a civil rights campaigner in parts of the world in places like China ect. I think I painted the most rosiest picture on my personal statement (to the point my tutor accused me of plagiarism because it doesn't sound like something an 18 year old rights)

I'm afraid no personal statement will make up for not having the grades. You can do all those things without a degree in politics.
Original post by es_103

I didn't think you even had to go to interviews for Politics... I haven't been invited to any, I just got offers...
Original post by emiloujess
I didn't think you even had to go to interviews for Politics... I haven't been invited to any, I just got offers...

Yes, I should have made this point, too.
Reply 8

I think I will be regarded as a "special case". I just want to do Politics because I enjoy it now I think I'm not even going to get accepted! Well done you though!
Original post by es_103
I think I will be regarded as a "special case". I just want to do Politics because I enjoy it now I think I'm not even going to get accepted! Well done you though!

I thought I would be, but it appears not :smile: (I had to repeat year 12 and have Aspergers) I don't see any harm in trying, especially if you have been doing extracurricular :smile: Which Universities are you thinking of?

Thanks! I'm so happy! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I thought I would be, but it appears not :smile: (I had to repeat year 12 and have Aspergers) I don't see any harm in trying, especially if you have been doing extracurricular :smile: Which Universities are you thinking of?

Thanks! I'm so happy! :biggrin:

Well
Portsmouth (low risk)
Swansea (in line with grade)
Keele (in line with grade)
And can't decided between Loughborough, Liverpool and Sussex as my high risk! What about you :smile:
Original post by es_103
Well
Portsmouth (low risk)
Swansea (in line with grade)
Keele (in line with grade)
And can't decided between Loughborough, Liverpool and Sussex as my high risk! What about you :smile:

Aberystwyth, Birmingham, Cardiff (x2) and Swansea. I withdrew from Swansea and have firmed Cardiff, insured Aberystwyth. I only applied to the others as last choices, I always wanted to choose those two :smile:
A levels can be very misleading anyway. I know 2-3 students who were in the year above and are at Uni now doing Economics but all got D's and E's at AS, partly due to my school picking OCR which is inevitable awful for it. They're all doing very well now at Uni studying Econ as it's completely different to the A level, hence why no University in the country actually asks for it and they prefer maths/ traditional essay subjects if anything.

I assume it's similar with politics like it is with Law and Economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by alexp98
A levels can be very misleading anyway. I know 2-3 students who were in the year above and are at Uni now doing Economics but all got D's and E's at AS, partly due to my school picking OCR which is inevitable awful for it. They're all doing very well now at Uni studying Econ as it's completely different to the A level, hence why no University in the country actually asks for it and they prefer maths/ traditional essay subjects if anything.

I assume it's similar with politics like it is with Law and Economics.

Ahh thank you so much! This has actually made me feel better. I hope the universities will see it in the same way! Im keen on doing it so I shall! Thank you so much again :smile:
Reply 14
in case someone finds themselves in the same situation as me, I was accepted by the University of Liverpool, Loughborough University, University of Keele and University of Portsmouth. And the University of Kent asked for an interview (which I declined). So it is possible to go uni to do a degree in a subject you didnt so so well in! I have accepted the University of Liverpool's offer so hopefully will be going there in September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending