The Student Room Group

Personal statement disaster - now considering gap year

Hi TSR!

Last week I realised I made a mistake in my personal statement. I accidentally said that China had surpassed the US as the world's largest economy. Even after getting my Economics teacher and other teachers to check over it at the time, none of them noticed it, and neither did I! :s-smilie:

I know that it's such a stupid mistake. I've applied for Economics for goodness sake! But now I feel like I'm going to get no offers this year for putting something so stupid in my personal statement. I've applied to very competitive universities - Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE, Bath - so I think this is very likely.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I was thinking of applying for a gap year work experience scheme so I could reapply next year.

Please help me! Is there anything I can do? Is it possible to email universities and correct the mistake or should I just give up and focus on applying for gap year schemes? Bear in mind that my UCAS was sent off all the way back on Sept 30th. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The best thing you can do is *calm down*.

If the rest of your personal statement is strong, I don't think that one mistake will hold you back. I am not an admissions officer, but I imagine that if the rest of the statement was very good and if you come across as an intelligent and motivated individual, I would put it down to you accidentally deleting the word "almost", or maybe you just read a badly-researched article (which isn't the end of the word - you are "only" a school student).

I have just graduated from Warwick, and before that I got offers from other good universities, and was invited to interview at Oxford (though didn't get in), and yet reading my personal statement back, I truly sounded like a complete idiot. There was also a spelling mistake in there. So I repeat, don't worry.

To be honest, if your economics teacher missed the mistake, the admissions people might too. If will put your mind at ease, you can look for gap year work experience. But I really do think you are panicking for no reason. (I can understand why; it's a terrifying time).

tl;dr It's going to be ok
They might see your mistake as a great foresight, and give you an offer based on your future predicting capabilities!
I have actually read an article where that statement is true. But it's actually not a bad statement imo, as you can have different points of view of how strong an economy is!
So don't worry :wink:
Original post by sixtus66
X

Thank you so much for your kind words. :smile: I will try and calm down! This past week has been a bit crazy, I wrote out a completely new CV and even scheduled an appointment with my school's careers advisor. I think if I don't get an offer from my top three I'll still probably take a gap year. I feel like LSE won't be very forgiving of my little mistake. How was Economics at Warwick? Good?

Original post by ewanharv
They might see your mistake as a great foresight, and give you an offer based on your future predicting capabilities!

I hope so lol.

Original post by TheSnazzyMan
I have actually read an article where that statement is true. But it's actually not a bad statement imo, as you can have different points of view of how strong an economy is!
So don't worry :wink:

Could you please tell which article that is? I'd love to read it to calm my nerves. :tongue: Thank you so much for replying. :smile:
This one for example: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30483762

As you can gather from the article, it really has different points of view so one can argue on both sides whether that's true or not. Then one could have elaborated how figures affect the "rankings" etc. etc.

But seeing you applied for the most competitive unis I assume that you have strong AS and A2 predictions? Haven't applied for Economics myself (although would have loved to) but it's interesting to see Economics applicants :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Nijuuninichi
Hi TSR!

Last week I realised I made a mistake in my personal statement. I accidentally said that China had surpassed the US as the world's largest economy. Even after getting my Economics teacher and other teachers to check over it at the time, none of them noticed it, and neither did I! :s-smilie:

I know that it's such a stupid mistake. I've applied for Economics for goodness sake! But now I feel like I'm going to get no offers this year for putting something so stupid in my personal statement. I've applied to very competitive universities - Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE, Bath - so I think this is very likely.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I was thinking of applying for a gap year work experience scheme so I could reapply next year.

Please help me! Is there anything I can do? Is it possible to email universities and correct the mistake or should I just give up and focus on applying for gap year schemes? Bear in mind that my UCAS was sent off all the way back on Sept 30th. :frown:

To be honest the admissions tutors ( at Oxford ) I've spoken to say they only skim read personal statements anyway, albeit I'm applying for Maths. If they were to care, I think it would be less about you being wrong, but more about you not spotting it. What are your grades like? If you're borderline it might play a small part, but if not then I would not be worrying.
Reply 7
It's your own interpretation? Don't know how they could fault you on that, although I have never studied economics.

I study at the LSE and my personal statement said I wasn't interested in the Euro-centrism of secondary school history, although quite a bit of my degree covers European History/British history. I also think LSE teaches a more international angle in their degrees, probably the same for economics.

Don't want to make the community here sound like a broken record, but really, don't worry about it. I'm also applying to uni this year, so haven't got a whole lot of experience, but I highly doubt admissions tutors will reject you straight off due to one mistake. The worst that could happen, I think, is that in an interview they ask you to back up your point, and explain to them why you think that (even if you don't). Prepare a response for the interview, but otherwise chill :smile:
X

Ahh, I've seen that article but I dismissed it immediately because I saw it was published in 2014. Didn't even scroll down. :colondollar: But reading it now, it made some good points! Maybe I can defend my claim in an interview and use that to back me up?

Original post by SCalver
X

I've been to summer schools at both Oxford and Cambridge and both have said similar things about not placing a huge amount of emphasis on personal statements, and many interviewers might only skim read it before they begin the interview. Which is fine, I'll give it my all at interview and just let it happen (maybe apologise for my PS at the start lol). I just feel like my LSE dreams have been crushed. Oh well. :rolleyes:

My GCSEs are 8A* 3A, AS levels AAAA and A2 predicted A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, French and Econ respectively. So not terrible, but I think the A prediction in Econ may raise a few eyebrows (88.5% Econ average :s-smilie:). Seeing all of the people in the UCL thread get offers is not comforting me much! Thank you for your reply! :h:

Original post by lukejoshjames
X

Thanks for the kind words! I think it would be a great discussion point at interview, I better start preparing for a question about it now. :wink: At least I didn't go rambling on about my childhood (like I did in my first draft lol). Good luck with your application this year!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MJlover
X

Ooooh, which course do you study at the LSE? How are you finding it?

I would think they take an international angle on it (how can you not?) with Economics at the LSE, especially with the amount of international applicants they get. Maybe they'll like the "bold claim" that I have made. I can only cross my fingers now. I hope you're enjoying your time at uni so far and thanks for the reply! :smile:
Reply 11
Ahh, I've seen that article but I dismissed it immediately because I saw it was published in 2014. Didn't even scroll down. :colondollar: But reading it now, it made some good points! Maybe I can defend my claim in an interview and use that to back me up?

I've been to summer schools at both Oxford and Cambridge and both have said similar things about not placing a huge amount of emphasis on personal statements, and many interviewers might only skim read it before they begin the interview. Which is fine, I'll give it my all at interview and just let it happen (maybe apologise for my PS at the start lol). I just feel like my LSE dreams have been crushed. Oh well. :rolleyes:

My GCSEs are 8A* 3A, AS levels AAAA and A2 predicted A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, French and Econ respectively. So not terrible, but I think the A prediction in Econ may raise a few eyebrows (88.5% Econ average :s-smilie:). Seeing all of the people in the UCL thread get offers is not comforting me much! Thank you for your reply! :h:

Thanks for the kind words! I think it would be a great discussion point at interview, I better start preparing for a question about it now. :wink: At least I didn't go rambling on about my childhood (like I did in my first draft lol). Good luck with your application this year!

Whats your UMS average over your top 3.
Ooooh, which course do you study at the LSE? How are you finding it?

I would think they take an international angle on it (how can you not?) with Economics at the LSE, especially with the amount of international applicants they get. Maybe they'll like the "bold claim" that I have made. I can only cross my fingers now. I hope you're enjoying your time at uni so far and thanks for the reply! :smile:

Hey I study History. The workload when I first came was crazy tbh I was the one of those who slacked in class, I learnt later to catch up with reading and essays, and almost killed myself with work lol. Just find a balance when you get there. It will probably be harder if u pick Cambridge though!
Wow you have great predicted grades... they should get you into at least one of these Unis :wink:
If you don't get your Warwick offer within a few days, then you don't need to worry, it took them like three weeks to give me an offer :biggrin:

Question: How would you personally rank these unis (if you got offers from all of them)?
Reply 14
Thing number one to do should be to prepare yourself to talk about this in an impressive way if you get interviewed, which hopefully you will be.
There's a chance they'll read it and be like, okay this is interesting. I know nothing about economics but just saying :tongue:

Warwick probably won't even read it :tongue:
Hi TSR!

Firstly, you need to seriously chill the **** out. If you're wanting to study Economics at these top universities, you're gonna find yourself in a number of situations where you make mistakes, and if your first response is to give up and start looking at Plan B, you've ****ed it.

Secondly, this isn't even a mistake, there is an argument to suggest the Chinese economy is stronger than the US economy.

Thirdly, EVEN if the admissions tutors notice this and flag it as an error (99% probability this doesn't happen) it won't make the SLIGHTEST difference to the rest of your application. If you get rejected, it'll either be down to your PS as a whole not being good enough for them, or for any other reason, but certainly won't be for that.
Original post by SCalver
Whats your UMS average over your top 3.

If you count Maths and FM as two separate A levels, my top 3 average is 97.2%. But with all four it's 95%. I'm not sure whether most unis consider FM and Maths as a single A level, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'm carrying on all four to A2 anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

Original post by MJlover
X

Oh gosh I feel like I would get snowed under as well then, I'm always the one that slacks in class but somehow gets away with it. I guess I wouldn't be able to at LSE! I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind when I go off to uni. :smile:

X

Thing is, it's been more than three weeks for me! More like over a month now, I sent it in the 30th of September. But it's no use overthinking it now I guess. (I just have to keep telling myself that until I believe it)

If I got offers from all of them? Hmm. I'd probably accept Cambridge and slightly regret it later. Then LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath in that order. Warwick and Bath I didn't do a huge amount of research into, but Warwick looks like a good uni and my friend got in there so that's a plus! I just really want to study in London, so LSE and UCL are perfect for me!

Original post by H.A.
X

Haha it doesn't matter if you don't know anything about Economics! You probably do, you just haven't realised it yet. :wink: Thanks for the advice.

Thank you for the reality check! I know, I really did overreact! I've been super anxious about the whole UCAS process from the start and even before I'd discovered my 'mistake' (should I even call it that now?), I'd somehow convinced myself I would get rejected from all of them anyway. I think it was just to soften the blow if I did get rejected. :tongue: If you're applying this year, good luck with your application!
If you count Maths and FM as two separate A levels, my top 3 average is 97.2%. But with all four it's 95%. I'm not sure whether most unis consider FM and Maths as a single A level, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'm carrying on all four to A2 anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

Oh gosh I feel like I would get snowed under as well then, I'm always the one that slacks in class but somehow gets away with it. I guess I wouldn't be able to at LSE! I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind when I go off to uni. :smile:

Thing is, it's been more than three weeks for me! More like over a month now, I sent it in the 30th of September. But it's no use overthinking it now I guess. (I just have to keep telling myself that until I believe it)

If I got offers from all of them? Hmm. I'd probably accept Cambridge and slightly regret it later. Then LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath in that order. Warwick and Bath I didn't do a huge amount of research into, but Warwick looks like a good uni and my friend got in there so that's a plus! I just really want to study in London, so LSE and UCL are perfect for me!

Haha it doesn't matter if you don't know anything about Economics! You probably do, you just haven't realised it yet. :wink: Thanks for the advice.

Thank you for the reality check! I know, I really did overreact! I've been super anxious about the whole UCAS process from the start and even before I'd discovered my 'mistake' (should I even call it that now?), I'd somehow convinced myself I would get rejected from all of them anyway. I think it was just to soften the blow if I did get rejected. :tongue: If you're applying this year, good luck with your application!

No problem, I apologise if I sounded harsh, but sometimes people have to be :tongue:

I understand your concern about the UCAS Process, having been through the exact same situation as you (Economics applicant), I do see why you are worried, but remember you can't let this stuff make you see beyond reason :tongue: It's not a mistake, don't worry, anyone who tells you it is, is either trying to wind you up/is an idiot/doesn't understand Economics.

Thank you, I actually applied in October 2013, I am now a 2nd year studying Economics at one of the Universities you mentioned. Good luck with your application, having read the rest of the thread, the rest of your profile seems exceptionally strong :smile:
Hi TSR!

Dude if your grades and extra curriculars are good I wouldn't panic. That being said, why did you apply to 5 A*AA courses (no AAA/AAB back up) out of interest?

Thank you so much! I hope your second year goes well. :smile:

Original post by Pro Crastination
Dude if your grades and extra curriculars are good I wouldn't panic. That being said, why did you apply to 5 A*AA courses (no AAA/AAB back up) out of interest?

I know it's nice to have a back up, but really if I didn't get into at least the top 4 I would have taken a gap year anyway. I didn't want to spend so much money on a second rate university you know? I thought my grades were good enough that I'd be able to get the A*AA without much fuss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending