The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Mechanical Engineering Interview 2016

Hi I have got an inivtation for an interview on the 25th of November. Has anyone got any idea what to expect?, I read somewhere that they can either ask you no mechanic questions only general ones or actually ask mechanic mathy, physicy reviews. Anyone had there interviews yet?

Please help :smile: Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same boat. I've asked someone who does MechEng and did get technical questions, but looking at past threads it seems pretty rare that people get a difficult interview. As long as you know exactly why you want to do it and know your PS very well, you'll probably be fine.

The acceptance rate of people invited for interview is just over 90%, which calms my nerves a bit.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by tanyapotter
I'm in the same boat. I've asked someone who does MechEng and did get technical questions, but looking at past threads it seems pretty rare that people get a difficult interview. As long as you know exactly why you want to do it and know your PS very well, you'll probably be fine.

The acceptance rate of people invited for interview is just over 90%, which calms my nerves a bit.

Cool thanks, I saw your request for stats for mech eng on
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mecheng_application_statistics
Hopefully you can send them your name and we'll see what they come up with, see you then!
Original post by ZachyS7
Cool thanks, I saw your request for stats for mech eng on
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mecheng_application_statistics
Hopefully you can send them your name and we'll see what they come up with, see you then!

I forgot all about that! But I saw another answer for it already, look:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/interview_statistics_for_mechani
Reply 4
I forgot all about that! But I saw another answer for it already, look:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/interview_statistics_for_mechani

Fantastic, the stats look promising! How far are you travelling?
Original post by ZachyS7
Fantastic, the stats look promising! How far are you travelling?

It's going to take me about 3 hours, you?
Reply 6
It's going to take me about 3 hours, you?

I'm coming from Scotland so I'm catching a plane over, we don't have to do a test on the day do we?
Original post by ZachyS7
I'm coming from Scotland so I'm catching a plane over, we don't have to do a test on the day do we?

Not that I'm aware!!
Reply 8
Hey how did your interviews go today?
Nice to meet you all btw!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by genius10
Hey how did your interviews go today?
Nice to meet you all btw!

I really don't know what to think of mine..I got some pretty simple questions but still needed quite a bit of help to solve them 😂 Not optimistic about an offer at all. What about you?
I really don't know what to think of mine..I got some pretty simple questions but still needed quite a bit of help to solve them 😂 Not optimistic about an offer at all. What about you?

It's okay well done on completing your interview. As long as it wasn't a disaster I reckon you're good :smile:

Really? Mine went quite well id say. About 10 mins of C3 maths questions, managed to do the all 😁. Then just got roasted on ps for 20 mins lol. So overall not too bad!

But don't worry about it, escpecially since we were an early group. I spoke to some imperial students and they said if youre called up early you'll stand a better chance!

Also... I don't want to sound sexist, but Imperial sorta need girls to fill ratios so i recon that definately helps too :wink: (only 5 out of 40 people there were girls!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Rather pretentious name (genius10) no? and also please remember modesty "Really? Mine went quite well id say" ? :biggrin:

By the way we were told that we were going to get a reply within 10 days right? If anyone gets an offer please tell us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by genius10
Really? Mine went quite well id say. About 10 mins of C3 maths questions, managed to do the all 😁. Then just got roasted on ps for 20 mins lol. So overall not too bad!

But don't worry about it, escpecially since we were an early group. I spoke to some imperial students and they said if youre called up early you'll stand a better chance!

Also... I don't want to sound sexist, but Imperial sorta need girls to fill ratios so i recon that definately helps too :wink: (only 5 out of 40 people there were girls!)

Congrats on your interview going well. And I really don't think that my being a girl will make a difference. They don't need more girls - it'd be better, but all they need is a group of students who will do well on the course, and if they don't think I will then I doubt any exceptions will be made :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZachyS7
Rather pretentious name (genius10) no? and also please remember modesty "Really? Mine went quite well id say" ? :biggrin:

By the way we were told that we were going to get a reply within 10 days right? If anyone gets an offer please tell us.

Yes, the admissions tutor said 10 days!! So nervous. I reckon if we get offers, we'll all get them on the same day - they don't exactly have many to get through :smile:
Reply 15
Yes, the admissions tutor said 10 days!! So nervous. I reckon if we get offers, we'll all get them on the same day - they don't exactly have many to get through :smile:

I honestly don't know if I was good enough to recieve an offer but fingers crossed!!
A*AAA here :biggrin:

need to do a English test because I didn't do GCSE's :/ (EDIT: axtually they accept my gcse equivalent result.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
I received an offer for Mech Eng at 10.10pm today on UCAS don't worry guys I think the email are sent out in batches since I had my interview on the same day as Genius10!!

I am so happy but have to work really hard on my subjects as my offers are AAAA. I didn't think my interview went terribly well and honestly I felt deflated and sad for the past week but hey I got an offer and the long trip to London paid off.

So good luck everyone and I hope you get the results you are looking for. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZachyS7
I received an offer for Mech Eng at 10.10pm today on UCAS don't worry guys I think the email are sent out in batches since I had my interview on the same day as Genius10!!

I am so happy but have to work really hard on my subjects as my offers are AAAA. I didn't think my interview went terribly well and honestly I felt deflated and sad for the past week but hey I got an offer and the long trip to London paid off.

So good luck everyone and I hope you get the results you are looking for. :smile:

AAAA? Wow thats below the minimum offer. Well done and congratulations!!
Edit: is that that A-levels?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi congrats on ur offer !! Just wondering are you guys uk students or international applicants ?? Because i havent receive any reply from imperial at all till now ><
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest