The Student Room Group

What did you get in your GCSE's and how did you revise (if at all)

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, I'll try and reply to all :smile:

Scroll to see replies

3 A*'s, 11 A's and a B in ICT.

I only had a few textbooks: Spanish, History, the sciences and R.E and I read them on the bus journeys but did nothing apart from that as I didn't know what a past paper was or to do questions in the textbook.

If I could go back I'd write out key points from each topic for each subject, practice a few questions and past papers.
5A*5A1C

memorised a gcp revision guide for geography.
Did no past papers or any revision for any other subjects, I just flicked through a textbook 30 mins before each exam.

I did one GCSE in year 10.
It was my first actual exam and I was quite cautious.
Memorised the revision guide, made notes, memorised them and did all the past papers.
I crammed for everything aside from Maths, which I didn't even revise for.

A*AAAAAABBC
DO ALL PAST PAPERS for Maths and Science and Geography and Languages. MARK THEM YOURSELF!!! Do some for English and History (one or two) and MARK THEM YOURSELF see where you went wrong and what to concentrate revision on.
Achieved A*A*AAAAAAACC

I must've done 10-15 maths past papers to ensure that A*. As for the rest, I just paid attention in class and didn't need to do any revision. I wrote notes, but never looked at any of them. I guess writing them helped enforce the concepts, in way.

I got a C in geography because my school put me in for foundation by accident. By the time I had found out, it was already too late to change.
I got a C in French because I didn't revise it at all. You can't really get the highest grades in a language without memorizing the vocabulary and spending time actually learning the language. I realized this mid-way through the year, and decided to dedicate that effort into maths instead.
3A*s, 5As, 2Bs

Please see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375172 for more help and information and close this thread.
I got 13 A-C's.

Find out your learning style and revise towards it. EG; I'm a visual learner, so I made colourful posters with compact notes on. It got to the point where I could look at one word and remember a whole case study etc.
Reply 8
Original post by fii_xox
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, I'll try and reply to all :smile:

2Bs 8Cs.
Didn't revise much, if at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 A* 4A and 2B

Bs were in maths and eng language- two weakest subjects but was very lucky to get the B in maths- i spent so much time doing past papers as they do recycle questions!
I am a visual learner so mindmaps were great and definately do essay plans for essay subjects
Hey,

I got A*A*AAAAAABB and for the A*'s I went through EVERY SINGLE PAST PAPER, MARK SCHEME AND EXAMINER'S REPORT! They tell you what to do as well as what not to do! Its all very well knowing the content but you have to be able to apply the skills you've acquired. Make it easy for the examiner to mark! As for the others, I revised but not as much as for History and English!x
I got 7 A* s and 4 As and I think the best advice I can give you is to make notes after each lesson and check them against a text book/ spec so you have no holes in your knowledge and then past paper it..
I managed to get 10A*s. I just read the textbook going over things that I didn't understand properly, then I wrote out notes using the right keywords for exam technique.I tend to say stuff to myself whilst reading it, and make sure your understanding is sound because then you won't have to revise a lot.
In science I'd basically memorise my notes so in the exams I could regurgitate the perfect answer the examiner wants even though I understood it, as I always worry about exam technique!
For English and languages it was basically winging it because my memory was quite good for languages and in English you could literally make stuff up and get marks.
Maths is just past papers nearer to the exams and once your getting solid A*s in a row from doing them you can pretty much relax.

Art on the other hand... KEEP ON TOP OF YOUR COURSEWORK. omg I spent pretty much most of my time doing art never mind revising for my other subjects.
By the way all this revising started a month before exams so you can literally cram it all if your long-term memory isn't that great. Just make sure all coursework is out of the way so you can just focus on revision!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
A^A*A*A*ABBBCCC

Didn't revise much at GCSE at all really.
Reply 14
I got A*A*AAABBBCCC (not the best i know) with no revision for anything other than science

Spoiler

8A*s, 4As, 1B
I didn't do that much, made some revision cards a bit before the exam and then just went over them in the days leading up to the exam. And for science/maths i did past papers.
However, although i didn't do much revision i understood all the content which is why i didn't need to do much - basically you need to pay attention and learn the stuff throughout the year and then revision is pretty easy because you're just looking over stuff you already know.
Original post by ubisoft
A^A*A*A*ABBBCCC

Didn't revise much at GCSE at all really.

It is reflected by your grades.

Original post by LiquidGold
8A*s, 4As, 1B
I didn't do that much, made some revision cards a bit before the exam and then just went over them in the days leading up to the exam. And for science/maths i did past papers.
However, although i didn't do much revision i understood all the content which is why i didn't need to do much - basically you need to pay attention and learn the stuff throughout the year and then revision is pretty easy because you're just looking over stuff you already know.

Bull
Original post by Ihatespirometers
It is reflected by your grades.

Bull

It's not bull ****.
Just because you didn't get these grades with the same amount of effort doesn't mean it's not true.
I'm not saying it's fair, it's not, but i have a great memory for memorising facts, which is basically what GCSEs are all about. I'm not actually that clever; I'm not very innovative and not a great writer. But nontheless i have a good memory which is all you need to achieve good GCSE grades.
And why would i bother lying?
I got A*AAABBCDD. I don't actually know many people who have done worse than me. I was ill and was only able to attend about 50% of the year. I didn't revise but I'd say the grades were much more down to attendance than that. I went on to get 3 A*s at A-level and I have an interview at Cambridge. Just goes to show that GCSEs are little more than a knowledge test. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
5A*s, 6As 1B
For sciences I made summary revision notes for each topic condensed to 1 side of A4 which I pretty much memorised, watched a load of mygcsescience and did a few past papers to practise. My revision guides were my best friends.
For maths I didn't really work hard enough during the 2 years and kind of coasted along, but when it got to near the exam I used to watch the cgp maths tutor videos to revise as well as those achieve maths videos on YouTube where they talk you through each past paper and then I did some past papers to practise.
For geography/RS I used to make flash cards of all the content, and concentrated loads on exam technique so I had done pretty much every past exam question and knew what to write for it in the exam as questions got repeated a lot.
Languages- came pretty naturally so didn't really do a lot of revision, just made sure I was confident w grammar and tenses, I'd built up a pretty good vocab over the 2 years
English- try your absolute hardest in the controlled assessments, I had 100% in most of mine so it took off pressure for the exams, for lit I made essay plans and learnt my quotes whereas for Lang I just made sure I knew exam technique really well
art - ace your coursework and try to do well in the exam even though you're revising for other stuff by this point and don't have time to dedicate your life to your sketchbook
Music - did nearly no work over 2 years and my teacher couldn't be bothered to teach the course, hence I got a B, my lowest grade, in music. Try and do as well as possible in the coursework, for the exam I made little mind map summary notes which helped and there was a really good revision guide for the edexcel spec someone called Dan Conway posted on here, which is still on the 2014-15 edexcel GCSE music thread I think, so use that (lifesaver for the exam considering I hadn't been taught any of it in class). also, past papers are really helpful for music as questions get repeated a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest