The Student Room Group

I think I have been caught speeding.

Im on my R Plates driving as ive just passed my test two weeks ago. I was driving on the main road which is national speed limit. I overtook a learning driver and i was doing round 53mph. They flashed the lights at me and my first reaction was, did he check my number plate and call the police. I dont remember seeing any speed cameras or police with radar guns. Im getting worried that i have been caught. Any advice?
You only just recently had to learn your code, yet already you've forgotten that the national speed limit on a single carriageway is 60mph? Damn. I took my test 13 years ago and I still remember that being drilled into me.

You weren't speeding.

(and nobody would take down your license plate number and call the police even if you were speeding. That would be ridiculous.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dan3124
Im on my R Plates driving as ive just passed my test two weeks ago. I was driving on the main road which is national speed limit. I overtook a learning driver and i was doing round 53mph. They flashed the lights at me and my first reaction was, did he check my number plate and call the police. I dont remember seeing any speed cameras or police with radar guns. Im getting worried that i have been caught. Any advice?

You lack the common sense for driving, I suggest giving it up.
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
You only just recently had to learn your code, yet already you've forgotten that the national speed limit on a single carriageway is 60mph? Damn. I took my test 13 years ago and I still remember that being drilled into me.

You weren't speeding.

(and nobody would take down your license plate number and call the police even if you were speeding. That would be ridiculous.)

The maximum speed you can do on R Plates is 45MPH though!
Reply 4
Original post by Dan3124

You cannot be prosecuted for speeding based on a civilians speedometer. You will not be prosecuted for speeding.

Edit: As it's NI law I can't be sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dan3124

So you think that the police can prosecute a driver for speeding with no evidence at all except the word of a member of the public?

Seriously, for the safety of everybody around you, please sell your car as soon as possible and resort to using the bus.
Original post by Dan3124

Gotta admit I have no clue what an R plate is. When I passed my test, I passed my test. I could drive normally. Are R plates a new thing?

Anyway as others have said, nobody in their right mind would have called the police on you.

*edit* - just looked up R plates. Oh it's a Northern Irish thing? What a stupid concept! I can imagine a lot of people getting annoyed by R plate drivers.

Still though, no, you don't need to start panicking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
I dont think you were speeding mate..you were within the limit
Who actually puts R plates on hahahahahahahaha.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Gotta admit I have no clue what an R plate is. When I passed my test, I passed my test. I could drive normally. Are R plates a new thing?

Anyway as others have said, nobody in their right mind would have called the police on you.

*edit* - just looked up R plates. Oh it's a Northern Irish thing? What a stupid concept! I can imagine a lot of people getting annoyed by R plate drivers.

Still though, no, you don't need to start panicking.

Kind of like the P-Plates here, no idea what some people use them though.
Original post by SmellyProtein
Kind of like the P-Plates here, no idea what some people use them though.

The difference is that P plates are completely optional, over here once you pass your test you are held to the same laws as everybody else on the roads.

The R plate in Northern Ireland is a legal requirement.
Reply 11
Original post by mackemforever
So you think that the police can prosecute a driver for speeding with no evidence at all except the word of a member of the public?

Seriously, for the safety of everybody around you, please sell your car as soon as possible and resort to using the bus.

Not to worry.
This was just reminder to you Stay in SPEED LIMIT.
Drive safe and live long.:smile:
Original post by Dan3124

Ha, you're going to get banned. NSL is 53.2 MPH
Original post by Dan3124

You're fine

60mph speed limit

You have to be caught be a camera or police speedometer. Civilian heresay isn't reliable. Your ex could phone up the police saying you're speeding to spite you, for example (extreme one, admittedly.)
Did not know about the 45mph limit for newly passed drivers for Northern Ireland. What a silly and dangerous concept considering the speed differential, especially on the motorway.

Chances are, you'll be fine, unless you were caught by a speed camera. The instructor in the learner car may have taken down your plate details, but it would be harsh. You know what you did wrong, and whatever happens, you just have to make sure you're not in a position like that again;

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending