The Student Room Group

Think I've been caught speeding

I'm on my R Plates and was doing 53mph on a national speed limit road. There was no police cars with radar guns and I'm pretty sure there was no speed cameras. I overtook a learning driver and he flashed the lights. Did he get my number and called the police? Is that even possible? How do I check to see if I got caught?
Reply 1
If you do get something in the post saying you were speeding, you could claim you were overtaking so had to temporarily exceed the speed limit. But i highly doubt anything will happen to you if you weren't caught on camera
Reply 2
Original post by SimSembi
If you do get something in the post saying you were speeding, you could claim you were overtaking so had to temporarily exceed the speed limit. But i highly doubt anything will happen to you if you weren't caught on camera

I read that you can do 10% plus 2MPH over the limit without getting any offences in certain cases?
Reply 3
Original post by Dan3124
I'm on my R Plates and was doing 53mph on a national speed limit road. There was no police cars with radar guns and I'm pretty sure there was no speed cameras. I overtook a learning driver and he flashed the lights. Did he get my number and called the police? Is that even possible? How do I check to see if I got caught?

no.

National speed limit is 60 for single carriageways anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Dan3124
I read that you can do 10% plus 2MPH over the limit without getting any offences in certain cases?

yeah i heard something like that, but if there was no official way to pin you, youll be fine. Most likely the learner driver was nervous and you may have thrown him off a bit
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
no.

National speed limit is 60 for single carriageways anyway.

For R Plates your restricted to doing 45MPH :\
omg dont worry about it , i was doing 70 in a 50 and there was a speed camera i didnt see until i had reach it (if that makes sense) i thought ****! but i didnt see it flash so didnt think anything of it , never got anything through the post and bought a driving instructor will report you to the police lol

good luck :biggrin:
doubt*
Reply 8
Original post by Dan3124
For R Plates your restricted to doing 45MPH :\

Are you drivng in N Ireland?

Either way. Still no - a learner (or their instructor) is not going to report you and would have no evidence of your speed anyway.

But, next time, just slow down and keep to your R limit.

Or go and drive in the rest of the UK where the R plate doesn't apply...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending