The Student Room Group

Could Britain beat China in a war?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlwaysWatching
That was more

large armies were more of a response to controlling the empire and putting down dissent than actual preparation for war fighting. When was the last full war on the European continent? Napoleon?

Don't mean to be stubborn but... I submitted my opinion and I will not be swayed from it, yeah that sounds unreasonable but that's life.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Lmao

China Russia India would wipe the floor with us.

China maybe, but Russia and India? You having a laugh? How exactly can either country project force, sustain it, and have the intelligence and signals capabilities to outmaneuver us? More to the point, their soldiers are trained inferiorly to the British and drones/ airstrikes/ tomahawks put an end the superiority of numbers.
Do you think India would have seen all the violence after it was partitioned if colonial India wasn't connected the way it was? Would the USA have declared war on Germany in WW2 if its interests in Europe were threatened? Would so many countries have got involved in the Korean civil war in the 50s if there was no UN? Would we care about Kuwait being invaded by Iraq in the 90s if we weren't connected with the country economically, and watched it on our TV's?

That's very interesting, thanks!!
Though what about the future scope for clashes? Can you think of any examples of where there could be clashes due to interconnectedness?
Can Britain win against China in a battle? Yes.
Can Britain invade and take over China? No.
Can Britain invade China, take for example Hong Kong, and keep it? No.
Can Britain invade China, take for example the big island in south/Tibet, and keep it? Possibly.
Can China win against China in a battle? Yes.
Can China invade and take over Britain? No.
Can China invade Britain, take for example the Channel Islands, and keep them? No.
Can China invade China, take for example Pitcairn Islands, and keep them? Possibly.
Original post by Raiden10
Don't mean to be stubborn but... I submitted my opinion and I will not be swayed from it, yeah that sounds unreasonable but that's life.

I'm just saying
China maybe, but Russia and India? You having a laugh? How exactly can either country project force, sustain it, and have the intelligence and signals capabilities to outmaneuver us? More to the point, their soldiers are trained inferiorly to the British and drones/ airstrikes/ tomahawks put an end the superiority of numbers.

LOL ok Over your life time watch Britain decline further.

I know A LOT of people are starting to wake up to how behind the UK is but clearly SOME deluded people still buy into our media propaganda. We are a minnow who should stay out of global affairs.
Original post by hellodave5
That's very interesting, thanks!!
Though what about the future scope for clashes? Can you think of any examples of where there could be clashes due to interconnectedness?

South China see because of American economic interest, Eastern Europe because of NATO alliance with Baltic states and obviously the middle east/ Africa because resources/ humanitarian intervention (more aware of their plight)
Reply 47
Didn't realize TSR was a military thinktank.

I have absolutely no idea who would win. I don't know how you'd compare/measure. I also don't think many of us here are qualified to give an informed opinion either....
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/could-britain-beat-china/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=FacebookPage&utm_campaign=social

While China has a larger military than the United Kingdom, it does not have the logistical capability to deploy, support and sustain those forces overseas in large numbers. Professor Malcolm Chalmers, director of UK Defence Policy Studies at the renowned Royal United Services Institute, says Britain would have a clear advantage in a straight fight at an equidistant location.

I think he might have a point. I believe that, though it will never be a one on one fight, Britain has the capacity not to invade and dominate China physically, but could impose casualties and strategic defeats so significant, that China would have to submit defeat. Though it would be difficult, we would be able to project a capable expeditionary force that is effective and equipped, and keep them supplied. China could not do that and could not sustain itself in a theatre of operations in the long term.

The UK has 4 nuclear trident submarines 1 one which is always out a sea, and ready to launch, following a phone call from the primeminster. The answer is no. The UK without doubt could launch many nuclear bombs to Chinese cities. Mutually assured destruction would ensue, and China would never declare war with the UK.
It was less of speculation of Britain's ability to invade China or vice versa, but Britain's ability to fight a Falkland's style campaign against China. The latter is far more likely, given the fact that China is expanding territorially in the South China Sea. I can't see any reason for China to go nuclear in such a scenario, even if it did lose.

If it was an expeditionary Island retaking type of conflict, I think Britain has a good chance if it acted quickly before China had the chance to fortify and entrench. A rapid reaction and then consolidation by airborne and naval forces would be possible, and if successful, would not be easily retaken by China since it has not Blue water capabilities. If they wanted that Island for resources, the last thing they would do is nuke the place.

If it is an island China openly invaded and taken over, and Britain invades and takes it over, China will not just give up. The political and social atmospheres are not nearly as stable as most think they are in China, and the first actual sign of weakness will lead to a civil war in China.

If you're talking about the islands being taken over by Britain randomly of course China won't fight, just like it isn't fighting the Philippines, Vietnam, or Japan. But can you say Britain had beaten China in a war when there was never any fighting?
LOL ok Over your life time watch Britain decline further.

I know A LOT of people are starting to wake up to how behind the UK is but clearly SOME deluded people still buy into our media propaganda. We are a minnow who should stay out of global affairs.

I'm well aware how Britain is declining in status, but I am also aware in which what ways we are not. Its not a black and white issue. I'm also aware of how weak other states are relative to the UK. Name me the ships that make up India/ Russia blue water naval capability.

I can guarantee that I am far better informed on this subject than you if you cant even acknowledge that Britain has some relative strengths alongside its weaknesses.

I also didn't study this through the media, I'm a post grad military historian - this is my area.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm well aware how Britain is declining in status, but I am also aware in which what ways we are not. Its not a black and white issue. I'm also aware of how weak other states are relative to the UK.

I can guarantee that I am far better informed on this subject than you if you cant even acknowledge that Britain has some relative strengths alongside its weaknesses.

I also didn't study this through the media, I'm a post grad military historian - this is my area.

Well clearly you wasted your time. You have no idea, this post grad was done in Britain? LOL

This threads full of the deluded working class.
Original post by JD1lla
Didn't realize TSR was a military thinktank.

I have absolutely no idea who would win. I don't know how you'd compare/measure. I also don't think many of us here are qualified to give an informed opinion either....

You'd be surprised. There must be at least some people on here with a good level of knowledge on military history and international relations, it is a student forum.
Original post by DavidMIliband
The UK has 4 nuclear trident submarines 1 one which is always out a sea, and ready to launch, following a phone call from the primeminster. The answer is no. The UK without doubt could launch many nuclear bombs to Chinese cities. Mutually assured destruction would ensue, and China would never declare war with the UK.

China only needs to nuke London and it'd be literally the end of the UK - 22% of its GDP just gone, 14% of the population gone, everyone important in politics gone, numerous very best universities/research centres gone.

There are 100+ Chinese cities the size of Birmingham (UK's second-largest city), and this is not considering the fact that they also have Macau, which is the region with the highest GDP per capita in the world.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
If it is an island China openly invaded and taken over, and Britain invades and takes it over, China will not just give up. The political and social atmospheres are not nearly as stable as most think they are in China, and the first actual sign of weakness will lead to a civil war in China.

If you're talking about the islands being taken over by Britain randomly of course China won't fight, just like it isn't fighting the Philippines, Vietnam, or Japan. But can you say Britain had beaten China in a war when there was never any fighting?

Could the very fact that China was repelled by a foreign army in a campaign of its own choosing by the very act that sets of political and social unrest? Look at the Russian revolution of 1917 for example. A civil therefore occurring before China gets its act together (not to mention has to piece together from the beginning an entirely new invasion force)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
You'd be surprised. There must be at least some people on here with a good level of knowledge on military history and international relations, it is a student forum.

Anybody can read up on military history and international relationships.

Talking about the current capability of the UKs Armed Forces is different. Especially when comparing them to China. I don't think you can gauge how effective our military is from what we can find online. Only those at the top will truly know.

If anybody here who IS actually well informed please do correct me if wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well clearly you wasted your time. You have no idea, this post grad was done in Britain? LOL

This threads full of the deluded working class.

No I'm at Kings College.

if you have nothing to add thats informed and intelligent, why are you posting?
Could the very fact that China was repelled by a foreign army in a campaign of its own choosing by the very act that sets of political and social unrest? Look at the Russian revolution of 1917 for example.

Yes, it could. But:
1. let's say Britain takes over a random island and China doesn't fight back - China may collapse but that has nothing to do with 'Britain beating China';
2. let's say Britain takes over a random island and China does fight back - in this case China will do everything to take it back especially if it's not easy at first. There's no way Britain can keep it. What's the worst for China? They can deplore an army the same size as all of Britain's just to take a tiny island. They can even nuke it and no-one's getting it.

What I mean is: If they're not desperate, they won't actually fight, and so Britain didn't beat China in a war; if they're desperate, there's no way Britain can and will pour in unlimited manpower and money into keeping an obscene island.
Original post by JD1lla
Anybody can read up on military history and international relationships.

Talking about the current capability of the UKs Armed Forces is different. Especially when comparing them to China. I don't think you can gauge how effective our military is from what we can find online. Only those at the top will truly know.

If anybody here who IS actually well informed please do correct me if wrong.

That's true. It was only of course a speculative thread on what we know from journals and other open sources of information.
I was just reading the comments on the blog. Dead at the blog writer keeps calling everyone with a different opinion stupid without a rebuttal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending