The Student Room Group

Studying at Maharishi Univ Iowa

Hi everybody

I'm new here and Its my first post on the forums..:smile:

I'm planning to continue my education this year.. I stopped my studies after my bachelor degree due to some responsibilities of family. So now.. i want to start my masters degree in computer software.

I'm planning to take admission in Maharishi university of management, Fairfield Iowa. I chose this uni cos they are offering good loans and scholarships for every student. plus students will get a chance to work professionally with some software company.

1- What do u think about the market value of the degree of Maharishi university. is it competitive.

2- Is there any other university which can provide me better quality education with scholarships/loans.

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 1
Why not go for a PhD? You'd have more employment options and a lot more options for funding. Essentially you could get paid to go to school.
Reply 2
its not that good a university.. u should probably try to get into UIUC. dat is a good university or may be university of rochester.
Reply 3
boston university is also good and quite generous in providing scholarships.. see if u can get in
Reply 4
warblersrule
Why not go for a PhD? You'd have more employment options and a lot more options for funding. Essentially you could get paid to go to school.

thats true but u know I've a total of 15 years education.. I can't apply for phd.
Reply 5
life sux
boston university is also good and quite generous in providing scholarships.. see if u can get in

Boston univ. :"Eligibility for federal and University need-based aid is limited to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible noncitizens who are living within the US for purposes other than studying."
and I'm an internatinal student.

thanks life sux anyways !

Any suggestion for european universities?
Reply 6
iSaami
Hi everybody

I'm planning to continue my education this year.. I stopped my studies after my bachelor degree due to some responsibilities of family. So now.. i want to start my masters degree in computer software.

I'm planning to take admission in Maharishi university of management, Fairfield Iowa. I chose this uni cos they are offering good loans and scholarships for every student. plus students will get a chance to work professionally with some software company.

1- What do u think about the market value of the degree of Maharishi university. is it competitive.

2- Is there any other university which can provide me better quality education with scholarships/loans.

Unless they've drastically changed in the last few years, I'd answer your questions thusly:

1 - Market Value: microscopic

2 - Almost anywhere else

See: http://weblog.ceicher.com/archives/2004/03/blogtv_men_are_from_mars_mahar.html

pressed for time right now, but will post more later.
Reply 8
Thank you very much TexasGrad !

you know, companies shortlist the CV on your education... they have no concern either you fly in the air or not. Meditation is good but not that much that one could compromise on education.

The only thing which attracts me are two things.
1- you will start working with some company after 7.5 months study Link
2- You will pay after completing the degree

You know I have working experience of 5 years in programming. It will be difficult to work on small jobs while studying like salesman or waiter on some resturant, like my other friends did to support themselves when they went for their higher education in europe or america.

The problem for me is the finances otherwise I could've taken admission in some good university. now I can't wait for two more years to save money for university. time is passing and after a certain period in your career your degrees and education don't matter. your experience shows everything.
iSaami
Hi everybody

They are weird.
"Private college founded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi"
They have courses in yogic flying.
Your degree will be worthless.

Sure they will pay you.
But what about your time ? Is that worthless ? Go to a reputable institution.
"In the 1970s, Maharishi's unaccredited schools in Europe were closed and a new campus, Maharishi International University, was established at Fairfield, Iowa, about 25 miles from my home. It took a few years, but somehow the tiny college managed to get accreditation recognized by the US Department of Education. But it is possible to get a degree from an accredited college and still be a fraud.

The primary reason Maharishi University was created was to teach the Sidhi Course. In order to gain accreditation, they must also teach other courses in math, science, etc., but those courses are always described as Vedic Science, Vedic Math, etc. and are all merely preparatory studies for the Sidhi Course. Somehow I doubt these courses are as worthwhile as regular science and math courses at conventional universities.

Maharishi University's notoriety comes largely from the course they consider their highest teaching, levitation. The largest building on campus is known as the "Golden Dome," normal people would describe it as a gymnasium, except this building's sole function is to provide a place for practicing levitation. "
http://weblog.ceicher.com/archives/2004/03/blogtv_men_are_from_mars_mahar.html

Here is a brilliantly bizarre picture from their web site.
Reply 11
No offense, but the colleges that have to resort to promising employment after graduation are usually the really, really bad ones.
Having this university on your CV will only get you laughed at.
Reply 13
I have heard about this Maharishi affair. I remember watching shows on Indian TV with that dude Jogi on it, it was a complete farce. They had their own TV channel and it was bull**** I tell you. All this seems like a big farce and their so called University seems not very serious. Sure you want to go their because they give you good employment prospects and financial support and such. But are you sure they can hold their promise of employment? How can one promise employment? Sorry but I would urge you to look at another college/university. For example take a look at this thread on TSR http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=369037
It discusses lesser known colleges but still very good. Forget the whole Maharishi thing, to me it seems like a complete joke. You really want to go to a University where they claim to teach people how to fly?

Latest

Trending

Trending