The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

State of rooms at SSA/GDS??

Hey i know there are threads atm regarding accomodation etc.i was just wondering if somone who's already at king's can let me know what the state of the rooms at the apartments actually is.

are they quite old etc.is the "ensuite" just a scummy shower and 1 that is quite bothering me at the moment is the beds..r the mattresses really gross?i hate to think of all the people that have slept on them and all the dustmites&crap that are in them?!

am not expecting 5*luxury but don't want to be living in a dive for the price i'm going to be paying!!
willow86
Hey i know there are threads atm regarding accomodation etc.i was just wondering if somone who's already at king's can let me know what the state of the rooms at the apartments actually is.

are they quite old etc.is the "ensuite" just a scummy shower and 1 that is quite bothering me at the moment is the beds..r the mattresses really gross?i hate to think of all the people that have slept on them and all the dustmites&crap that are in them?!

am not expecting 5*luxury but don't want to be living in a dive for the price i'm going to be paying!!

If you looked at my pictures in older accommodation threads, you'd see that GDSA and SSA are way newer that typical university accommodation. The first time I visited someone in intercollegiate halls, I was shocked at how dated the furniture and building were.

All uni rooms, regardless of residence, require personalisation and jazzing up, so be prepared to do that wherever you go, but make sure you get the best place possible by picking GDSA and SSA as your top two residences.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
If you don't like your mattress, say that it is broken (wire sticking out) and they will dump a brand new mattress in your room... at least that is what they did for me.

The ensuite is just a shower opposite a toilet, but its better than some! It's perfectly usable and is fine if you keep it clean.
If you're not too bothered about catered halls, then I would highly recommend applying to Canterbury Hall. The rooms are quite a bit bigger than SSA, and you actually get a proper bathroom (with a bathtub) that you only have to share with one other person. Plus the location is amazing.

The main benefits to SSA and GDSA are the fact that they're self-catering and their proximity to campuses. Aside from that, I hear they're a bit overrated...
Reply 4
I'm in SSA - the fact that your rooms and kitchens don't get cleaned for you is a big downside, definitely.

However, I wasn't really bothered about the state of the place, I chose it on location location location and Stamford Street is walking distance from amazing stuff and I am soooo happy here.

Depends how picky and snobby you are about places I guess. But this is perfectly habitable and with this postcode I'd happily live in a storage unit...

I've been told that intercollegiate hall bedrooms are much smaller than here. But GDSA have nicer bathrooms.

PM me if you want to know more about SSA, I can send you pictures.
I've been told that intercollegiate hall bedrooms are much smaller than here.

I don't think so. SSA rooms are tiny, from what I've heard. My room in Canterbury Hall was decent sized.

http://www.student360.com/main/index.asp?header=22&uniid=362&page=04
Reply 6
They're not tiny. Depends what you're comparing them to.
Here's mine:

(Apologies, just took some random spontaneous pictures of my very messy room, some from odd angles ie from the ceiling in the corner, to try and illustrate what the room is like. Obviously it's my room, it's personalised and very cluttered because I'm a hoarding kind of person. I've had two friends sleep over with me in this room before though. And I reckon I could fit four friends in here in an emergency, lol. There is a big gap around my telly where I had to move it forward and out to get reception, so don't let that fool you):
Reply 7
thanks for posting the pics,have got another few questions tho im afraid!!

am i right in thinking some of the rooms don't have windows at SSA?what happens if i end up with one of those??

when do i find out where my accomodation will be?are people with unconditional offers given theirs first??
Reply 8
Erm, I don't know of any rooms without windows!!!

There are a few rooms which are slightly smaller that I've heard about but I think you get a discount in your rent if you agree to take one of those.
Some lucky bastards who get allocated rooms on the North East corner of the building get freakishly huge rooms with several windows though...

You find out about accomodation after results in August. I don't think unconditional offer people have an advantage, seeing as they don't allocate till after results, but people who put KCL as their Insurance choice instead of firm might have a slight disadvantage I think... not sure.

Latest