The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

What are Australia doing? Current partnership is 7 out of 70 balls. They could easily up the run rate and go for a win. Didn't expect this defensive approach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Johnson rumours had been building for a while, not a massive shock. Bizarre career in many ways but I reckon the 13/14 Ashes and his subsequent tour to South Africa was the best fast bowling I'd ever seen. During that spell, and to an extent after it, he had an aura about him that only genuine superstars have, an aura that even someone like Dale Steyn didn't have. Not saying Johnson > Steyn, but when Mitch was at his best you'd turn a game on just to watch him, and that's incredibly rare in a cricketer.
Done pretty well to last to 34 as a fast bowler.
That Ashes tour got Johnson's average down from like 33 to 27 ffs, was a joy to watch proper fast bowling though. Nothing better in cricket.
Reply 44
Posted my Johnson thoughts here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1921396&page=499

Shame that the pitch at the WACA was so uninspiring really. It robbed us of a potentially great Test. Impressive batting performances on both sides, but this second Test will (rightly) be remembered for Johnson. I'll miss his presence in the Ashes, to be honest.
Pakistan's run outs were comical, namely Malik. Mustered up extra runs but fully expect England to ride the tough storm early on to milk the slower bowlers to a victory. ODI team for Pakistan is in a state of flux, no really positives or sparks to yearn for.

Johnson's retirement a surprise but he's maximised his comeback and shown alot of mental strength after 2010/11 to the point he had such a a debilitating impact on England's batsmens in 13/14 without even bowling a ball. I thought he might play in the T20 team for next year's WC but imagine he'll be on the T20 franchise tour across the world now.

Also, poor form from Australia for not shaking Taylor's hand after the end of the day's play yesterday. Saw quotes from Dirk Nannes critical of that decision.
Johnson was my favourite cricket player so it's sad to see him go :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Aky786UK
Pakistan's run outs were comical, namely Malik. Mustered up extra runs but fully expect England to ride the tough storm early on to milk the slower bowlers to a victory. ODI team for Pakistan is in a state of flux, no really positives or sparks to yearn for.

Really poor running between the wickets, and there is such a thing as throwing wickets away. Pakistan are definitely guilty of that, to be honest.

Irfan is such an oddly shaped human being.
Reply 48
Twitter full of people (Michael Vaughan included) saying Pakistan are fixing…**** off. They have a dreadful run out record in general, and are prone to performances like this now and then. No one said we were fixing when Root hit a full toss down a fielder’s throat or when Morgan played down leg stump to one that clipped the outside of off stump, no one said Australia were fixing when they were bowled out for 60, but when it’s Pakistan everyone’s prejudices come out. Horrible accusations to make on spurious evidence.
Reply 49
Anyway...

So happy that Taylor and Buttler put that partnership together in pretty tough circumstances, such a fan of both of them. Taylor is close to being a must pick in all formats now. There was so much negativity after the first ODI, I said we were a decent side. Particularly happy (and a little surprised) that the bowlers got the job done today, although it seems Pakistan gave them a lot of help.

Big theme of Morgan’s leadership has been sticking by his players, even when they’re not doing too well. We’ve seen it for a long time with Hales and Roy at the top of the order. We’ve seen it this series with Rashid in terms of when he’s bowling and the reviews he has been given. And we’ve seen it with Buttler, not just keeping him in the side but keeping him at no.6. Obviously there’s a balance to be struck and you don’t want to be sticking with lost causes, but broadly it’s a very good trait to have. He has really impressed as a leader.
Pleased for Buttler! Much need confidence booster.
Original post by Louis.
Twitter full of people (Michael Vaughan included) saying Pakistan are fixing…**** off. They have a dreadful run out record in general, and are prone to performances like this now and then. No one said we were fixing when Root hit a full toss down a fielder’s throat or when Morgan played down leg stump to one that clipped the outside of off stump, no one said Australia were fixing when they were bowled out for 60, but when it’s Pakistan everyone’s prejudices come out. Horrible accusations to make on spurious evidence.

WTF..

Vaughan is prone to the odd sensationalist comment but this is ludicrous. Maybe smooching with Liz Hurley during the All Stars game has fluffd his brain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
England have won a second one day game in a row! Let's hope they can make it three.
Vaughan talks *******s, always says controversial ****e to get his name out there. Was a bottlejob in the field as well, I had better hands than him.
Reply 54
Buttler's return to form shows just how sporadic sport - and cricket especially - can be. He could have been out today before he scored, and he shouldn't have endured that run out the other day. It just shows the fine margins in the game, and I'm delighted he stuck through the rut and ended up scoring today. He admitted post-match in his Sky interview that he had been doubting himself.

Heck of a knock from Taylor, and the duo's combination and partnership was a delight. England had me worried when they were four down, in truth, but those two are such gems and you've got to say that Taylor is an ODI captain in waiting.
Original post by Louis.

Havent heard of this, what are the reasons behind this allegation? Just because PAK lost? Is he saying England couldn't possibly have won and only due to fixing they did?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by Enginerd.
Havent heard of this, what are the reasons behind this allegation? Just because PAK lost? Is he saying England couldn't possibly have won and only due to fixing they did?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 'reasons' were that Pakistan were playing ****. "3 Run Outs and a few iffy shots for Pakistan...Never seen that before" was Vaughan's first tweet, and others were suggesting similar things. Essentially I think it boiled down to the run outs, which could only have been a result of fixing and not at all related to the fact this is a long term problem for Pakistan. They have, by far, the highest number of run outs across all formats in this calendar year. But don't let that get in the way of the 'Pakistan are cheats' narrative.
Pakistan are ranked 2 in tests and T20s but 9 in ODIs. They are so rubbish in this format, it's unbelievable.

I really like the look of James Taylor. He seems to be a decent prospect for the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Pakistan were error strewn yesterday. England were pretty unremarkable, but solid. They should have won on a canter, but Taylor and Buttler will rightly take the plaudits after dragging us out of the mire.

Interestingly, I really like this combination of Willey and Topley. Don't get me wrong - on paper, it shouldn't trouble batsmen at an elite level. But they are causing problems for Pakistan. The latter should be looked at with the red ball for the eventuality that Anderson retires, in my view. He needs a couple of decent seasons at county level first, mind.
Reply 59
Finn and Wood will both miss the South Africa tour. Our plan of Broad, Anderson and rotating those two looked alright as well. They're talking about an ankle operation for Wood, I just hope he comes out the other side a similar bowler. No guarantees of that with his history.

Hope Footitt is given a decent go, he has been knocking on the door for ages and deserves a shot. It's crucial we avoid what happened before Wood's emergence, when Broad and Anderson looked dangerous but the other seamers released all the pressure.

Edit- Finn has just tweeted that his tour isn't "written off completely", and that he hopes to be back "sooner rather than later". Good news.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest