The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Real shame that England lose Mark Wood and Steven Finn for South Africa Tests, but it's great that Ben Stokes is back in the reckoning.

Realistically, we'll take five seamers - Broad, Anderson, plus three others alongside all-rounder Stokes.

You'd imagine that the options are Plunkett, Woakes, Jordan, and Footitt. I think that Willey and Topley will get chances eventually, but after some decent game time at county level with the red ball.

You can bet the former two will be included, but I hope Footitt is given a chance too. His average with both bat and ball is superior to Plunkett.
Original post by Zerforax
Prediction - in 4 years time Bangladesh will be seen as one of the best sides in the world :colondollar:

In the shorter formats, this is seriously a real possibility. In tests though, I just hope they manage one or two wins against a team other than West Indies or Zimbabwe lol.
Original post by Mackay
Real shame that England lose Mark Wood and Steven Finn for South Africa Tests, but it's great that Ben Stokes is back in the reckoning.

Realistically, we'll take five seamers - Broad, Anderson, plus three others alongside all-rounder Stokes.

You'd imagine that the options are Plunkett, Woakes, Jordan, and Footitt. I think that Willey and Topley will get chances eventually, but after some decent game time at county level with the red ball.

You can bet the former two will be included, but I hope Footitt is given a chance too. His average with both bat and ball is superior to Plunkett.

I like footitt
Reply 63
Shaun Marsh called into Australia squad for Adelaide Test against New Zealand.

Steve O’Keefe and James Pattinson also called up.
Reply 65
So, Bell has been dropped. That's his career over, you'd imagine. He has been a heck of an International cricket (FIVE Ashes wins!!) but he has been a dwindling talent for some time now, and is unreliable in the field.

No century for 23 innings sums it up, despite a high score of 63 in the UAE against Pakistan.

Full squad
Cook (capt), Moeen Ali, Anderson, Bairstow, Ballance, Broad, Buttler, Compton, Footitt, Hales, Jordan, Patel, Root, Stokes, Taylor, Woakes.

Why no Plunkett? I'm glad Footitt is included, but now the selectors need to play him. I imagine Woakes and Jordan will feature, though.
Yes I'd have thought Plunkett would be ideal for those type of wickets. Rashid axed but think Ali might suffice on this tour.

KP isn't happy on Bell's exclusion but imagine that's more because he's a director of the management company that represents his mate Belly and any chance to dig out the ECB of course and, a TV show about him on ITV 4 tonight (which tbh will watch to see if his ego has diluted at all since his exit from the team).
Reply 67
Just seen that KP video. Jesus Christ. You can't really argue with Bell's omission, in truth. I'm a big fan of his, but his eyes have been letting him down both at the stumps, between the wickets, and in the field.
Reply 68
Cook, Hales, Ballance, Root, Taylor, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Broad, Anderson, Footitt.

That'll be the team for the Boxing Day Test, I imagine. It'll be a gruelling few months for England. Lasting until February, they'll play a whole lot of cricket - not least those who will perform in all three formats (Hales, Root, Taylor, Stokes etc.)
Wait, so England shouldn't have dropped Thorpe for KP according to KP's logic.

Bell shouldn't have gone to the emirates ffs.

Goodbye Mr so near but yet so far.
Reply 70
Original post by atom y humber
Wait, so England shouldn't have dropped Thorpe for KP according to KP's logic.

Bell shouldn't have gone to the emirates ffs.

Goodbye Mr so near but yet so far.

KP's logic has never made sense.

Every thing he says should be taken with a lump of salt, rather than a pinch. Notice how he hasn't backed James Taylor after brutally dismantling his potential in his autobiography, too.

Apparently he has a new book out soon. I can't wait for him to appear everywhere promoting it.
KP is thoroughly dislikeable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Glad that Pup has spoken up for himself. He's fired some serious shots at Hayden, Symonds and in particular Buchanan.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/20/michael-clarke-slams-hayden-symonds-and-buchanan-for-ashes-pot-shots
Reply 73
Original post by Mackay
Cook, Hales, Ballance, Root, Taylor, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Broad, Anderson, Footitt.

That'll be the team for the Boxing Day Test, I imagine. It'll be a gruelling few months for England. Lasting until February, they'll play a whole lot of cricket - not least those who will perform in all three formats (Hales, Root, Taylor, Stokes etc.)

Unless Ballance has discovered his front foot I'd be very wary of playing him against Steyn et al.

Lots of options for 3. Chance to play Taylor at 3 and Bairstow at 5. Or, and this is what I think will end up happening, Compton and Hales will both play. Both have spent plenty of time batting at 3 for their counties so I think they may both end up in the top 3 with Cook. And if this doesn't work just pick another opener at 4. And then another at 5. One will eventually come good.

Delighted that Footitt is in and really hope he plays, but disappointed that Plunkett isn't around. Not convinced by Woakes as a test bowler and don't rate Jordan at all. Oh well.
****ing boiling in Dubai. The locals seem to think we'll be up for this, I beg to differ. Sense a resounding England win.
Reply 75
Original post by Louis.
Unless Ballance has discovered his front foot I'd be very wary of playing him against Steyn et al.

Lots of options for 3. Chance to play Taylor at 3 and Bairstow at 5. Or, and this is what I think will end up happening, Compton and Hales will both play. Both have spent plenty of time batting at 3 for their counties so I think they may both end up in the top 3 with Cook. And if this doesn't work just pick another opener at 4. And then another at 5. One will eventually come good.

Delighted that Footitt is in and really hope he plays, but disappointed that Plunkett isn't around. Not convinced by Woakes as a test bowler and don't rate Jordan at all. Oh well.

Of course, his footwork is an issue. He is drastically short of quality in that area, and the SA quicks will destroy him unless his rest has seen him recover some mental and physical aptitude.

I'd love Taylor or Compton at three, but I'm unsure the selectors will feature the latter.
Reply 76
Roy with 102, and Root with 71. That'll do nicely.
Only Pakistan can help out of form players regain form. Azhar needs to go. Don't know who will replace him but losing ODIs constantly is disappointing, especially at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing our batting won't be great also. Prediction? Lose by 100 runs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stunning from Buttler. 100 off 46 and the last 50 off just 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest