The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1
Well played Pakistan, glad we won. I am still sad to see West Indies lose so much, however. It is nice to see them putting up a bit of a fight from time to time but they have much more potential than this IMO.

Am I correct in thinking that this will probably be Misbah's last test series in the UAE? :frown:

Most likely, his and Younis's, can't think of a suitable replacement though. In my eyes he is the best if not one of the best test captains Pakistan ever had.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1961
Misbah was bang on the money when he said his bowlers propelled Pakistan to victory. It was really, really tough to take 20 wickets on that pitch.

Elsewhere, NZ have won their first toss of their Indian tour! They are batting first in the fourth ODI. Sodhi, Devcich and Santner are all playing, perhaps suggesting the pitch is spin-friendly and will play slowly. BJ Watling is also playing, in place of Ronchi, who managed a paltry seven runs in three ODI matches prior to today on this tour.

India made an enforced change with Dhawal Kulkarni, replacing Jasprit Bumrah, and they left out their third spinner Jayant Yadav and stuck to a trio of seamers: Umesh Yadav, Dhawal Kulkarni, and Hardik Pandya.
Original post by Enginerd.
Most likely, his and Younis's, can't think of a suitable replacement though. In my eyes he is the best if not one of the best test captains Pakistan ever had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree, I feel he is the best captain we have ever had. He took a team that was literally at it's lowest of it's lows and brought it up to a top team. It will be very sad when they both retire.
Reply 1963
India set a target of 261 to win the series by NZ, who were spearheaded by Guptill in their innings, with the batsmen firing a 72.

The opening stand was a hefty one with Latham first to fall, caught by Rahane off the bowling of Patel, for 39 runs before Williamson and Taylor did their best to get starts - 41 and 35 respectively - but the latter threw away his wicket, cleverly run out by the hosts after Dhoni had caught the former behind off the bowling of Mishra.

Dhoni was responsible for Guptill falling, too, this time from the bowling of Pandya, but his 84-ball 72 was impressive. NZ will be disappointed to see their middle order fail yet again, though. Neesham - caught by Kohli off Mishra, who ended with two wickets for 42 runs, going at 4.20 an over - made a paltry 5, while the returning Watling was caught by Sharma off Kulkarni for 14, and Pandya caught Devcich for just over 10 too.

Kulkarni proved the most expensive - going at 8.5 an hour with 59 runs conceded off his seven overs - but India will be confident they can chase this total, especially with Kohli and Dhoni full of confidence, and the former's penchant for being a match-winner in chasing situations.
Original post by usycool1
I completely agree, I feel he is the best captain we have ever had. He took a team that was literally at it's lowest of it's lows and brought it up to a top team. It will be very sad when they both retire.

It's a shame they weren't appreciated enough.
It's difficult with Misbah and Younus in terms of when they go as they are still performing well and showing a level of fitness that can only be admired with their respective ages. Plus playing in a team that is fairly bereft of any BS politicking of the old days so there's every likelihood that they could continue past the series v NZ/Australia. Out of the two, I'd say Misbah might be the first to go rather than Younus as the latter has talked about the difficulties personally playing in the UAE. But it's good to see Pakistan at least trying to shape a future without them with Aslam/Azhar/Shafiq in the top three and if they can develop other players to take over Younus/Misbah then they might not endure such a difficult period when they do depart.
Reply 1966
India 50 up after losing Rohit early, but Rahane is fluent in the chase and you wonder whether NZ will come to rue their slow scoring. After being well set on 161-2 after 30 overs, NZ managed only three boundaries in the last ten overs, one of which came off the final ball of the innings.
New Zealand! Southee, tipped it in favour of the visitors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1968
England set to deploy Ansari for Friday's Test match, rumour has it, in favour of either Batty or Rashid.

The omission of Batty probably makes more sense from a long-term perspective, because dropping Rashid could prove to be a dent to this confidence. The pitch is set to spin from the off, which would mean Batty's control is more useful than Rashid's turn from the outset, but Batty is happy to be touring at all and dropping him won't affect his mindset you imagine.

Ansari's inclusion - with him being a left-armer - is a must, too: the Indian batting lineup contains nine right-handers and two left-handers and, on spinning tracks, it is far harder to play the ball spinning away from the bat.

His Test debut will come a year later than anticipated, but Moeen and Rashid, if both picked, will need to become more effective against right-handed batsmen in the second Test. The former got five wickets in the first Test against Bangladesh, all of which were left-handers.

Apparently Steven Finn, who made his England debut in Bangladesh six years ago, will replace Broad. Unfortunately, that means no place for Buttler or Hameed, with Bayliss saying he wants to stick with the top six from the first Test. Ballance is lucky to keep his spot, you have to say.
Well played NZ, but they should've wrapped it up a while ago. Series is level!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slightly old news, but I'm shocked Bairstow has the record for most calendar year runs by a keeper. He's undoubtedly he'd a brilliant 2016, but with the likes of Sangakkara and Gilchrist ID have thought he would've needed a lot more. He's seemingly done it at a canter. Gilly came in later down the order so fair enough, but surprised Sangakkara doesn't hold the record. Could it be that I just have a slightly biased view on Sanga as he scored shed loads off runs after giving up the gloves?
Reply 1971
Full credit to NZ, who after Guptill's inspired half-century, saw some brilliant bowling from Southee and Neesham strangle India to tie the series. It all goes down to a decider at Visakhapatnam - and you imagine NZ will be looking to win the toss and hoping it proves pivotal once again!

Southee had Sharma removed early and continued that pressure, dismissing Jadhav and Pandya to strangle the Indian chase. Neesham, meanwhile, got rid of Rahane and Dhoni - two huge scalps - while Sodhi chipped in with the wicket of Kohli, justifying his recall.

Axar Patel and Mishra enjoyed a 38-run partnership for the eighth wicket, and Dhawal Kulkarni and Umesh Yadav added 34 for the last wicket, but the home side were dismissed for 241 in 48.4 overs.

Original post by The Wavefunction
Slightly old news, but I'm shocked Bairstow has the record for most calendar year runs by a keeper. He's undoubtedly he'd a brilliant 2016, but with the likes of Sangakkara and Gilchrist ID have thought he would've needed a lot more. He's seemingly done it at a canter. Gilly came in later down the order so fair enough, but surprised Sangakkara doesn't hold the record. Could it be that I just have a slightly biased view on Sanga as he scored shed loads off runs after giving up the gloves?

I think what is even more reassuring going forward is his performance with the gloves in Chittagong, which was arguably his most quietly impressive and astute wicket-keeping display as a Test player yet.

Bairstow racked up the record in 18 innings - it took Andy Flower 16 to set the initial record back in 2000 - and, in context, Bairstow now has Michael Vaughan's record of the most Test runs in a calendar year (1,481 in 26 innings in 2002) by an England batsman within his sight.
Seen a couple of journalists talking up Bairstow's performance with the gloves, but not sure you can do that with his drop off Broad in mind. It was an absolute sitter really, and came at a really high pressure point in the last innings when the game was in the balance. Can't afford to do that as a keeper.
Reply 1973
Original post by Louis.
Seen a couple of journalists talking up Bairstow's performance with the gloves, but not sure you can do that with his drop off Broad in mind. It was an absolute sitter really, and came at a really high pressure point in the last innings when the game was in the balance. Can't afford to do that as a keeper.

I do agree, but I think the conditions and the concentration needed behind the stumps for every single delivery and every single second of a Test match are mitigating factors.

If that drop was to have come at Edgbaston, Lord's or Old Trafford, I think it'd be analysed more.

After all, Chittagong was probably the hardest conditions these England cricketers will face this winter and on the subcontinent this year.

It was very tough there - owing to a few things and factors, most notably the extreme heat and unpredictable bounce.
Original post by Enginerd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Better than the Imran Khan- who is one of greatest captains of all time? Misbah is a great captain- transforming a team that was in shambles to one of the top test teams in the world ( despite all the hate he was recieving at the time). But he didn't accomplish much in ODI due to his slightly defensive captaincy.
Reply 1975
Also think it's worth taking the Bairstow hype with a pinch of salt, because typically, journalists will get one player before the Test doing pre-match interviews and this time, given he broke the record last time out, it's Bairstow being thrust into the limelight.
Jonny Bairstow now has the most runs for a Test wicketkeeper in a calendar year, beating Zimbabwe's Andy Flower who made 1045 runs in 2000.

:rolleyes:

Let's just ignore the fact that he's played more innings than the rest of the top 5. His average is also lower than the next 3 below him.

Such a pointless stat.
Reply 1977
So, Ansari will play, it has been confirmed. It's the correct decision, giving his ability as a left-armer and the ability to spin it away from the Bangladeshi batsmen, and it's right that Batty departs, giving Rashid and Ansari the chance to slug it out. Ansari actually had a middling Championship season - averaging 27 with the bat and claiming only 22 wickets, compared to Leach's impressive haul of 68, but I'm excited to see him feature. I hope he doesn't experience the nightmare Test debut Kerrigan did.

Let's hope Ballance makes a few, too. If he can't succeed against Bangladesh it is hard to see how he can be expected to achieve much against India.

Mushfiqur says his team need to be consistent, while Tamim says Bangladesh can't be content with losing narrowly. Both of those comments show how far Bangladesh have come.

Looking forward to the Test. A 2-0 series win for England would lift them above Australia to No. 3 in the ICC rankings.
Reply 1978
Really poor collapse from Bangladesh this. From 171-1 to 215 all out. A collapse of England proportions.

Tamim's century was excellent and spearheaded the Bangladeshi innings, which was oh so impressive until mid-way through the afternoon session. They treated England's bowlers with disdain, as Cook struggled to control their scoring through the use of the spinners, of which three (as expected) were fielded.

Woakes, Moeen and Stokes all brought the tourists back into the contest, though, as Bangladesh lost 5 for 31 to reach tea on 205 for 6, before struggling even more after the interval.

It was all going so well for the hosts, too, as they exposed England's subcontinental weak spot through Tamim (who recorded his third Test hundred against England) and Mominul Haque, but Moeen removed both set batsmen in the space of four overs.

Stokes' deployment of reverse swing brought the game back England's way, too, as he dismissed Mahmudullah and Sabbir Rahman, to again show why Cook was right in trusting his seamers during the first Test, knowing that his spinners would prove expensive.

Woakes had set the tone for what should have been a quietly comfortable day for England, as he picked up a wicket in his second over, but England's bowlers struggled to ramp up the pressure after that early wicket and only Stokes went at less than three runs an over. Zafar Ansari went at over 6.

After tea, Moeen had Mehedi and Kamrul - out LBW and caught by Root respectively - while Woakes cleared out Shakib. As collapses go, they don't get much more dramatic than that. Credit to England's bowlers but Bangladesh will rue a few missed chances, because there have been a few poor shots, playing away from the body, today.
:facepalm:

This is why it's so hard to be a Bangladesh supporter

Quick Reply

Latest