The Student Room Group

Architecture

I am doing German, Geography, History, and Product Design for GCSE. I have herd that i need Art in order to become an architect along with the subjects that i am already studying now; so if i am doing product design instead of art, would i still be able to become an architect??
Original post by forgottenland
I am doing German, Geography, History, and Product Design for GCSE. I have herd that i need Art in order to become an architect along with the subjects that i am already studying now; so if i am doing product design instead of art, would i still be able to become an architect??

Sure. When you get to college, be sure to take History of Art/ Art History, as architecture is one of your main points of study, and then at Uni - take Architecture.

Yes you could, however many straight architecture courses want Art or see an Art portfolio so to have a decent Art portfolio you might as well do Art. Some uni's do not require Art or to see a portfolio but you'll be cutting down your choices a lot. Also, many will want to see free hand stuff. I don't think history of art will be seen as good as doing art itself by many. Odds are at many uni's particularly second and third year you'll be able to use CAD instead of art/drawing anyway.

Hi! I just got an offer from Bath for architecture (buzzing!)
I don't do art a level but I did several things to make me stand out
1. I wrote about my work experience/engineering course in my personal statement
2. I made it clear I could convey my artistic ideas by talking about examples of my Product Design work and how my art GCSE piece won a school art prize

Bath are different because they don't need to see a portfolio so you have to prove in your ps that you creative (which you will be if you do product design)
If you want do architecture you need arts/sciences/humanities and I do maths, physics, geography and product design.
You don't HAVE to do art but if you are asked to submit a portfolio you can use your Product design work but it's a good idea to include some independent studies/art sketches etc

I hope this helped in some way and makes sense!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending