The Student Room Group

25 year old wanting to do GCSEs..advice needed

Hi,

I want to take my GCSEs (im 25) to get onto an access to nursing course. I was thinking Maths, English & Science because the course says that they're necessary.

Do you know how somebody my age goes about doing GCSEs? I was thinking the cheapest way would be to home school and sit exams somewhere. But im not sure about 1: the cost of the exams and 2: what about coursework etc? (Aren't some GCSEs modular? Would I have to go back multiple times and sit each module?)

Do I have any other options?

Has anybody over schooling age been in this position and have any tips?

Scroll to see replies

fam ur 25, and its gcses...

if you're looking for the cheapest ways you might as well book the exam and go sit for it without any revision

i predict you to get A*A*A
Original post by Bandannabel
Hi,

I want to take my GCSEs (im 25) to get onto an access to nursing course. I was thinking Maths, English & Science because the course says that they're necessary.

Do you know how somebody my age goes about doing GCSEs? I was thinking the cheapest way would be to home school and sit exams somewhere. But im not sure about 1: the cost of the exams and 2: what about coursework etc? (Aren't some GCSEs modular? Would I have to go back multiple times and sit each module?)

I am taking a gap year, retaking a couple of exams in my A-level in a private centre. I would defo recommend as many exams without course work as you can because you will save lots of money, some centres charge like 300 quid for course work. But others you can't avoid, for example, in sciences sometimes you have no choice but to do the course works. I would recommend contacting schools in your area to see their prices and their willingness to take you on.

For prices, my exams cost 60 quid a unit, taking like 5 so its like 300.

I think you could get in with Access/foundation courses but I have no knowledge on this, sorry.

The actual exams shouldn't be hard, I'd say English would be the most difficult, the rest of them you can go through work books and do many past papers and achieve easily As(most of us on TSR did this lol), as long as you work well. With English, you have to read a lot and understand what the examiner is looking for in your writing, you can see the specification for that.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you for giving me an idea of price :smile:

Do you know anything of The National Extension College? I have just been looking at them, its online and no coursework. £400 per course.

I will post this as a seperate thread too, was just trying to be a bit cheeky to see if you knew any more.

Thanks again!
Reply 4
If you don't have C or above in GCSE Maths and English, you can do them for free. Which part of the UK do you live in?
(edited 8 years ago)

Do you know anything of The National Extension College? I have just been looking at them, its online and no coursework. £400 per course.

I will post this as a seperate thread too, was just trying to be a bit cheeky to see if you knew any more.

Thanks again!

No problem. Now with online colleges and such, you have to be really careful. Many of the stuff they give, you can learn yourself with the text books which cost like 10 quid or less @ GCSE level. Also is that 400 for the exam or for the online course?

Honestly, in my humble opinion i would highly recommend you go to a local center because these online long distance courses are sometimes scams, providing nothing but exam prep you can find online yourself. At least in real life if anything goes sour you have direct contact.

I would recommend going to a college myself to do GCSEs, I know quite a few people who did, it does cost quite a bit but I hear it's worth it.

Good luck and be careful with your money.
Reply 6
Hi,

Home school and go to your local school/college and ask to sit the exams, this is the cheapest and easiest way and providing you pay there shouldn't be a problem.

iGCSE CIE English is a £100 fee, choose this one for the least amount of coursework possible (there is only a speaking and listening assessment, which should be easily arranged)

GCSE Edexcel Maths is a £31 fee, choose this one because it maximises the resources you can access as it's the most popular course

iGCSE Edexcel Double Science is an £80 fee, choose this because there is no coursework so it's much easier to homeschool
Original post by jamestg
Home school and go to your local school/college and ask to sit the exams, this is the cheapest and easiest way and providing you pay there shouldn't be a problem.

iGCSE CIE English is a £100 fee, choose this one for the least amount of coursework possible (there is only a speaking and listening assessment, which should be easily arranged)

GCSE Edexcel Maths is a £31 fee, choose this one because it maximises the resources you can access as it's the most popular course

iGCSE Edexcel Double Science is an £80 fee, choose this because there is no coursework so it's much easier to homeschool

Honestly agreed. Go to a legit school/college and do it if you can, because it will save you a lot of hassle. Many of these home made centres are run by people who really don't have much understanding of what they are doing and that could cost you your place. Check out the approved centers by AQA, OCR and so on.
I'm a mature student and did my GCSEs this year. I went to college to do them though and it cost just over £1100 to do five.
Out of English, Psychology, Double Science and Maths, only English and Science had any kind of 'coursework' (an oral exam for English and two controlled science experiments and write ups) but I imagine it would depend on the exam board.

If you don't have a C grade in Maths and English then you should be able to get access to education for that for free as the government wants everybody up to that standard (unless that has been cut like a lot of things are these days). As for home learning, I suppose you could do it but I personally wouldn't have managed that way; the quality of the teaching staff at my college was (by and large) really very good and worth every penny when it came to explaining certain things I didn't understand. If you do want to go that route though, then you just need to look into applying as a private candidate to any near-by examination centre.

P.S
I have near perfect condition science textbooks for sale. Hit me up! :colone:
Reply 9
Original post by *tango*
If you don't have C or above in GCSE Maths and English, you can do them for free. Which part of the UK do you live in?

I'm from Liverpool. No I never sat my GCSEs, I left school at 14 when my mum passed away.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
I'm a mature student and did my GCSEs this year. I went to college to do them though and it cost just over £1100 to do five.
Out of English, Psychology, Double Science and Maths, only English and Science had any kind of 'coursework' (an oral exam for English and two controlled science experiments and write ups) but I imagine it would depend on the exam board.

If you don't have a C grade in Maths and English then you should be able to get access to education for that for free as the government wants everybody up to that standard (unless that has been cut like a lot of things are these days). As for home learning, I suppose you could do it but I personally wouldn't have managed that way; the quality of the teaching staff at my college was (by and large) really very good and worth every penny when it came to explaining certain things I didn't understand. If you do want to go that route though, then you just need to look into applying as a private candidate to any near-by examination centre.

P.S
I have near perfect condition science textbooks for sale. Hit me up! :colone:

I only need to do Science, English and Maths to get onto the Access to Nursing course I want to do. So by the sounds of it could pay less than your £1100, which is already less than I was imagining so great!

Any direction you can point me in to find out about this free access? Or am I best just ringing round local colleges etc?

When I find out what exam board I'll be with, I will come to you :smile: And return this favour. Everyone has helped me so much on here already.
Original post by jamestg

Do those prices include everything? All the exams/modules? That sounds SO cheap
Do those prices include everything? All the exams/modules? That sounds SO cheap

It includes everything. But the school may charge you admin costs. That could be a couple of hundred...
I only need to do Science, English and Maths to get onto the Access to Nursing course I want to do. So by the sounds of it could pay less than your £1100, which is already less than I was imagining so great!

Any direction you can point me in to find out about this free access? Or am I best just ringing round local colleges etc?

When I find out what exam board I'll be with, I will come to you :smile: And return this favour. Everyone has helped me so much on here already.

I'm not really sure about the free access thing, tbh. I know it exists because people on my access course at the moment are having to seek it due to universities requiring Maths and English GCSEs. It's one of the benefits of going to a college to do it as they sort all that stuff out. But yeah, you're going to have to ring around and do a few web searches.

Nah, I'm only joking about the books; I'm sort of attached to them now anyway. You can pick up second hand ones dirt cheap around mid June when exams finish though.
I'm going to need them a lot sooner, I would hopefully like to be sitting by June. Although if I can get into college for free I would put it back a year and just go into college.
You may get some better answers in the Mature Students forum.

If there's a local nearby, they tend to run evening classes.
Reply 16
I'm from Liverpool. No I never sat my GCSEs, I left school at 14 when my mum passed away.

Adult Learning Centres (can be found on councils' websites) provide free GCSE Maths and English courses. But they usually start in September. They're free because they are funded.

Thanks again!

Hi - you can look through samples of our course materials for all of our GCSE and IGCSE courses to see what you think. If you've already looked through the info available on our website, you might have seen that we have opened up our £100 Fast Track option for students looking to sit their exams in the May-June 2016 session - this will give you a faster turnaround time for questions and queries to your tutor, as well as getting your assignments marked and returned in 36 hours.

If you're worried about finding somewhere to sit your exams, we have partnership centres in Doncaster, Reading, Coventry, Ashton-under-Lyne and others around the country, and there are also lists of private centres like schools and colleges up on the exam boards' websites. Exam entry fees at centres will vary, but our partnership centres will charge £155 to sit all of your exams for one subject, whether it's two English exams or three Maths ones. Please do give us a call if you have any questions for us!

-Gemma
Am 50yrs old can I still do the exam GCSE Eng / Maths.
At 50yrs can I still do the exam GCSE Eng and maths

Latest

Trending

Trending