The Student Room Group

Issue with rental guarantor

Hi folks, not sure if this is the right place for it but here goes:

Today i moved into a property. I have the keys, paid the money etc and i'm very happy with it. The landlord is an independent shopkeeper that works behind the wall that I sleep due to having his shop at the front and the agent is the son of the other landlord (they are business partners.)

Today I signed the contract with a countersign from a guarantor ONLY ON THE CONTRACT. I had assumed my guarantor (My father) would read the e-mail I sent saying that he needed to sign an additional letter and send scans of a mortgage bill, utility bill and passport as proof so I didn't pick this up, only the contract as i was in a rush.

I have promised my agent I would give him what he's missing tomorrow however my dad is failing to provide it on the basis that he thinks he's a crook and will try and steal his house or some **** based on a scan of his passport.

I have spoken to several other agents who have all said that they would require the same evidence.

I understand that this is more of a problem for the agent than a problem for me although it does undermine the integrity of the whole contract if the guarantor cannot be confirmed.

I've already messed this guy around twice because my dad left the country at a bad time and once again when my student finance was delayed so I don't want to let him down again.
Reply 1
Original post by septagon
The landlord is an independent shopkeeper that works behind the wall that I sleep due to having his shop at the front and the agent is the son of the other landlord (they are business partners.)

Does the landlord live in the same property as you? Are you a lodger or a tenant?

If you are a lodger then they need only give reasonable notice (24 hours) for you to leave.

If you are a tenant then they will find it extremely difficult to evict you. If they've messed up the guarantor paperwork before you moved in; that's their problem. They can't kick you out for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending