The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Matching offers???

Sorry if this question has already been answered- have looked but couldn't see it.

Have an offer to read Music at Johns for September 2007. Really want to reapply to Oxbridge, but am worried Durham won't give me an offer if I withdraw my application and then re-apply...have heard about people asking Durham to 'match' offers- ie agree to give them the same offer next year, should they reapply...anyone got any pearls of wisdom on this one? Is it likely they will agree to it should I ask- I mean it will be pretty blatant that I am reapplying to Oxbridge I should think.
Reply 1
Out of interest, if you don't want to take the Durham offer this year, what will have changed such that you would next year, if your application to Oxbridge is unsuccessful? Seems odd that you'd reapply to the same place if you won't consider it.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah, you can get your place deferred for a year. Of course, there's no guarantee that they will, but it does happen so there's no harm in asking :smile:
Reply 3
For what it's worth, I failed last year to get into Oxford (English), but I asked St Andrews for a deferral, because at the time, they were my solid second choice. I wrote them a polite email, explaining my gap year plans and NOT mentioning my reapplication ideas. St Andrews deferred me without any ado.

I think you should ask, because, depending on whether they check past records or not, they might get the feel that they're not your first choice if you withdraw and suddenly turn up again next year. Also, Oxbridge seems to be getting harder and harder to get into, so it's a good idea to be realistic and have back ups. Durham is a GOOD back up, too.
Reply 4
I don't think they should defer your place! It's not fair to potentially take a place from someone who actually really wants to go and will take it up, just so you can have it as a "backup" if u dont get into oxbridge. It totally degrades the credibility of the university! Either durham is good enough for you, or it isnt, most people would be delighted to have got in!
Reply 5
lucy0703
I don't think they should defer your place! It's not fair to potentially take a place from someone who actually really wants to go and will take it up, just so you can have it as a "backup" if u dont get into oxbridge. It totally degrades the credibility of the university! Either durham is good enough for you, or it isnt, most people would be delighted to have got in!

Dude. Whut.

I infer from the "probably"s in your signature that you have applied to more than two universities, correct? So, as you are only considering two of them, then by your logic the others aren't good enough for you and you are taking places from people who actually really want to go- shame on you!

Let's be realistic here. I don't think the OP is saying that Durham isn't "good enough" for them- just that they think Oxbridge might be better. I sympathise entirely- Durham is certainly good enough for me, but Oxford would be better, hence the insurance. I think that they are very wise for looking into deferral in order to prepare for the possibility of a second rejection, and it's certainly no more fair or unfair than the rest of the system.
Reply 6
Ask, they will almost certainly tell you to apply again but if you got in this year then it's pretty likely you'll get in next year.
Reply 7
It totally depends on the quality of next year's applicants. It's worth a try, but as has already been said, there's no guarantee.
Reply 8
swinglesinger
Sorry if this question has already been answered- have looked but couldn't see it.

Have an offer to read Music at Johns for September 2007. Really want to reapply to Oxbridge, but am worried Durham won't give me an offer if I withdraw my application and then re-apply...have heard about people asking Durham to 'match' offers- ie agree to give them the same offer next year, should they reapply...anyone got any pearls of wisdom on this one? Is it likely they will agree to it should I ask- I mean it will be pretty blatant that I am reapplying to Oxbridge I should think.

There's always the option of going to Durham this year having already submitted a re-application to oxbridge via UCAS as an independentstudent.

You could come to Durham, "re-sit" your Oxbridge interview in Xmas holidays, and then if you don't get in you haven't wasted a year, and if you do then you could either drop out of Durham or stay on to get ahead in your subject.

Probably best not to tell the powers that be at you Durham college this though, but as a post a-level, independent student you wouldn't have to tell anyone other than your referee who could be the same as the previous year.

You might even be able to apply for second year entry? SO you wouldn't be behind at all agewise.

Nothing on the UCAS form would prevent you doing this.

Good luck.
Although, remember that Oxbridge isn't all it's cracked up to be. The main reason i'm glad to have turned it down is the 8 week terms. What the point of spending 7 grand for a year at uni to barely get half that and end up at home for months on end.
All the best bits from Oxbridge (college rivalries, traditions and boats) are at Durham.
Reply 9
It's probably best not to tell them as they might, you know, get pissed off at the fact you owe them 4 grand in accomodation bills, let alone tuition fees.
Reply 10
Oxbridge do not look kindly on people who switch universities mid-way just to apply for an oxbridge course, they consider this bad practise and it is really quite unfair for the university involved.

Latest