The Student Room Group

ATP

" Explain how ATP functions as the energy currency of the cell"
and
" Outline the main stages of aerobic and anaerobic respiration"

Any help would be muchly appreciated! thanks x
Reply 1
1- ATP is seen as almost an 'energy carrier'- it's a more effective way of using the required energy for reactions rather than using a whole glucose molecule. Energy is needed to combine ADP and Pi to form ATP, it is a reversible reaction that can release energy as it is broken down into ADP and Pi again.

2- Aerobic Respiration:
Glycolysis- Glucose is hydrolysed into 2 molecules of a 3-carbon atom called pyruvate. This creates 2 ATP and 2 NADPH.
Link-Reaction- Pyruvate reacts with an enzyme called CoEnzymeA which hydrolyses it to AcetylCoA.
The Krebs Cycle- AceytlCoA is oxidised to Carbon Dioxide while NAD is reduced. The Krebs Cycle is a series of redox reactions.
Oxidative Phosphorylation- NADH is oxidised back to NAD. This produces free electrons, these then pass through a number of CoEnzymes down an energy gradient.

Anaerobic Respiration:
Instead of being oxidised by oxygen, NADH is oxidised by pyruvate. Which, at the same time is being reduced by NADH. This causes the formation of lactic acid.
I've only just been back on here to see this thank you so much, I have an exam on monday and this has really helped me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending