The Student Room Group

Religion & Philosophy or Economics?

Hi, I am planning to take Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics. For my fourth AS-Level subject I do not know if I should take 'Religious Studies & Philosophy' or 'Economics'. I like religious studies at GCSE, however at college open evening I was told it is all essay based but I don't mind essays that much. I also like economics but all the graphs put me off. Stuck what to choose. One other option is Psychology but I heard it is really hard. I don't really want to do all science/maths subjects anyways. The college I am applying to also said that I can put 'Economics OR Religious Studies & Philosophy' in the fourth subject box.
Original post by ibrahim11
Hi, I am planning to take Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics. For my fourth AS-Level subject I do not know if I should take 'Religious Studies & Philosophy' or 'Economics'. I like religious studies at GCSE, however at college open evening I was told it is all essay based but I don't mind essays that much. I also like economics but all the graphs put me off. Stuck what to choose. One other option is Psychology but I heard it is really hard. I don't really want to do all science/maths subjects anyways. The college I am applying to also said that I can put 'Economics OR Religious Studies & Philosophy' in the fourth subject box.

What do you want to do after A-Levels? I would instantly recommend Religious Studies: Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology is not that hard. Economics is fine also and fits well with your current courses and Philosophy offers something different which you may enjoy and the essay-writing skills are valued. Also, I just remembered, RS (Philosophy, anyway) is about logic and thought which can lend itself to those students studying mathematics.
Reply 2
Original post by ivybridge
What do you want to do after A-Levels? I would instantly recommend Religious Studies: Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology is not that hard. Economics is fine also and fits well with your current courses and Philosophy offers something different which you may enjoy and the essay-writing skills are valued. Also, I just remembered, RS (Philosophy, anyway) is about logic and thought which can lend itself to those students studying mathematics.

I'm not really sure what to do after A-Levels but my parents suggested Medicine. I also forgot to mention that I am predicted A* in GCSE for Religious Studies.
Original post by ibrahim11
I'm not really sure what to do after A-Levels but my parents suggested Medicine. I also forgot to mention that I am predicted A* in GCSE for Religious Studies.

Do not thing RS is easy at A-Level, it isn't. It's very abstract and GCSE is incomparable to A-Level and this is true of most things. If you're going for Medicine, I suggest you consider Psychology. You're taking three of the hardest A-Levels and worried that Psychology will be hard? I don't think it's worth stressing over. I'd definitely consider Psychology. It is like everything: if you work, you'll produce and that goes for any subject, hard or not - Psych' or Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending