The Student Room Group

Realistically will i get any offers?

At AS i studied History,Government and Politics,Philosophy and Ethics and Sociology and achieved the grades:AABC,but am predicted AAA for A2.I have applied to study law at The university of Manchester which requires AAA,Leeds-AAA,Southampton-AAA,Cardiff-AAB and Liverpool-ABB.I am so worried because of my AS grades(my B in philosophy was 2 marks off an A :frown: ),do you honestly think i will get any offers to study Law?i am so interested in it!
Reply 1
Hi, I got the exact same as you at AS level, and current have 4/5 offers from Lancaster for Law, Lancaster Law and Pol, Uni of Birmingham and UEA.
Two of them are AAA, and two of them are AAB, waiting on my last one.
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 2
Original post by sarahmayy98
At AS i studied History,Government and Politics,Philosophy and Ethics and Sociology and achieved the grades:AABC,but am predicted AAA for A2.I have applied to study law at The university of Manchester which requires AAA,Leeds-AAA,Southampton-AAA,Cardiff-AAB and Liverpool-ABB.I am so worried because of my AS grades(my B in philosophy was 2 marks off an A :frown: ),do you honestly think i will get any offers to study Law?i am so interested in it!

if you're predicted the grades - you'll be fine
they don't really care about your AS grades

so yes you can get offers - those are all proper competitive unis and a competitive course too!
Original post by lucy_98
Hi, I got the exact same as you at AS level, and current have 4/5 offers from Lancaster for Law, Lancaster Law and Pol, Uni of Birmingham and UEA.
Two of them are AAA, and two of them are AAB, waiting on my last one.
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Thank you so much!Well done on your offers!
Original post by z33

so yes you can get offers - those are all proper competitive unis and a competitive course too!

Thats what I'm worried about,because they are all so competitive :/.
Reply 5
Thank you so much!Well done on your offers!

Thank you! Best thing you can probably do is just make sure your personal statement is kick-ass
Reply 6
Thats what I'm worried about,because they are all so competitive :/.

hey it's okay though if you don't end up getting an offer or getting in - a gap year isn't the end of the world! and you could gain some experience with some lawyers and go to a few trials and watch from the balcony and chill from education for a bit (much needed break i bet). So don't worry about it but i'm sure you'll be fine if your PS was good. idk if law have an entrance exam but if your score for that was good too then even better. and your grades wont be a problem. basically in the end you'll get there so don't worry :biggrin:

good luck :wink:
Original post by lucy_98
Thank you! Best thing you can probably do is just make sure your personal statement is kick-ass

I tried,i included:Personal experience,Work experience,debating society,how my subjects are help me with a career in law etc.What did you mention in yours?
Reply 8
I tried,i included:Personal experience,Work experience,debating society,how my subjects are help me with a career in law etc.What did you mention in yours?

You've got loads of stuff already then :smile: I had hardly anything to write about myself, so mine was virtually an essay about my opinions of the Law and stuff like that, could've gone a lot worse though.
Original post by lucy_98
You've got loads of stuff already then :smile: I had hardly anything to write about myself, so mine was virtually an essay about my opinions of the Law and stuff like that, could've gone a lot worse though.

sounds good to me and it must have been to get those offers!Where are you from?
Original post by z33

They don't care about AS grades?

That's the stupidest thing said on TSR this year.

I go to Southampton and they let me in with lower grades than I was predicted, as they did with some of my friends. Well done with your AS grades!
Reply 12
Original post by Praveen101
They don't care about AS grades?

That's the stupidest thing said on TSR this year.

They care about your predicted grades. Your AS grades are used to predict them but other than that the universities don't really care about them. If someone got CCCC at AS then got A*A*A*a at A2 and then applied no university is gonna be like "no you got bad AS grades we won't take you".
Original post by z33
They care about your predicted grades. Your AS grades are used to predict them but other than that the universities don't really care about them. If someone got CCCC at AS then got A*A*A*a at A2 and then applied no university is gonna be like "no you got bad AS grades we won't take you".

Usually they use AS grades to judge if the predictions are fair. In that scenario, yes they can see the A*A*A*A have already been attained. But in most cases, if the predictions are >1 grade above the AS grade, then they'll start to doubt the legitimacy of the predictions (because the A2s haven't been taken yet)
Original post by z33

I'm Sorry but that's exactly how it works? That's why we do AS levels, if you have 3 Cs then those predictions theyll obviously reject you unless youre applying to a crap uni
Reply 15
Original post by Student403
Usually they use AS grades to judge if the predictions are fair. In that scenario, yes they can see the A*A*A*A have already been attained. But in most cases, if the predictions are >1 grade above the AS grade, then they'll start to doubt the legitimacy of the predictions (because the A2s haven't been taken yet)

Okay yeah I see what you're saying.
Thanks everyone :smile: i only applied the other day,how long does it normally take for conditional offers?
Original post by katieeleanor1
I go to Southampton and they let me in with lower grades than I was predicted, as they did with some of my friends. Well done with your AS grades!

I loved it there,its my third choice!Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending