The Student Room Group

Do GCSE's play a significant role when applying for top universities on ucas ?

Hi guys !
I'm Currently doing A-levels Maths Chemistry, Business and ICT and i am predicted AAAB. I am planning to apply for mechanical engineering at City, Queen Mary, Warwick and Exeter. And also hopefully applying for Chem Eng at UCL. I read one forum of UCL applicants for the chemical engineering course and i noticed that they have significantly higher GCSE results than mine as al i got was B's and C's. My question is would i get rejected if i apply for Chemical engineering at UCL and Mechanical engineering at the other universities that i mentioned.

I hope to get a quick reply
Original post by therepulsion
Hi guys !
I'm Currently doing A-levels Maths Chemistry, Business and ICT and i am predicted AAAB. I am planning to apply for mechanical engineering at City, Queen Mary, Warwick and Exeter. And also hopefully applying for Chem Eng at UCL. I read one forum of UCL applicants for the chemical engineering course and i noticed that they have significantly higher GCSE results than mine as al i got was B's and C's. My question is would i get rejected if i apply for Chemical engineering at UCL and Mechanical engineering at the other universities that i mentioned.

Depends what grades you got in Maths/Sciences and what A-Level subjects you chose. They seem to ask for at least a C in Maths and English. But bear in mind that although grades aren't everything on your application, many applicants (for Warwick in particular) will have better GCSEs.

Look at the specific entry reqs for your course
If you meet the stated GCSE entry requirements (i.e. the ones on the university's own website, not the ones you're worried might exist secretly) then it's more than worth you applying.
Reply 3
Hi guys !

Will play no part in selection process as you've met the minimum requirement. Main determining factor for engineering is predicted grades, competition for places isn't like medicine/dentistry.
Hi guys !

Due to extremely high number of applications, popular universities like Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Durham, St Andrews etc differentiate students using GCSEs but that being said if you have a good A Level profile it shouldn't matter that much if you have bad/mediocre GCSEs since those top universities know that you have tried to make an improvement unless your applying for extremely competitive courses like Mathematics at COWI or Economics at the top 5.
Original post by emiloujess
Depends what grades you got in Maths/Sciences and what A-Level subjects you chose. They seem to ask for at least a C in Maths and English. But bear in mind that although grades aren't everything on your application, many applicants (for Warwick in particular) will have better GCSEs.

Look at the specific entry reqs for your course

They want C in gcse maths and english and 5 gcse's A*-C and that's what nearly all universities require.
Original post by Killer910
Due to extremely high number of applications, popular universities like Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Durham, St Andrews etc differentiate students using GCSEs but that being said if you have a good A Level profile it shouldn't matter that much if you have bad/mediocre GCSEs since those top universities know that you have tried to make an improvement unless your applying for extremely competitive courses like Mathematics at COWI or Economics at the top 5.

Ahh that's such a shame :P Looks like warwick is a gamble for me :/
They want C in gcse maths and english and 5 gcse's A*-C and that's what nearly all universities require.

So you'll get at least one offer. Be aware of Warwick though, like another user said. :frown:

Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
So you'll get at least one offer. Be aware of Warwick though, like another user said. :frown:

Good Luck! :smile:

Warwick is the university i'm aspiring to apply to but i really hope i get accepted due to my a-level grades.
Reply 9
i thought you need physics to do chemical engineering? But just check your schools average grades and compare them to your uni's standard entry requirements. If you apply and you school is bad or if you're doing an epq, they may make the entry requirements a bit lower.
Ahh that's such a shame :P Looks like warwick is a gamble for me :/

I am a 1st year Warwick Student studying Economics and i can only speak for economics and mathematics (since lot of our lectures are in the maths department) that most guys here do have a very high number of A*s and i would be considered below average here and i got 6A*s but as i said economics and maths are warwicks flagship courses hence there is a extremely high demand for places hence warwick start using GCSEs to differentiate just like other top universities for economics such as LSE/Oxbridge but that being said i am pretty sure that for mechanical engineering the GCSE requirements would be relaxed and your A level grades seem good so i wouldn't worry that much.
It depends on too many things to give a snap, general, answer.
Hi guys !

I doubt if you will get rejected provided your AS levels are good. Additionally Exeter make offers based on the school you attended for your a levels. If your school is in the bottom 40% they make the lower offer. If not you will be made the higher.
Original post by swanseajack1
I doubt if you will get rejected provided your AS levels are good. Additionally Exeter make offers based on the school you attended for your a levels. If your school is in the bottom 40% they make the lower offer. If not you will be made the higher.

That's great! My schools under special measures at the moment. Does that count?
That's great! My schools under special measures at the moment. Does that count?
it goes on the bottom 40% of a level results. You could ring Exeter they will tell you
Does anyone know to what extent Birmingham take GCSEs into account? I know they've said it's 'very important' but I'm not sure how much it will affect my chances of receiving an offer.

I'm predicted A*AA in English Language, English Literature and Geography (in that order). However, I got 6 B's at GCSE and only 2 A's and 2 A*s so I'm a bit concerned due to the B's that I won't be offered a place.

(I'm applying for Geography and Urban and Regional Planning, entry requirement is ABB)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending