The Student Room Group

Would these grades be good enough for oxbridge? Be honest

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Assuming this is for NatSci as per your later posts I'll just reinforce what some are saying: GCSEs are not very significant for Cambridge.

Do well in your A-level years and you'll get an interview. The "problem" is for most of your A-levels you won't have UMS at AS (unless your school is unusual) to demonstrate your improvement since GCSE. And we don't yet know Cambridge's official process for 2017 applicants so we'll just have to wait and see. I *think* they will use more tests at interview.

So, main thing is to do well in 6th form, oh and to have the right A-levels for your intended course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might try resitting a coursework for the subject i a c in to push it up to a b/a and see if i can do that. I got the B's in art, welsh and the c in spanish.
Reply 41
Original post by vividviolets
I might try resitting a coursework for the subject i a c in to push it up to a b/a and see if i can do that. I got the B's in art, welsh and the c in spanish.

Was the C in a science or Maths or English? If not don't bother, just focus on your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had the A*'s in biology, maths and history. The A's in english, chemistry, geology, r.e ,english literature, physics and B's in welsh and art and a c in spanish.
Original post by Sparster
100% honesty? No. Maybe if you got 100/100 ums in every single paper at AS level, possibly. Otherwise, no. You asked for honesty and you are getting it; probably need to give up on Oxbridge. Doesn't mean that you can't go for other Russel Group unis though.

Ignore this person. If you go on oxford and cambridge TSR forums of the people who have applied, there is a section where people post their GCSE grades and alot of them are similar to yours.
I also went to Cambridge as part of a talk thing, and the person who was giving us a tour and providing us with information and a taster lecture told us this:
-They look at your A Level grades.
-Your GCSE grades are only really looked at if you're applying for medical courses.
-GCSE grades like yours are fine.
Original post by Pandorax
Ignore this person. If you go on oxford and cambridge TSR forums of the people who have applied, there is a section where people post their GCSE grades and alot of them are similar to yours.
I also went to Cambridge as part of a talk thing, and the person who was giving us a tour and providing us with information and a taster lecture told us this:
-They look at your A Level grades.
-Your GCSE grades are only really looked at if you're applying for medical courses.
-GCSE grades like yours are fine.

Thank you for your advice. Because i have looked around and it does not say explicitly what their gcse entry grades are and i don't want to try or ask a teacher advice now about trying when i would look like a fool for thinking i could possibly go there.
Original post by Sparster
I am sorry but I am realistic. A few Bs and Cs is not what Oxbridge want to see.

I got more Bs and Cs than As and A*s and still managed to graduate from Cambridge last year.

They're not completely irrelevant, and obviously OP won't have AS UMS to depend on as I did, but realistically her GCSE grades in Welsh, art, and Spanish are not going to be forefront in tutors' minds when they are considering her application.

Talking endlessly about 'chances' in this context is stupid. If you demonstrate that, overall, you're a good candidate, you have a 100% chance of an offer. A few low GCSE grades in irrelevant subjects are not going to stand in the way of your doing that.
Thank you for your advice. Because i have looked around and it does not say explicitly what their gcse entry grades are and i don't want to try or ask a teacher advice now about trying when i would look like a fool for thinking i could possibly go there.

Trust me, your GCSE grades are fine, just focus on your A levels and reach the actual grade requirements for A level needed
Reply 47
I had the A*'s in biology, maths and history. The A's in english, chemistry, geology, r.e ,english literature, physics and B's in welsh and art and a c in spanish.

Therefore there's no point retaking anything. Concentrate on your A-levels and you'll be a competitive candidate. Ignore anyone who says you need 100%. It's *******s. In fact some with 100% get rejections.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending