The Student Room Group

What is the ideal age to get married?

For me, personally i'd like to get married in my early twenties. Purely because my biological clock is ticking and it's the only way i'm guaranteed sex (religious reasons). But there's also the risk of falling for the wrong person and everything turning out horribly.

What do you think is the ideal age to get married? When do you plan on getting married?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think early marriage driven by religious prohibition of sex beforehand is a pretty bad idea and probably fuels the divorce rate. For me 25-30 is the right age + after you have known your partner for at least 5 years and cohabited for some of this time. Just my view. I do believe in marriage as good for relationships and a good base for parenting.
It's quite sad that you feel that should get married early just to have sex. But anyway, you get married when you feel comfortable really, whether that would be 23, 24, 25... But for me, I think the best age to get married is 25-30.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
I think early marriage driven by religious prohibition of sex beforehand is a pretty bad idea and probably fuels the divorce rate. For me 25-30 is the right age + after you have known your partner for at least 5 years and cohabited for some of this time. Just my view. I do believe in marriage as good for relationships and a good base for parenting.

I want to finish having kids by the time i reach thirty. In my culture if a woman reaches a certain age she is "outdated" or "expired".So less men to choose from as they'll prefer someone younger. Better to snag someone good while you're young and fertile. Such is the reality. Obviously i won't be jumping into marriage and will carefully choose a spouse, compatibility, personality, the chemistry, financial security, etc, are all things i'll take into consideration to make a good choice. And also if it prevents me from having sex before marriage, which will reserve my religion i'm all up for it. Cohabitation is nasty sorry to say. And having a bastard child on my hands is a no no. that's just what i think anyway
Original post by loveleest
It's quite sad that you feel that should get married early just to have sex. But anyway, you get married when you feel comfortable really, whether that would be 23, 24, 25... But for me, I think the best age to get married is that 25-30.

Yeah, I agree. A person should get married when he is ready, has good confidence, communication skills, a job, independence, etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Whenever I'm financially capable to provide for my own family really, but around 24-25 would be ideal age.
Reply 6
[QUOTE=Anonymous;60626843]I want to finish having kids by the time i reach thirty. In my culture if a woman reaches a certain age she is "outdated" or "expired".So less men to choose from as they'll prefer someone younger. Better to snag someone good while you're young and fertile. Such is the reality. Obviously i won't be jumping into marriage and will carefully choose a spouse, compatibility, personality, the chemistry, financial security, etc, are all things i'll take into consideration to make a good choice. And also if it prevents me from having sex before marriage, which will reserve my religion i'm all up for it. Cohabitation is nasty sorry to say. And having a bastard child on my hands is a no no. that's just what i think anyway
Fine if it works for you. Not so sure about the outdated bastard child language, mind
Reply 7
Original post by loveleest
It's quite sad that you feel that should get married early just to have sex. But anyway, you get married when you feel comfortable really, whether that would be 23, 24, 25... But for me, I think the best age to get married is that 25-30.

Read my post below
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
Fine if it works for you. Not so sure about the outdated bastard child language, mind

To each his own, mind
20-29, personally hopefully around 25 :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
20-29, personally hopefully around 25 :smile:

How old are you now? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
How old are you now? :smile:

20 :smile:
When I've had a chance at doing all the things that I want to do. I know I can still do this when married but I want to have kids too and they kind of ruin plans. That being said, I wouldn't be disgusted by having a child outside of marriage, depending on the relationship and where it was going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
24 :smile:
Definately want to wait till uni has finished. Plus a year or 2 for a masters... then a few more years of working and dating. Then another year engaged to make sure. That probably comes to 26
Never :s-smilie:
Original post by Naveed-7
Yeah, I agree. A person should get married when he is ready, has good confidence, communication skills, a job, independence, etc.
About 24+

Early twenties would be nearing the end of my uni studies. Right after i graduate. And i'll have my own financial independence as i will be doing a vocational course at uni and will be looking for a job, not just sitting at home and i'll rely on myself. And what makes you think i don't already have good self confidence and excellent communication skills?
Original post by Anonymous
Early twenties would be nearing the end of my uni studies. Right after i graduate. And i'll have my own financial independence as i will be doing a vocational course at uni and will be looking for a job, not just sitting at home and i'll rely on myself. And what makes you think i don't already have good self confidence and excellent communication skills?

I don't.
Original post by Naveed-7
I don't.

Fair enough
25-30, probably closer to 30 though. Too much to experience in your 20s. Just my opinion - everyone is different.

Quick Reply

Latest