The Student Room Group

PGCE interview

Hi guys, I've got a primary PGCE interview next Friday at the University of Manchester and my nerves are completely shot. Can anyone give me a little information on what it may be like? I know I have a little 5 min presentation to do on experiences as a pupil etc but is there anything else I should be completely prepared for? Also I'm unsure about what to wear, I was thinking about a long, below knee, green, knitted dress dress and jacket type thing as I'm really not confident in the blouse and skirt combo because of my body shape. For some reason it won't let me upload the photo. I wore this for an interview for a teaching placement and it seemed to look grand but I'm just a little worried. Thanks everyone!!
I've had my interviews for my PGCE now and all of them had a group of people debating teaching methods, talking about the new curriculum and then a literacy test.

I then had to do a presentation and they asked me questions on it. Then I had to do a subject knowledge test.

In the interviews the girls were wearing skirts (not short) with a blouse type thing.

You sound like yours will be very smart..

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Lambert87
I've had my interviews for my PGCE now and all of them had a group of people debating teaching methods, talking about the new curriculum and then a literacy test.

I then had to do a presentation and they asked me questions on it. Then I had to do a subject knowledge test.

In the interviews the girls were wearing skirts (not short) with a blouse type thing.

You sound like yours will be very smart..

Good luck

Thank you! Incredibly nervous as I've only had a week to prepare. Good luck as well hope you hear back soon!!
Original post by Lauren_2734
Thank you! Incredibly nervous as I've only had a week to prepare. Good luck as well hope you hear back soon!!

I got offered all the interviews I went too :smile:

Don't be nervous... and if they ask you how you are say "fine thanks, excited to be here" rather than "nervous"
Reply 4
Original post by Lambert87
I got offered all the interviews I went too :smile:

Don't be nervous... and if they ask you how you are say "fine thanks, excited to be here" rather than "nervous"

Thats amazing, Congratulations!! Thank you so much for your help, I really want this I'm just worried my nerves will get the better of me
PM me with your email and you can have my help document I got sent.
I wore a trouser suit to my interview - it's better to look too smart, than not smart enough. Make the other candidates question their outfit, but most importantly - feel confident.

I had a 15 min teaching episode, a subject audit, practice numeracy and literacy test and the interview and was offered a full place the same day.

They're expecting you to be nervous and take that into consideration (it's a life-changing step into your career, they realise this).
The worst part will be your presentation, take a deep breath, practice it a few times with family/friends/partner and when you get in there it'll all come out. If you mess up, just correct yourself and carry on.

As for the interview, you should already know why you want to teach primary. I was asked what qualities teachers had, my proudest moment in life, what I do outside of school, evidence of working in a team and something in my subject that inspires me, but they may ask you about things that are happening in education atm (attainment levels are changing etc), or for your experience.

Chill, you got this.
Reply 7
Original post by Findlay6
I wore a trouser suit to my interview - it's better to look too smart, than not smart enough. Make the other candidates question their outfit, but most importantly - feel confident.

I had a 15 min teaching episode, a subject audit, practice numeracy and literacy test and the interview and was offered a full place the same day.

They're expecting you to be nervous and take that into consideration (it's a life-changing step into your career, they realise this).
The worst part will be your presentation, take a deep breath, practice it a few times with family/friends/partner and when you get in there it'll all come out. If you mess up, just correct yourself and carry on.

As for the interview, you should already know why you want to teach primary. I was asked what qualities teachers had, my proudest moment in life, what I do outside of school, evidence of working in a team and something in my subject that inspires me, but they may ask you about things that are happening in education atm (attainment levels are changing etc), or for your experience.

Chill, you got this.

Thank you so much! Feel a bit better now knowing what to expect. What university was that? Congratulations x
Original post by Lauren_2734
Thank you so much! Feel a bit better now knowing what to expect. What university was that? Congratulations x

Mine is for a SCITT, (I already have a MA and cba to back to uni again) but the PGCE is accredited by Hertfordshire. I'm doing Secondary Psychology.
Reply 9
Original post by Findlay6
Mine is for a SCITT, (I already have a MA and cba to back to uni again) but the PGCE is accredited by Hertfordshire. I'm doing Secondary Psychology.

That's great! Congratulations again!!!

Quick Reply