The Student Room Group

Chi-Square

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone could help me with this.

In order to calculate chi-square, you have to calculate the expected value - so I would have thought that the expected value would match up to the hypothesis. However, in a calculation I have done my expected value is different to the hypothesis. It mathematically seems correct as I have checked my calculation but theoretically seems incorrect? :confused:

Is it just that I'm interpreting it wrong? Is the expected value just some sort of statistically expected value and not related to what you're actually predicting?

It's a bit complicated to explain, but I hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Natalie
Original post by NatalieMLW
Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone could help me with this.

In order to calculate chi-square, you have to calculate the expected value - so I would have thought that the expected value would match up to the hypothesis. However, in a calculation I have done my expected value is different to the hypothesis. It mathematically seems correct as I have checked my calculation but theoretically seems incorrect? :confused:

Is it just that I'm interpreting it wrong? Is the expected value just some sort of statistically expected value and not related to what you're actually predicting?

It's a bit complicated to explain, but I hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Natalie

The expected values are those predicted by the null hypothesis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending