The Student Room Group

Any Access to Science students applying to Optometry 2016?

I've just sent off my UCAS application today, I'm doing an access course in science this year. I don't have A levels, this course is aimed at people who don't have A levels but still want to go to uni. I've got over a year of full time experience working in an opticians and I have once a week sessions with a DO to help me with my dispensing..
Anyone else in a similar situation? What chance do you think I have?
I applied to City, Herts, Bradford and Cardiff.
Hey!! ME! :smile: I am currently doing an Access course in science, as like you I didn't get any A-Levels... I have over 3.5 years experience working in an opticians, have all my training, dispensing, contact lenses ect and also now going to do voluntary work in eye hospital...

Im applying for Plymouth, as i live 45 mins away... I didn't realise Cardiff accepted HE courses?? I will have to ring them as I would love to go to Cardiff! I found a lot of them said Not Accepted so maybe its best if I phone them direct?

I haven't got any advice on what our chances are, just wanted to say im in the same boat :smile:.. Hopefully our experience will work in our favour! im actually trying to write my personal statement as we speak haha!! finding it so difficult...:frown:
Reply 2
Original post by NatalieDunn89
Hey!! ME! :smile: I am currently doing an Access course in science, as like you I didn't get any A-Levels... I have over 3.5 years experience working in an opticians, have all my training, dispensing, contact lenses ect and also now going to do voluntary work in eye hospital...

Im applying for Plymouth, as i live 45 mins away... I didn't realise Cardiff accepted HE courses?? I will have to ring them as I would love to go to Cardiff! I found a lot of them said Not Accepted so maybe its best if I phone them direct?

I haven't got any advice on what our chances are, just wanted to say im in the same boat :smile:.. Hopefully our experience will work in our favour! im actually trying to write my personal statement as we speak haha!! finding it so difficult...:frown:

Oh wow! Nearly exactly the same as me! Yeah Cardiff do, as far as I know only Aston and Anglia don't accept the course everyone else says they do but they want like 30 dist and 15 merit, which is quite hard to get tbh, but I hope I get there with a lot of hard work... I've sent my application off, just waiting on my college to add their reference and hear back from ucas. Eeeeekkkkk
oh yay!! i shall be applying for Cardiff also then :smile:.. did you ring them to see if they accepted the Access course?
Yeah i know the entry requirements are quite a lot of distinctions. Touch wood so far i have got that!! how you finding all the assignments? we have so many its so hard to keep track lol..
Ahhhh thats exciting cannot wait to get mine sent off!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NatalieDunn89
oh yay!! i shall be applying for Cardiff also then :smile:.. did you ring them to see if they accepted the Access course?
Yeah i know the entry requirements are quite a lot of distinctions. Touch wood so far i have got that!! how you finding all the assignments? we have so many its so hard to keep track lol..
Ahhhh thats exciting cannot wait to get mine sent off!! :smile:

Original post by Alishafiaz
Oh wow! Nearly exactly the same as me! Yeah Cardiff do, as far as I know only Aston and Anglia don't accept the course everyone else says they do but they want like 30 dist and 15 merit, which is quite hard to get tbh, but I hope I get there with a lot of hard work... I've sent my application off, just waiting on my college to add their reference and hear back from ucas. Eeeeekkkkk

Cardiff do not accept Access for entry to Optometry, unless they have changed their mind for this year and haven't updated both their website and their entry requirements on UCAS.

I'm also an Access student and was considering applying to Optometry, but applied to Pharmacy in the end up. Good luck :smile:

Also @ NatalieDunn89, you should consider Bradford's Optometry conversion program (1 year long) for registered opticians since you seem to have a lot of experience.

http://www.bradford.ac.uk/life-sciences/optometry-and-vision-science/courses/career-progression-programme/
Reply 5
It's doesn't say anywhere on Cardiff website that they don't accept access students, they say that they consider all other qualifications in an individual basis on application.
Man I really hope you're wrong because I've sent it off now....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Alishafiaz
It's doesn't say anywhere on Cardiff website that they don't accept access students, they say that they consider all other qualifications in an individual basis on application.
Man I really hope you're wrong because I've sent it off now....

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you search Optometry on UCAS and find the course course at Cardiff, and click entry requirements, you'll find that you can click 'Access to HE' and it will say 'This is not acceptable for entry' or 'Not acceptable.' It's the same for the likes of Pharmacy at Cardiff - they don't believe that Access covers enough Physics in depth for Optometry, and Chemistry in depth for Pharmacy.

Honestly, it was a bit silly of you to apply without at least sending an email to admissions to confirm that they accept your qualifications before sending off your application.... /:
Reply 7
It's fine, it was my least preferred one anyway.. But I really should have emailed.. Cardiff was an afterthought..
Reply 8
Do you guys have Instagram? :smile:
Reply 9
Hey Alisha, I'm currently doing a science access course, finding it quite difficult to be honest. When is the deadline for all ucas applications? Do you have Instagram by any chance? It'll be easier to talk on there :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Sanah1
Hey Alisha, I'm currently doing a science access course, finding it quite difficult to be honest. When is the deadline for all ucas applications? Do you have Instagram by any chance? It'll be easier to talk on there :smile:

Hi have you heard back at all from anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest