The Student Room Group

Anyone who got into adult nursing without work/volunteer experience??

What was your experience??
What were/are your target grades?

I'm really nervous about applying with no experience. My target grades are BBB. Should I defer my application and put that I'm deferring to get volunteer experience beforehand?
Original post by Pine3278

I'm really nervous about applying with no experience. My target grades are BBB. Should I defer my application and put that I'm deferring to get volunteer experience beforehand?

I would say it's risky applying with no experience at all so taking a gap year (as not all universities allow deferrals could be a better option). You could always give applying this year a go just for the experience of doing so I suppose
Reply 2

I start Adult nursing next year I was actually accepted to 3 universities. I have no experience what so ever and have no work experience in the health or care sector just retail and hospitality. I did an Access to social work 3 years ago and got mostly distinctions. x

I've just been accepted into adult nursing next year and don't have much direct experience - I've done a few weeks in care homes/hospitals whilst at college but that's all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jesslouisexo
I've just been accepted into adult nursing next year and don't have much direct experience - I've done a few weeks in care homes/hospitals whilst at college but that's all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jesslouisexo, where will you be studying? How did you interview selection day go?
Original post by xjustmex
Jesslouisexo, where will you be studying? How did you interview selection day go?

Hertfordshire, yourself? It wasn't to bad, I wasn't very confident when I came out but it obviously went better than I thought! What about yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jesslouisexo
Hertfordshire, yourself? It wasn't to bad, I wasn't very confident when I came out but it obviously went better than I thought! What about yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to ARU I was terrified about the test bit but it went really well even though i though i did terribly lol.
I was also worried about the interview because of my lack of experience. But getting through 3 out of 4 interviews I realised that they just want to get to know you.

I dont actually think ive been this excited about anything before roll on 2016!!
I'm going to ARU I was terrified about the test bit but it went really well even though i though i did terribly lol.
I was also worried about the interview because of my lack of experience. But getting through 3 out of 4 interviews I realised that they just want to get to know you.

I dont actually think ive been this excited about anything before roll on 2016!!

Aww! Yes me too! I had to pass the maths test to go on to interview and I was terrified I wasn't going to pass🙈

Me too! Bring it on! Good luck with the course and everything X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Oh wow really? And here I was thinking I was doomed and I should just hold off sending my application until next year 😆.
Thanks and congrats for getting an offer :smile:
I have been accepted to do Mental Health Nursing without healthcare experience (and 2 alevels and 2 AS levels). Only experience I had was working in a primary school, offices and being a young carer earlier in my life. If you are able to say what transferable skills you have gained from any past experience that would help you I think that looks good.

For interviews I would say just know your stuff and show your passion. At my interview it felt more like a discussion about topics that I was passionate about, not an interrogation and judgement about a lack of experience on wards. Just show you know what you are getting yourself in for and that you are mature. :smile:
When I applied 7 years ago I had no experience whatsoever. I applied through clearing as I'd dropped out of a different course that Easter. Wasn't a problem, as I could still reflect well on the qualities of a nurse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending