The Student Room Group

Sociology applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AnnieHelena
You might be able to!

I think they said you can swap from applied to quantitative and vice versa so maybe it's the same for straight sociology :smile:

I emailed Sheffield yesterday asking if it was possible! So hopefully they'll get back to me soon with good news!

If it is possible to change it, it could very possibly be my firm choice :smile:
I have three offers for Sociology
Worcestershire University- Conditional
Sheffield Hallam University-Conditional
Wolverhampton University- Unconditional
Still waiting to here from Bangor and wrexham University. Bangor will hopefully be my firm choice and Sheffield Hallam University will be my insurance
Original post by gcsestudent123
My firm will be either Bristol or Exeter (probably Bristol) and Sheffield will deff be my insurance :smile: good luck with your application!

My friend goes to Bristol and she loves it :3

Aw thank you! Good luck too :biggrin:

Original post by cazzem
I emailed Sheffield yesterday asking if it was possible! So hopefully they'll get back to me soon with good news!

If it is possible to change it, it could very possibly be my firm choice :smile:

If I get an offer, it could also possibly be my firm as well ^.^

Original post by Hannahmorris1997
I have three offers for Sociology
Worcestershire University- Conditional
Sheffield Hallam University-Conditional
Wolverhampton University- Unconditional
Still waiting to here from Bangor and wrexham University. Bangor will hopefully be my firm choice and Sheffield Hallam University will be my insurance

Congrats! I'm also applying for Sheff Hallam :smile: How long did it take for you to get an offer?
I'll be applying only to Sheffield.
1. University of Sheffield - Social Policy and Sociology (BBB)
2. University of Sheffield - Social Policy and Criminology (ABB)
3. University of Sheffield - English language and Sociology (ABB)
4. Hallam - Criminology and Sociology
5. Hallam - Sociology

Anyone? :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by arashixo
5. Hallam - Sociology

I got accepted to Sheffield to study sociology! Not sure if it'll be my firm though.

May I ask why you only applied to Sheffield? Any particular reason?
Original post by cazzem
I got accepted to Sheffield to study sociology! Not sure if it'll be my firm though.

May I ask why you only applied to Sheffield? Any particular reason?

I love this city, I've stayed there for almost 2 months. Moreover, my boyfriend lives there and I have some friends in Sheffield. So yeah, that's why. :smile:
Reply 66
I love this city, I've stayed there for almost 2 months. Moreover, my boyfriend lives there and I have some friends in Sheffield. So yeah, that's why. :smile:

Oh I see!

Well good luck with your application :smile:
My friend goes to Bristol and she loves it :3

Aw thank you! Good luck too :biggrin:

If I get an offer, it could also possibly be my firm as well ^.^

Congrats! I'm also applying for Sheff Hallam :smile: How long did it take for you to get an offer?

Does your friend that goes to Bristol study Sociology too? If so do you know whether she is enjoying the course?
5. Hallam - Sociology

3 of my courses are in the city of Sheffield! 2 at Uni of and one at Hallam :') Sheffs is such a cool place ;D

Original post by gcsestudent123
Does your friend that goes to Bristol study Sociology too? If so do you know whether she is enjoying the course?

No, she doesn't. She studies religious studies or something to do with religion :P She loves it though :smile:
Courses I'm applying for:

University of Sheffield - Applied Social Sciences
University of Sheffield - Sociology
Newcastle University - Sociology
University of Essex - Sociology with human rights
Sheffield Hallam University - Applied Social science

:smile:

Hello!

Congratulations for choices!
Get ready to gain some really good experiences and unforgettable memories if you make it to the Essex university. I am a current student at the university and if you need anything to know about the uni just ask me!

^Andriana
Reply 70
I got accepted to study Mphil sociology in Aberdeen, Durham , Birmingham and westminster for September 2016 entry. I am wondering which one I should choose (ranking, accommodation, cost of life...) I would appreciate your help in guiding me
Has anyone heard back from Bath yet? Still waiting for Birmingham and Surrey too!
Hi,

I'm Rob, a second year Civil Engineer.

Sorry for the delay you are having - I can remember the agonising wait from when I was in your position! This however does not mean you should expect a rejection.

We will make decisions as quickly as possible, however it may take some time for decisions to be made, but this will be by the end of March. As you can see on our website, all applications received before the January 15th UCAS
deadline are given equal consideration, so do not worry if you haven't received a decision yet.

In the meantime please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Rob

Original post by rosieholdway
Has anyone heard back from Bath yet? Still waiting for Birmingham and Surrey too!
Reply 73
Original post by Sunsol86
I got accepted to study Mphil sociology in Aberdeen, Durham , Birmingham and westminster for September 2016 entry. I am wondering which one I should choose (ranking, accommodation, cost of life...) I would appreciate your help in guiding me

I look at the course and the modules available at each university and determine which one you find the most appealing. It's probably also important to take into consideration the location for each university, being that some of them are rather rural and others in big cities.

Personally I would go with either Birmingham or Durham, but that's just me!

Good luck making your decision :smile:
Original post by rosieholdway

Bath gave me an offer on the 2nd of December after receiving it on the 9th of November so took about a 3 weeks to hear back.
Reply 75
I'm still waiting for a reply from Exeter, it's been almost a month now. It's pretty annoying, cause I got all my other offers within 10 days of sending off my application.

Damn it Exeter :frown:
Original post by jamiegeorge
Bath gave me an offer on the 2nd of December after receiving it on the 9th of November so took about a 3 weeks to hear back.

Ah okay, thanks!
The form hasn't been sent off yet (soon, hopefully!), but I'll be applying to:

University of Cambridge, "Human, Social and Political Sciences"*
University of Warwick, "Politics and Sociology"
University of Manchester, "Politics and Sociology"
University of Edinburgh, "Sociology and Politics"
University of Sheffield, "Politics and Sociology"

At the moment, my favourite is Warwick with Manchester as insurance. If I get offers from those two, I'll be made up. I had an open space and couldn't find another university I'd want to go to so figured I'd put Cambridge down for the hell of it - I'm not expecting much from it, but eh, worth a shot.

*I'll be twenty one upon entry and I'm applying for Lucy, so my application doesn't have to be in until March.
Reply 78
So far, I've received conditional offers on 3/5 of my places:
Sheffield, Liverpool and Huddersfield.

Still awaiting replies from Manchester and Manchester Met.

Currently, my favourite is Sheffield and I hope to use Man Met as my insurance.
Reply 79
Original post by EmSuds
So far, I've received conditional offers on 3/5 of my places:
Sheffield, Liverpool and Huddersfield.

Still awaiting replies from Manchester and Manchester Met.

Currently, my favourite is Sheffield and I hope to use Man Met as my insurance.

Why Sheffield?

I have an offer from Sheffield as well, and I'm contemplating firming it too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending