The Student Room Group

Sociology applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by cazzem
Why Sheffield?

I have an offer from Sheffield as well, and I'm contemplating firming it too.

Alongside my interest in the modules I've been told of, there are many things which the university has to offer, which I like the sound of.
I'm interested in learning another language, and Sheffield has a Languages For All program, where you can learn one for free.
I'm also interested in studying abroad and in Sheffield, you can study abroad without adding an extra year to your 3 years of university.

Other than these aspects, their student union is amazing! Plus, I'm hoping to join a load of different unions myself.
Has anyone else firmed anywhere yet or going to any applicant days coming up? Still can't decide at all where I want to go!
Reply 82
Original post by rosieholdway
Has anyone else firmed anywhere yet or going to any applicant days coming up? Still can't decide at all where I want to go!

Yeah I'm not sure either, I'm also still waiting for Exeter (been almost 3 months wait).

But as of right now, I'm rather inclined to either Nottingham or Sheffield. What about you?
Got offers from Leeds, Southampton, Bath and Durham and also applied for Surrey and haven't heard back yet.

Should I do a BA or a Bsc?
Reply 84
Original post by Charlotte_Simm
Got offers from Leeds, Southampton, Bath and Durham and also applied for Surrey and haven't heard back yet.

Congrats on your offers!

Well the typical consensus seems to be that the Bsc program is more mathematical, which would in sociology's case probably mean that there's more qualitative and quantitative research involved. So I guess it depends on how much you like math and how good you are at it?
I seriously doubt any future employer would differentiate.
Reply 85
Original post by Charlotte_Simm

As far as i'm aware BSc degrees have slightly more focus on the research side of sociology, looking at quantitative data and are generally more scientific and mathematical, so if you want a course that focuses on these aspects a BSc may be better suited to you :smile: There's also the fact that some people have proposed that employers sometimes prefer a BSc degree, but there's very little I've found to back this up so I wouldn't choose BSc for this reason alone. I think it comes down to personal preference and if I were you I'd go for a course with modules you are really interested in rather than focusing on whether it's a BA or BSc, as at the end of the day, you'll still study scientific modules in a BA degree. Congrats on your offers and I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by cazzem
Yeah I'm not sure either, I'm also still waiting for Exeter (been almost 3 months wait).

But as of right now, I'm rather inclined to either Nottingham or Sheffield. What about you?

I've got all my offers (Surrey, Warwick, Birmingham (unconditional) and Exeter) but still waiting for Bath. I've visited all of them, but can't decide at all, they all have their positives and negatives about them!
Original post by cazzem
Congrats on your offers!

Well the typical consensus seems to be that the Bsc program is more mathematical, which would in sociology's case probably mean that there's more qualitative and quantitative research involved. So I guess it depends on how much you like math and how good you are at it?
I seriously doubt any future employer would differentiate.

Thanks :-) Still not totally sure about the route I want to take with that so I suppose I can decide based on the universities overall a little more, thanks again

I'm going to the Exeter applicant day in Feb, as this is where I've firmed- don't know if anyone is planning on going?!
Original post by jenniferalice
I'm going to the Exeter applicant day in Feb, as this is where I've firmed- don't know if anyone is planning on going?!

Hopefully booking mine tonight, but they only offered me dates in March!
Hey guys, I have applied for Sociology at both Bristol and Leeds and am having a really hard time deciding what to put as my firm. Both courses are very similar so it's really just the city and experience I'm basing it on now. Any advice would really be appreciated :smile:
Reply 91
Hey guys! I'm an international student. :smile:
These are my options -
Lse - sociology
Durham - sociology
Warwick - sociology
Edinburgh - sociology and politics
Bath - sociology with placement
So far, I've received offers from Warwick and Durham still waiting for offers from the rest!
Original post by jenniferalice

Hey, did you end up going to the applicant day? :smile: I'm going to one tomorrow for sociology and I have ocd and am quite anxious as unfortunately I can't find an breakdown of whats covered despite the itinerary :/ did you go to the mock seminar or the presentation?
Hey guys!! Just wondering if any of you have firmed your unis yet??
Hey guys!! Just wondering if any of you have firmed your unis yet??

Hiii, I've firmed uni of Nottingham 🎉 have you firmed yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ashh1234
Hiii, I've firmed uni of Nottingham 🎉 have you firmed yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah how exciting!! No sadly! I'm still undecided between Warwick and Exeter!
Hey just came across this thread, I'm applying to do Sociology as well - University of Sussex is my firm (which I need BBB) and University of Brighton is my insurance (which I need BBC). Has anyone else applied at Sussex?
Can anyone tell me what sort of stuff you learn at pure sociology uni level?
Original post by olivia.pope
Can anyone tell me what sort of stuff you learn at pure sociology uni level?

It depends what uni you're looking at going to, most uni's have their course descriptions on their websites!
Original post by chlostannard
It depends what uni you're looking at going to, most uni's have their course descriptions on their websites!

Thankyou! I'm just doing my AS' now and I couldn't love sociology more. I'm really interested in the Education and Social Policy aspect side of things, is pure sociology good for me or social policy? Criminology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending