The Student Room Group

Quit PGCE?

Hello,

I am new to tsr, looking for some advice regarding my pgce placement.

I have been on placement 1 in Reception since 8th October.

Quick summary:

*Placement school unaware of my arrival

*School unaware of student teaching requirements (i have shared all information from university with CT, attepaended PPA and Phase Meetings to push this also)

*I do not have a mentor (my CT will recieve training at the end of placement 1)

*Im now meant to be on a 50% teaching timetable - I have taught the whole class once since starting (because the teacher had the morning off) - I had a TA in the room

*Prior to this I've been told to supervise child initaited activites.

*I have had many meetings to raise my concerns to student union, tutors, link tutors and course director. No support has been put in place other than my CT will eventually recieve mentor training. - I'm told I'm lucky to be in a school....

I've been incredibly disenchanted with the idea of teaching or persuing this course, because of this placement. I'm considering withdrawing and looking at School's Direct options. (School I have previously worked at have offered me a salaired training route, in light of these circumstances - i'll have to wait one year)

Main Questions:

*Is it normal on a PGCE to be placed in a school without a mentor?
*Should my complaints not lead to further investigation of the support being provided in school?
*How can the school be a 'partnership' school. They tell me they themsleves are not being supported.
*How can i be expected to teach a 70% timetable in Placement 2 when I'm not being given inputs to teach in PP1 - unless the teacher uses me as supply!
*I'm not recieving observations or feedback on any group work, teaching I do
*Cut my loses and go for the Schools direct or continue?

*I have a student loan and recieve a bursary for this course, if i withdraw what do I have to repay?

*Financial department say I'm liable for 25% of the £9,000 fees if i leave now.

Would just be very interested if anyone has had a similar experience, or any advice

Many thanks
I am having a similar experience on my school direct, school don't really want me there. I'm a older student and have my head screwed on and I feel that my presence is just an inconvenience. I'm not getting any opportunities to teach or learn and when I do get chance to speak to my mentor, her attitude is dreadful.
Think carefully about school's direct, check it all out first.
Reply 2
I am doing my PGCE. I have nothing to complain about however some people on my course have the same problems. It boils down to luck imo where your placement is and how your mentor is wether you will enjoy your PGCE.

I wouldn't walk away now, you dont want to walk away with the debt with nothing to show for it. (25% is actually quite good! its normally 50%). Ask to move placement, if you can't stick it out untill placement 2 and see how that goes.

Quick Reply

Latest