The Student Room Group

I'm moving to Perth - really nervous!!

Hi Everyone!

I'm Kat and I live just outside London. I'm 23 and have decided to take a break away from the dull sights of the UK.

I'm moving to Australia to live with my Dad in July (07). I am going to be studying while i'm out there at TAFE. It's really a dawnting process and i'd like to know if there is anyone else out there at the mo who has or is going through the same process as me..?!

I'd love to hear from someone and i'm really nervous about not making freinds and not settling in etc...

Would be great to hear from you

Kat x
Well I plan on going throught the same process...except the other way around. Me leave Australia to study in England. Well at least you'll have your dad here, it won't be so dawnting then!
Have fun down under..you'll enjoy the change:smile:
I personally haven't been to perth, but I've heard it's a really nice place.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thank you i hope so... Where in Australia are you from?
Good luck for your move too... although i think you're crazy swapping the hot weather for cold days and expensive living! lol

Oh can you tell me a couple of things...
1) What is the dress code at places like TAFE, do they have a uniform or just wear what you like?
2) Also do you know what the study breaks are? Over here in the UK we have things like "half term" and "reading weeks" which happen mid way through a semester. Do you have them in Australia too?

Do you know where you might be studying in the UK etc..? If you need any help just let me know :smile:

Kat x
airline_gal
Hi,

Thank you i hope so... Where in Australia are you from?
Good luck for your move too... although i think you're crazy swapping the hot weather for cold days and expensive living! lol

Oh can you tell me a couple of things...
1) What is the dress code at places like TAFE, do they have a uniform or just wear what you like?
2) Also do you know what the study breaks are? Over here in the UK we have things like "half term" and "reading weeks" which happen mid way through a semester. Do you have them in Australia too?

Do you know where you might be studying in the UK etc..? If you need any help just let me know :smile:

Kat x

I'm in Victoria. Have no idea when I'll go to the UK yet...
To answer your questions:
1) TAFE is like uni except WAY more laid back...the people there usually are like hmm 'don't give a ******' people'. No offence to you. I'm just saying no one would really care if you wore a garbag bag, but if it's a decent TAFE in Perth it may be a little more up market if you get my drift..
2)Um study breaks. Well I don't go to TAFE but I know they're pretty much the same as uni except they get more. Like the TAFE year starts in Feb (ish), first holiday is 2 weeks off for easter, then a break after every term (I think) then ya have ya christmas holidays...maybe a couple of months off then.
These are only guesses
In England Oxbridge are considered to be the best, then London, . .and the rest . . .

which are the top/best uni's in order of hierarchy in Australia . . . am i right in thinking melbourne is the best . . . or was that jusy some rumour i heard
hermaphrodite
In England Oxbridge are considered to be the best, then London, . .and the rest . . .

which are the top/best uni's in order of hierarchy in Australia . . . am i right in thinking melbourne is the best . . . or was that jusy some rumour i heard

She's talking about TAFE...which really can't compare to university.
Yes I would say Melbourne uni was one of the top unis in Australia though.
Reply 6
Hi
Thank you Blackswan, thats great... i need all the info i can get.
With regards to the laid back atmosphere... well i guess i've just got to try it out. It could be that Uni is more the way to go... but i'l try TAFE first.

Oh and I think the post before about London Uni's... he kinda got 2 UK uni's mixed up ono one...
Oxbridge = Oxford Uni and Cambridge Uni

Both are very prestigious Uni's in the UK. They are about 1.30hrs outside London.

Oh and Melbourne is a fab place! I was there only last month in St Kilda. It's so relaxed and you guys have the best coffee in Australia! hehe

Kat x
Reply 7
airline_gal
Hi
Thank you Blackswan, thats great... i need all the info i can get.
With regards to the laid back atmosphere... well i guess i've just got to try it out. It could be that Uni is more the way to go... but i'l try TAFE first.

Oh and I think the post before about London Uni's... he kinda got 2 UK uni's mixed up ono one...
Oxbridge = Oxford Uni and Cambridge Uni

Both are very prestigious Uni's in the UK. They are about 1.30hrs outside London.

Oh and Melbourne is a fab place! I was there only last month in St Kilda. It's so relaxed and you guys have the best coffee in Australia! hehe

Kat x

Uni rankings arent so important in aus, however these are the decent ones, usyd,unsw,anu,melb,monash,adel,uwa,uq.
Reply 8
i hope you werent serious lol.
airline_gal
Hi Everyone!

I'm Kat and I live just outside London. I'm 23 and have decided to take a break away from the dull sights of the UK.

I'm moving to Australia to live with my Dad in July (07). I am going to be studying while i'm out there at TAFE. It's really a dawnting process and i'd like to know if there is anyone else out there at the mo who has or is going through the same process as me..?!

I'd love to hear from someone and i'm really nervous about not making freinds and not settling in etc...

Would be great to hear from you

Kat x

Hi Kat, are you an Australian Citizen? If so, you're right to study TAFE....Yeah!!!! After studying 1 year, you can study in an university....I can be your friend because I am an Australian Citizen Too!!!!^^
Reply 10
you will be fine:smile:

i came to the UK by myself when i was only 14.................:frown:
airline_gal
I'm moving to Australia to live with my Dad in July (07). I am going to be studying while i'm out there at TAFE.

Good points:
Great weather.

Bad points:
Perth is boring. It is a small town and very provincial.
TAFEs are generally full of chavs and are a kind of down market version of polytechnics.

Latest

Trending

Trending