The Student Room Group

Student accommodation sussex/bournemouth!

I am going off to UNI in Sept but need help with a few things. I want to go to Sussex as my first choice and also have an offer from Bournemouth. Could someone who goes there or knows well of anyone that does, what accommodation is like, which is the best, how expensive, how far it is from key places and what rooms include, washing machines and en suits etc. thank you in advance for all answers.
Please respond in light of either Uni.
Original post by 1998WillH
I am going off to UNI in Sept but need help with a few things. I want to go to Sussex as my first choice and also have an offer from Bournemouth. Could someone who goes there or knows well of anyone that does, what accommodation is like, which is the best, how expensive, how far it is from key places and what rooms include, washing machines and en suits etc. thank you in advance for all answers.

Hi,

Did you go to an Open Day? I'd really suggest doing so, or arranging to see their accommodation. Being there in the flesh and seeing what it'll be like is far better than asking what people think. Your home circumstances will be different to others, so the change to halls may increase or decrease your standard of living.
Reply 2
Yep have some set up, thanks for the reply.
Original post by 1998WillH

Hi 1998WillH

My name is Gemma and I am a second year student at Bournemouth University, so hopefully can give some information about accommodation.

In my first year at BU I stayed in Dorchester which is one of the halls of resistance based at Lansdowne. Landsdown campus is home to the majority of the halls of resistance because it is situated in Bournemouth Town. Other halls that are based here include: Cranborne, Purbeck, Chesil and Lyme Regis. All these halls are non-catered but do include ensuites, bus passes and bills with your rent. There is alternative accommodation at the Talbot campus called the student village and in Poole there is Corfe house. Also dotted around the local area are Unilet housing run by BU. Prices for all the accommodation vary from £92 - £130 a week.

The accommodation that will suit you most will all come down to your own personal preference. There are lots of things to consider. Is your course based at the Lansdowne or Talbot accommodation? Would you rather live in town or at the university? Would you like an ensuites with your accommodation? Would you rather be in a house or halls?

Personally I loved living in Dorchester because it fulfilled all of my requirements. I wanted to be based in town because this is where the majority of halls of resistance are, meaning everyone is in walking distance of each other. I also liked that I was in walking distance of nightlife so I could save money on taxis. If I wanted to go shopping, out for dinner or even to the beach I am only 15 minute walk away to the town centre. Dorchester is opposite the train station which I found to be extremely helpful if I ever wanted to go home for a weekend. Next door to this is a large ASDA which meant I didn’t have to go far at all when I needed to do a big shop. I also found Dorchester to be the most modern out of all the accommodation We even had double beds!

However I have visited all the accommodations and have to admit they are all of high-standard. Washing machine wise all the halls have laundrettes on site and if you wanted to live in a unilet house you will be supplied with your own washing machine.

If you do decide you rather be in one of the halls at the Lansdowne campus you will be supplied with a bus pass to get you to and from the Talbot campus. There are four university buses and run very regularly and the bus stops are outside the halls of resistance.

I’d recommend looking at the accommodation website and having a browse. On the site will show all the options as well as what’s included and how much they cost. Also a good way of looking at the accommodation is to come to an open day and seeing what is available.
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/discover/accommodation

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Gemma :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thank you very much, was very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending