The Student Room Group

A-Level choices for Engineering

So I'm currently choosing my A-levels for next year; I want to study Mechanical Engineering at uni, so obviously I'll be choosing Maths and Physics, but I'm not sure about the others. At the moment I'm thinking one or two of the following:

Design/Tech (although I didn't do it at GCSE; I am doing Art though)

Computer Science

Further Maths

Art?

Ideally I'd like to do DT, but it all depends on whether where I go next year will accept me onto the course without the subject at GCSE. Also, if I do 4, should I choose an essay subject to balance it out? Thanks in advance.
I can't stress how important further maths is, not only does most universities highly recommend it, but it also helps out with your normal maths a level as well, and on top of that it's the most fun! Oh and if you're worried that it will be too difficult, its really not, its actually a lot easier than normal Maths (i got a higher grade in my further maths than maths) , well for AS anyway, A2 is a completely different story, the module FP3 is probably the hardest thing you can do at a level:biggrin: and if you wanna do DT go ahead and try to if you can. And lastly about also doing an essay subject, I also thought abut that to, but DONT, it would be a big mistake, don't be picking an a level just for the sake of balancing out your others, you will most likely hate it, and thus get a bad grade. I remember a few weeks into yr 12, I couldn't imagine doing an essay subject when all the other subjects i did was pure calculations and stuff. Well anyway, I hoped this helped ^_^
Reply 2
I'd say definitely do Further Maths. I wish I had when I was in Year 12, it would've supported my mathematical skills so much.

As for the other, go for whatever you enjoy. Obviously maths and physics are the requirements for most Mechanical Engineering courses so it makes sense to do them, but they are incredibly work and mathematically heavy so make sure you can 'give yourself a break' with your other subject (not in terms of difficulty because obviously A Levels are a pain in the backside, but in terms of something you know you really enjoy).
Reply 3
Thanks both. I would like to take Further Maths, but this obviously all hangs on whether I get an A* in Maths (I should do, if I put the effort in). Hisoka, I'll keep what you said about not choosing an essay subject in mind, thanks. For my other subject, I am leaning more towards DT, or possibly Art (but I've heard bad things about the workload for A-level Art). Again, thanks in advance.
Original post by woodworm
Thanks both. I would like to take Further Maths, but this obviously all hangs on whether I get an A* in Maths (I should do, if I put the effort in). Hisoka, I'll keep what you said about not choosing an essay subject in mind, thanks. For my other subject, I am leaning more towards DT, or possibly Art (but I've heard bad things about the workload for A-level Art). Again, thanks in advance.

I would say Dt (I took it for GCSEs) although I assume it's hard to get high marks in a level as only 4 people in my class got an A at GCSEs
So I'm currently choosing my A-levels for next year; I want to study Mechanical Engineering at uni, so obviously I'll be choosing Maths and Physics, but I'm not sure about the others. At the moment I'm thinking one or two of the following:

Computer Science

Further Maths

Art?

Ideally I'd like to do DT, but it all depends on whether where I go next year will accept me onto the course without the subject at GCSE. Also, if I do 4, should I choose an essay subject to balance it out? Thanks in advance.

Further maths is so important, not only to unis but to you aswell as it makes the engineering course so much easier to get through when you come to it
Art workload is very cumulative, if you haven't finished it now, you'll be finishing it a week before your exam
Computer science would be one I would have gone for, however academia aside, design and tech sounds like a good break from these other intellectually challenging subjects but lse seems to have 'blacklisted' it :s-smilie:

Computer Science

Further Maths

Art?

If you take further maths then you will find the maths modules on the degree easier because they cover a lot of the content that further maths covers, I believe.

It not further maths then design and technology.

You don't need an essay subject to balance things out. Universities aren't looking for balance, but rather academic ability in the relevant subjects.
Reply 7

Even if you get an A in maths you can still take FM and do well. I know loads of people who got As in Maths and are coping well with FM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest