The Student Room Group

I have chlamydia, and am worried about PID :(

Today I was told that I have chlamydia, I know exactly who I got it from and when, it was 4.5 weeks ago, and it was from a one night stand (who I have informed). I do not need anyones judgement here, just advise. I was extremely drunk and he took advantage despite me saying I didn't want to have sex. I DO have symptoms, which I know is uncommon in girls. I have had a heavier period than normal, bleeding between periods, a sort of pressure feeling in my cervix, feeling like I have a UTI and just a general feeling of things not being right down there.
My questions are

1) If I have symptoms, such as bleeding, does this mean I have PID and the infection has spread to my womb? :frown: I'm so worried about my risk of infertility as I have had the infection just over a month now, although I don't really have any pain in my pelvic area.

2) How will they know if I have PID? will they treat me for it? Or what if they treat me for chlamydia and the chlamydia goes, but PID remains? I am so scared :frown: I have only told my closest friend and the boy I got it from. I am at uni and feel so alone :frown: I'm also angry because I went to the clinic 2.5 weeks after the (only) encounter, and the nurse refused to examine me because it 'hadn't been long enough' so I couldn't get an app until the following week, the results took another week, and I couldn't get an appointment for treatment until the end of this week on thursday. I am really scared and don't know what to do :frown: any advice would be appreciated, thank you
Reply 1
advice*
I'd be more worried about the rape, but...

... it's extremely unlikely that any infection will have done any lasting damage in this short time. The treatment for the chlamydia should clear it all up, but talk to the doctor at wherever you tested / get treated about it.
Reply 3
Ah thank you, I'm glad it's getting sorted now, and yeah I didn't really wanna throw that term around but I don't really remember it that clearly, just that it hurt a lot because I didn't want to do it :frown: I think I am seeing a sexual health nurse not a doctor, but might ask to see a doctor for my follow up app and still mention my concerns to the nurse, I also only gave a urine sample so I am unsure what else they tested for, maybe I need other tests :frown:
The important thing here is that you have been tested and have been treated, not many people would do the former.

Your best solution would be to go to a sex clinic/Dr and ask these questions. Possibly get a re-test if you're not convinced, but ask for a swab?
What you do about the rape is up to you, but I would be looking for some support around what happened. It's unlikely that you're the first woman he's done this to. You clearly know him enough to be able to tell them about the chlamydia he gave you.

At some point, your piece of mind is going to involve having a blood test - this will be tested for syphilis, Hep B, HIV etc. You're over the month you need to wait for an HIV test to be valid.
Reply 6
I'm sorry to hear what you went through/are going through.
I had a traumatic experience, the guy didn't stop when I asked him to (I was in a lot of pain). A few days after I started with blood and burning when I passed water. That went away but two weeks later I had agonising lower tummy and pelvic pain, felt constant pressure on my bladder and some other symptoms. I tested negative for stds but had fluid in my pouch of Douglas.
They treated me for pelvic inflammatory disease with an injection and two courses of antibiotics, as the symptoms returned after the first course.
I would go to a sexual health clinic as they are the best equipped to treat it. Tell them you're worried it could be pid. I was very ill and ended up in hospital. Not saying you necessarily have it but it's best treated as soon as possible. I have no lasting damage, well not that we're aware of, so I'm sure you won't end up with any long term problems.
Feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for the replies, I'm not sure why but it's suddenly hit me how angry and upset I am about the whole incident, after speaking to close friends about it and actually saying it out loud, I've realised how much he took advantage of me and keep crying at the thought of it, the fact I have an infection from it which is potentially damaging to my health makes me even more angry and upset. I feel like I never want to have sex again, I have only ever had sex with 2 people, both who have been boyfriends who genuinely cared about me, and sex was a loving act. I just hope this gets sorted asap, as I am finding it difficult to deal with being away from close friends & family, not to mention having to see him when I go out.
Reply 8
Also I have one other question.. supposing I have chlamydia in other places of my body such as the throat or eye, would I have symptoms? Also, will the antibiotics I take cure the infection from everywhere in my body that is affected? Thanks.
The antibiotics will clear it everywhere.

Is talking to a rape crisis centre or similar an option?
Got my tablets, the nurse said I don't have to have a follow up appointment, just to be retested for everything in 3 months..
If you're worried about anything that isn't picked up by the urine test, get tested now.
I'm going to make an app to get blood tests etc, but last night on a uni night out I saw him all over this girl and they left together, and knowing him it's extremely likely they had sex, which makes me very angry that he's probably passing this on to other people, and I really don't think he is aware of the potential consequences, especially for a girl :mad:
Hi everyone, I haven't posted on this thread for a while but was wondering if anyone could help.. I took the antibiotics to treat the infection about 1.5 weeks ago, and after a few days the burning, discharge & bleeding all went, however I still have some pain in my pelvic area. It is really mild but I am starting to freak out that it could be PID. :frown: I am really worried in case I have to tell my parents or anything because I find it hard to speak about the encounter. I haven't had any sexual contact since that encounter (I have been put off for a very very long time) so I don't think there's a chance of reinfection, but as I said the original symptoms I had have gone, but this pain has been present for about a week or so. Would the antibiotics have killed all of the infection, even if it had spread upwards? Thanks for any replies, I am really really worried about this & any effects it may have on my fertility. I just want to leave this whole incident in the past :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I haven't posted on this thread for a while but was wondering if anyone could help.. I took the antibiotics to treat the infection about 1.5 weeks ago, and after a few days the burning, discharge & bleeding all went, however I still have some pain in my pelvic area. It is really mild but I am starting to freak out that it could be PID. :frown: I am really worried in case I have to tell my parents or anything because I find it hard to speak about the encounter. I haven't had any sexual contact since that encounter (I have been put off for a very very long time) so I don't think there's a chance of reinfection, but as I said the original symptoms I had have gone, but this pain has been present for about a week or so. Would the antibiotics have killed all of the infection, even if it had spread upwards? Thanks for any replies, I am really really worried about this & any effects it may have on my fertility. I just want to leave this whole incident in the past :frown:

What antibiotics have you had?
If you still have pelvic pain then I'd go back to the doctors, just to be sure.
My infection wasn't fully cleared by the first course of antibiotics, but the second course worked.
I think it was azithromycin which I took as 4 tablets all at once, which cleared up literally everything else.. I read online that the pain can take 2 weeks to go, and the nurse today just said come back in 3 months when I mentioned it, so I might just book a docs app tomorrow so I can see a doc before the end of the week, as it's coming up to xmas and I'm no longer registered with my gp at home :/
Yes, the pain can sometimes take a couple of weeks to fully go. Has it improved at all?
I think you just need to watch out for any of the other symptoms returning or the pelvic pain worsening. The antibiotics should have worked though :smile:
The pain is really really mild it's causing me more anxiety than anything else! I can't nice it if I'm walking around it's mostly when I'm sitting down.
Pelvic inflammatory disease is a consequence of undiagnosed/untreated chlamydia - it is not really a risk for you as long as you finish the course of antibiotics. Chlamydia can cause infections in other places (e.g. eyes) but I'm not aware that that's something that happens as a consequence of having it as an STI. You would develop symptoms (e.g. painful red eye...) if that were the case anyway. I don't think it is a major consideration here.

Presumably you were tested for other STIs or that is planned for the near future.

Consider speaking to someone else that you trust for advice if the sex was not consensual.
pain seems to have gone now :smile: thanks for all the help

Quick Reply