The Student Room Group

The maths forum

Hello!

It's been brought to my attention that some people might not be too happy with how the maths forum is looking at the moment.

We've discovered a technical issue when posting a thread: that you can't select the current forum you're in from the 'which subject' drop down which means the new posters aren't sure where to post. This is being sorted within the next few days and hopefully will help with misplaced threads.

In regards to any other concerns you have- can we use this thread to discuss what issues you have and how you'd like this to be resolved? (Please confine this to the Maths and Maths exam forum. if you have any general points to make about study help- please post in ask the CT and tag me)

Once I've got a clearer idea of what everyone thinks I'll be able to put together a plan of action based on your thoughts.

Anyone who uses the Maths forum is welcome to post. But I've tagged in some of the key maths players- as I assume you'll be more likely to have some ideas on this. (But please don't feel like you have to post just because you've been tagged!)

Scroll to see replies

The face when not tagged -> :cry2: :rofl:

@Zacken
@16Characters....
@morgan8002
@13 1 20 8 42
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
x

Maybe it's connected to the issue you've highlighted there, but people post in the umbrella forum as well (Maths, Science and Technology academic help) and don't get as quick a reply as they would if it were in the maths forum. You also see a few in A-levels or GCSEs. As for a solution.. I'm not sure. Maybe a thread similar to 'please read before posting' in each of the sections?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM

@Zacken
@16Characters....
@morgan8002
@13 1 20 8 42

PRSOM. :-)

I've noticed that problem with people posting in the main maths, science and forum help and the only times I ever answer questions on that forum is when I see maths-related question pop up on the sidebar on the page.

Perhaps remove all threads from the general forum and make it simply a bunch of sub-forums: maths, science (subforummed into physics, bio chem maybe), technology, etc...

That might be a change that's a tad too big, however.
I only ever check the Maths and occasionally Maths exams and umbrella subforums. I never check A Level or GCSE study help forums but I have noticed a few questions there. I am not really sure what the CT can do about that however.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM

Maybe it's connected to the issue you've highlighted there, but people post in the umbrella forum as well (Maths, Science and Technology academic help) and don't get as quick a reply as they would if it were in the maths forum. You also see a few in A-levels or GCSEs. As for a solution.. I'm not sure. Maybe a thread similar to 'please read before posting' in each of the sections?

Original post by 16Characters....
I only ever check the Maths and occasionally Maths exams and umbrella subforums. I never check A Level or GCSE study help forums but I have noticed a few questions there. I am not really sure what the CT can do about that however.

Does seem like this complaint is going to be a recurring one.
Original post by Tank Girl

The first thing to do is get the "post a thread" sorted. Until then, we're not going to know how much of the current problem is being caused by it. I suggest waiting to see what effect that has.

At least until it's implemented and as I've previously suggested, the umbrella forum needs regular checking and threads moving to their appropriate forums; and it's not just maths that has this issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Notwithstanding the current thread posting issues, I would like there to be some kind of guidelines / policy about what should go in Maths v.s. Maths Exams. To give five examples:

(1) Question about how to solve a quadratic equation, with no mention of exam or course.

(2) Question about how to solve a quadratic equation that says "Edexcel GCSE" but no specific exam.

(3) Question about how to solve the quadratic equation in 2014 June Edexcel GCSE Paper 1.

(4) Request for the mark scheme for the quadratic equation in 2014 June Edexcel GCSE Paper 1.

(5) Question about entry dates for the 2015 June Edexcel GCSE Paper 1

To my mind, (1) clearly belongs in Maths, (5) clearly belongs in Maths Exams, I've these examples up as a sliding scale between (1) and (5), but I have no idea what the current dividing line is supposed to be.

In practical terms, it means that questions of type (2)-(4) get randomly scattered between F38 and F373. I basically feel I have two forums to scan whereas I used to be able to focus on F38.

The dividing line I used to take was: if the question would make sense to someone without specific knowledge about the exam/exam board, then it belongs in Maths. This would put (1), (2) and (3) in Maths and (4), (5) in Maths Exams.

I'm not saying this should still be the dividing line, and I'm not saying that any dividing line isn't going to have it's grey areas and exceptions. But right now, I'd say the grey area encompasses more than half the posts made in the two forums.
Reply 7
Original post by DFranklin
Notwithstanding the current thread posting issues, I would like there to be some kind of guidelines / policy about what should go in Maths v.s. Maths Exams. To give five examples:

(1) Question about how to solve a quadratic equation, with no mention of exam or course.

(2) Question about how to solve a quadratic equation that says "Edexcel GCSE" but no specific exam.

(3) Question about how to solve the quadratic equation in 2014 June Edexcel GCSE Paper 1.

(4) Request for the mark scheme for the quadratic equation in 2014 June Edexcel GCSE Paper 1.

(5) Question about entry dates for the 2015 June Edexcel GCSE Paper 1

To my mind, (1) clearly belongs in Maths, (5) clearly belongs in Maths Exams, I've these examples up as a sliding scale between (1) and (5), but I have no idea what the current dividing line is supposed to be.

In practical terms, it means that questions of type (2)-(4) get randomly scattered between F38 and F373. I basically feel I have two forums to scan whereas I used to be able to focus on F38.

The dividing line I used to take was: if the question would make sense to someone without specific knowledge about the exam/exam board, then it belongs in Maths. This would put (1), (2) and (3) in Maths and (4), (5) in Maths Exams.

I'm not saying this should still be the dividing line, and I'm not saying that any dividing line isn't going to have it's grey areas and exceptions. But right now, I'd say the grey area encompasses more than half the posts made in the two forums.

My issue is similar but slightly wider: there are lots of maths related forums (eg f46) and it's too much work to look at all of these and help. Fortunately, there are lots of very good people who are quick to help so I rarely see unanswered threads, however if someone wanted to consistently help, they've got two options: (1) find a niche (like STEP, where I'm most active) or (2) spend ages scanning multiple forums in case a thread goes unanswered.

There also used to be very active A-level maths megathreads in the A-level forums, which probably could do with some of those tagged on here helping. The earlier versions of that thread were great because it was students helping each other out but occasionally needed someone to clear up misunderstandings. I'm guessing if a current version exists it could do with someone just keeping an eye on it.

EDIT: actually now I think about it, one other thing I notice is Arsey must get swamped with thousands of random messages in June when he releases his markschemes. Is there something we can do to help him not be quite so swamped? I can't think of anything, but I'm guessing it's not fun or easy to try to answer hundreds of questions per paper...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shamika
My issue is similar but slightly wider: there are lots of maths related forums (eg f46)Again, the rule for F46 used to be roughly "if your question would make sense without specific knowledge about your university, then it belongs in F38".

(Actually, I checked, my post about this is still stickied there, but I doubt anyone tries to enforce it any more).
Original post by 16Characters....

Original post by Zacken
Does seem like this complaint is going to be a recurring one.

Interestingly this was why the thread corrector was introduced in the first place: we had hundreds and hundreds of misplaced threads across all of Study Help. :beard: It's been really effective in that people are using it and their threads are going to the right places, except that when they're already in the right place (which many maths questions are) then users get confused and they get moved somewhere else.
Reply 10
I do not know if anybody has seen my recent attitude about posts being in the wrong forum, mainly people ask for help in Maths exams.

Yesterday alone I posted at least five times in threads which clearly belonged in Maths

Please post here
<forum 38 link>

Then I repped the person so (s)he does not feel ordered about, but did not answered his/her problem.
Of course this does not work when others consistently and persistently (due to keenness) answer such threads

The issue about the threads being in the wrong place is a nuisance.
I think if more people from the ones have have been here for a while were to adopt a similar long term attitude this issue will self correct after a few weeks.

Another issue which I personally find annoying is lack of "etiquette" although I will admit I used to behave in the the same manner in the past.
Many people helping the same person, duplicating comments or contradicting comments.
I would not comment in a thread in which someone is trying to help, unless I can see a "real" usefulness in me placing a post.

I do not think the issues here are large... The "senior" members leading by example will change some nuisance behaviour here
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
I do not know if anybody has seen my recent attitude about posts being in the wrong forum, mainly people ask for help in Maths exams.

Yesterday alone I posted at least five times in threads which clearly belonged in Maths

Please post here
<forum 38 link>

Then I repped the person so (s)he does not feel ordered about, but did not answered his/her problem.
Of course this does not work when others consistently and persistently (due to keenness) answer such threadsMoving these threads is (or at least used to be) a job for the moderators.

You can report a post and ask for it to be moved: (Click on the "Report post" text at top right of the post in question. Then for reason select "Posting Help", and then below it "Thread Move").

(Again, moderators used to scan the forums for misplaced threads and move them without waiting for reports but this doesn't seem to happen any more).

In the absence of moderator action what you suggest seems a good idea, but as you say it relies on almost everyone obeying the same rules.

And to repeat my previous point, when there's a big grey area about where posts are supposed to go, I'd hesitate to tell someone "you should post in the other forum" unless it's really obvious.
Reply 12
Hi everyone :smile:

Thanks so much for your feedback. To summerise the key issues:

1. There isn't enough guidance on where to post or the posting rules
2. The umbrella forum: "Maths, Science and Technology academic help" is getting posted in too much
3. Threads aren't being moved to the correct forums
4. A-level megathreads aren't as active as they once were.
5. Etiquette issues- aka, lots of duplicate comments

Now for some solutions!

Can someone volunteer to rewrite the rules and I'll sticky it to the top of all maths forums. I'll also write one for the umbrella forum explaining where to post.

Once the rules have been written I'll put out an announcement in Maths, Maths Exams and "Maths, Science and Technology academic help"... this will be like a mini warning sign saying: "read this before you post."

I'm going to make sure everyone with thread moving powers are aware of this issue and that they're on the lookout for erroneously placed maths threads.

The tech guys have now sorted the thread corrector issue- so now you can post in the correct place.

I've also been thinking if it might be a good idea to have some Maths only community assistants. Their sole responsibilities would be within maths and wouldn't have any powers in any other areas of the site. They'd be able to move threads and issue posting tips within Maths, Maths Exams and "Maths, Science and Technology". This way the people who mostly use TSR for Maths would be able to keep the community ticking along. I can't promise that this is something we'll be able to do, but i'd like some thoughts on it and if you guys feel it's a good idea then I'll be able to push it forwards :smile:

The Maths forum is incredibly important to TSR as it's one of the most posted in forums and it provides a real lifeline to lots of students (especially during exam time). Thanks to everyone who keeps it going, I know you guys are a huge part of what makes TSR so good for maths help (and the community around maths in general is fantastically helpful). Hopefully with a few tweaks we can make sure it's extra excellent from now on. :h:
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM

@Zacken
@16Characters....
@morgan8002
@13 1 20 8 42

I'm sorry! How could I forget you! :frown:

Spoiler

The Maths CA idea sounds great.
Reply 15

Can someone volunteer to rewrite the rules and I'll sticky it to the top of all maths forums. I'll also write one for the umbrella forum explaining where to post.

I'm not sure about everybody else, but I feel DFranklin is the best man for this job.

I've also been thinking if it might be a good idea to have some Maths only community assistants. Their sole responsibilities would be within maths and wouldn't have any powers in any other areas of the site.

Sounds great! :h:
Original post by Zacken
I'm not sure about everybody else, but I feel DFranklin is the best man for this job.

Sounds great! :h:

Agreed - perhaps after some discussion about the 5 examples he's given and what goes where. It may even be a good idea to have those examples in the rules.
Reply 17
Original post by SeanFM
Agreed - perhaps after some discussion about the 5 examples he's given and what goes where. It may even be a good idea to have those examples in the rules.

That would be really good, methinks.
Hello!

It's been brought to my attention that some people might not be too happy with how the maths forum is looking at the moment.

We've discovered a technical issue when posting a thread: that you can't select the current forum you're in from the 'which subject' drop down which means the new posters aren't sure where to post. This is being sorted within the next few days and hopefully will help with misplaced threads.

In regards to any other concerns you have- can we use this thread to discuss what issues you have and how you'd like this to be resolved? (Please confine this to the Maths and Maths exam forum. if you have any general points to make about study help- please post in ask the CT and tag me)

Once I've got a clearer idea of what everyone thinks I'll be able to put together a plan of action based on your thoughts.

Anyone who uses the Maths forum is welcome to post. But I've tagged in some of the key maths players- as I assume you'll be more likely to have some ideas on this. (But please don't feel like you have to post just because you've been tagged!)

I only notice a question when it pops up on the right and if no-one else has responded, or there a time gap between the last response, I'll help.

I do think people should not keep asking Arsey 'how many marks ... ' type questions as they are pointless and waste time. People may misremember what they wrote anyway and any answer is reliant on accurate information by the poster.

The main thing is to make sure people don't post full solutions; they help no-one.

Another issue is people asking for help on a question in a book which no-one is going to have to hand.

A sticky with clear instructions:

DO:
* post the question accurately with any given diagrams
* post any working you have done so far so we can see where you are stuck

DON'T:
* expect a full solution

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79

I do think people should not keep asking Arsey 'how many marks ... ' type questions as they are pointless and waste time. People may misremember what they wrote anyway and any amswer is reliant on accurate information by the poster.

What can we do to help this?

Quick Reply

Latest