The Student Room Group

Just told my mum I'm vegan and she went absolutely mad.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Buy your own food.
Original post by Wonder-Woman
To be honest I think your mum is being extremely unfair. You're an adult meaning you're more than capable of making a decision about your life.

If this is something you want to do then I say stick to it. By doing so it might show your mum how strongly you feel about this and might soften her to the whole idea of it. NEVER back down to something you're passionate about.

How is it unfair? Bet he still lives at home and his mom pays for all his food no?
Reply 42
Original post by simbasdragon
So I'm in year 13, was a vegetarian, and have wanted to become a vegan for ethical reasons for a couple of years now. The main reason I didn't become one until recently is because I feared my mum's and grandma's reactions.

I decided that I didn't want to wait until moving out at uni, so started secretly eating vegan 4 days ago. Tonight though, me and my mum went into a pizza shop to order one, and I had to ask for one without cheese right in front of her.

She got so angry about how it was a waste of money and stormed off. In the car she was ranting about how my hair will fall out, calling me thick etc. She still won't speak to me now and rang my grandma ranting about this. She made me promise not to be vegan until I move out at uni so now I'm stuck. What should I do?

Here's the thing, if you truly want to be a vegan (I don't recommend it) then you need to think about the issues that may cause to you. Humans, are designed to eat meat and consume animal products, it is the reason we are made the way we are, I personally would recommend going pescatarian or vegetarian, as it will allow your body to change.

From what you said, you don't really understand what being vegan means, anything wool you have will have to go, anything leather, any thing made from animal products in any way, it is not as simple as just not eating ANY animal products.

BUT
if you are serious about it, I recommend you first get a doctor to check if you are suitable for a vegan diet, vegan diets are often low in calories, protein and other such requirements. Second, put together all the good points about being a vegan that you can find. Third, explain why you want to be a vegan.

I do not think you are old enough to become vegan yet, become vegetarian first, as such a young person, becoming vegan will not be good, and will cause you more harm physiologically than it will do you good morally
Reply 43
Original post by Wilfred Little
How is it unfair? Bet he still lives at home and his mom pays for all his food no?

You are right, unless they are willing to pay for their own food then I don't see how they can make that decision.
actually ( I am a carnivore who goes out with a vegan)

Humans are vegetarian based omnivores who have evolved through intelligence to kill and capture animals rather than occasionally find carrion.
Our gut is long to cope with a vegetarian based diet so leading to bowel issues in richer areas of the world.
We are NOT designed to eat meat, we are evolved to eat a small amount

pandas are meat eaters who changed to vegetarian. Their bowel is a short meat eater's one, so they need to eat all day, as it literally goes in one end and out the other.

she will not wear leather or silk, and only wears wool that is produced on a vegan wool farm. (the animals die of old age)]
she checks beer and wine for isinglass ( made from swim bladders)
Thai food uses fish sauce in almost anything.

It is REALLY hardcore. and can be quite expensive.
Reply 45
Original post by domonict
actually ( I am a carnivore who goes out with a vegan)

Humans are vegetarian based omnivores who have evolved through intelligence to kill and capture animals rather than occasionally find carrion.
Our gut is long to cope with a vegetarian based diet so leading to bowel issues in richer areas of the world.
We are NOT designed to eat meat, we are evolved to eat a small amount

pandas are meat eaters who changed to vegetarian. Their bowel is a short meat eater's one, so they need to eat all day, as it literally goes in one end and out the other.

she will not wear leather or silk, and only wears wool that is produced on a vegan wool farm. (the animals die of old age)]
she checks beer and wine for isinglass ( made from swim bladders)
Thai food uses fish sauce in almost anything.

It is REALLY hardcore. and can be quite expensive.

My mistake. I don't think the OP understands quite what being vegan entails. Especially seeming as they only mention eating. Meat takes up to 8 hours to digest where roughage such as veg can take up to two days. But we are designed to consume animal milk for example, that is why we have lactase enzymes.
Reply 46
Mothers want their children to eat the food they cook for them and to be able to go out and eat together. Food has connected us for millions of years. Eating with your family and having a good time is so important to parents.

You eating different food saddens her because she just wants you to eat together properly -- the same food, like a normal family. When you're vegetarian you can easily swap out some things or even eat some meatless dishes together, but veganism is basically social isolation at meals if the rest of your friends/family aren't vegan too.

Stick to being vegan when you're out of their house, for God's sake. Your mother has already catered to you enough by allowing you to be vegetarian.
You don't win friends with salad.
what did the pizza taste like?
I had a garlic Pizza the other day that had no cheese on it.

It was amazing :coma:
Original post by кяя
Mothers want their children to eat the food they cook for them and to be able to go out and eat together. Food has connected us for millions of years. Eating with your family and having a good time is so important to parents.

You eating different food saddens her because she just wants you to eat together properly -- the same food, like a normal family. When you're vegetarian you can easily swap out some things or even eat some meatless dishes together, but veganism is basically social isolation at meals if the rest of your friends/family aren't vegan too.

Stick to being vegan when you're out of their house, for God's sake. Your mother has already catered to you enough by allowing you to be vegetarian.

Not in my house it wasn't :rofl:
Reply 51
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Not in my house it wasn't :rofl:

Well I'm Bulgarian and gathering together for meals is really important to us. It might be different for British families but I assume OP's mum would appreciate her family to eat the same meals (or similar at least). Mums love to see their kids enjoying their food. A salad OP makes herself wouldn't quite produce the same effect.

If I have kids they're not allowed to be vegan until they're well out my house.
Original post by sw651
Here's the thing, if you truly want to be a vegan (I don't recommend it) then you need to think about the issues that may cause to you. Humans, are designed to eat meat and consume animal products, it is the reason we are made the way we are, I personally would recommend going pescatarian or vegetarian, as it will allow your body to change.

From what you said, you don't really understand what being vegan means, anything wool you have will have to go, anything leather, any thing made from animal products in any way, it is not as simple as just not eating ANY animal products.

BUT
if you are serious about it, I recommend you first get a doctor to check if you are suitable for a vegan diet, vegan diets are often low in calories, protein and other such requirements. Second, put together all the good points about being a vegan that you can find. Third, explain why you want to be a vegan.

I do not think you are old enough to become vegan yet, become vegetarian first, as such a young person, becoming vegan will not be good, and will cause you more harm physiologically than it will do you good morally

Did you read my post? I have been vegetarian for nearly 9 years and don't wear leather etc. It is just a case of cutting out animal products, as I already do what vegans do otherwise.

Humans have herbivorous teeth, and even if we were designed to eat meat, it is certainly not the factory farmed antibiotic laden meat which is what our bodies require.

However your other advice is helpful, so thanks very much :smile:. Sorry if what I said seemed harsh, it just really grates when people insist that humans need meat, when vegetarians live on average 15 years longer than meat eaters, but I don't want to argue about this.
Original post by sw651
My mistake. I don't think the OP understands quite what being vegan entails. Especially seeming as they only mention eating. Meat takes up to 8 hours to digest where roughage such as veg can take up to two days. But we are designed to consume animal milk for example, that is why we have lactase enzymes.

This is so patronising! I already only wear ethically sourced wool etc, I know exactly what veganism entails.
vegetarians live on average 15 years longer than meat eaters, but I don't want to argue about this.

Although I often point out to my g/f - it just seems 15 years longer without meat!
Reply 55
Did you read my post? I have been vegetarian for nearly 9 years and don't wear leather etc. It is just a case of cutting out animal products, as I already do what vegans do otherwise.

Humans have herbivorous teeth, and even if we were designed to eat meat, it is certainly not the factory farmed antibiotic laden meat which is what our bodies require.

However your other advice is helpful, so thanks very much :smile:. Sorry if what I said seemed harsh, it just really grates when people insist that humans need meat, when vegetarians live on average 15 years longer than meat eaters, but I don't want to argue about this.

Vegan diets are somewhat unproven in terms of longevity of life. And humans have a body designed to digest meat, it is the reason we have lipase to break down fats, of which almost all are present in meat. And if you buy free range chicken, or from a butcher it will not have many antibiotics nor will it be factory farmed, that is slightly narrow minded.
Reply 56
This is so patronising! I already only wear ethically sourced wool etc, I know exactly what veganism entails.

It was not meant to come across like that, I simply meant based on what I read I drew that conclusion. Apologies. :/
Original post by Baigne
Dairy industry is just as bad as the meat industry.

Unless you are religious there is literally zero point in being vegetarian. Go vegan or eat a normal diet. There can be no middle ground if 'ethics' is your priority.

Has it occurred to you that some vegetarians actually HATE the taste and texture of meat but love dairy and eggs? And no, I couldn't get to like it if I tried, I would vomit.
Original post by Botticello
Has it occurred to you that some vegetarians actually HATE the taste and texture of meat but love dairy and eggs? And no, I couldn't get to like it if I tried, I would vomit.

Fair enough.

However though I agree with you, certain people may be vegetarian just because they don't like the taste/texture, the previous poster did finish with "There can be no middle ground if 'ethics' is your priority. I think their point may have been that if you are vegetarian for ethical reasons there is little/no point. Just maybe could have been a little clearer.
Sorry but what kind of mother would kick her child out for being vegan? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest