The Student Room Group

Advice on A-level Choices

Hi, I'm looking for some helpful advice on my A-level options. I want to go on to study Computer Science at university. I do not want to prevent myself from reaching places such as Cambridge, because I think I would like to go there if I am able to.

At AS, I am considering these:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Psychology
Computing

I would like to take 4 AS levels, and I will likely drop one and continue studying 3 at A2.

I am quite sure that I will take Maths and Further Maths and Physics. I know the obvious thing to do would be to take Computing as the 4th, but what would I drop at A2? If I took Computing, I think I would either drop Physics or Computing, but if I come to feel as though I won't do very well in Physics and I drop that, then would I be at any disadvantage? I'm thinking this because Computing is not counted as a 'facilitating subject', and Physics is preferred (as well as Further Maths and Maths) with Computer Science applicants. Furthermore, if I drop Computing at A2, it may give the impression that I am not truly enthusiastic or interested in the subject because I dropped it.

Alternatively, I could take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Psychology, and then drop Psychology at A2. However, this would mean that I would not be able to enjoy the subject which I am passionate about. If taking this route would be a wiser choice, then I will certainly do that.
Reply 1
I can see your problem. I personally did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing at both AS and A2, and I'm applying for Computer Science at Cambridge this year with my interview in a few weeks time.
I think Computing has definitely helped, it gives you a lot to talk about in your personal statement and will make the first year a little easier, however no university I have looked at has had Computing as mandatory. And if you're really into Psychology then you can get super into User Interactions and stuff, which I talked a little about in my personal statement, and gives you some way to stand out.
My advice would be to do either Psychology or Computing and then if you are finding the maths difficult (which believe me some of it is god awful), drop that to AS in the second year. But I haven't struggled with the 4 subjects and I have a god awful work ethic. Maths and Further Maths feed into each other well so it doesn't feel like two separate A levels, more like 1.5.
Reply 2
Original post by csnoob
I can see your problem. I personally did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing at both AS and A2, and I'm applying for Computer Science at Cambridge this year with my interview in a few weeks time.
I think Computing has definitely helped, it gives you a lot to talk about in your personal statement and will make the first year a little easier, however no university I have looked at has had Computing as mandatory. And if you're really into Psychology then you can get super into User Interactions and stuff, which I talked a little about in my personal statement, and gives you some way to stand out.
My advice would be to do either Psychology or Computing and then if you are finding the maths difficult (which believe me some of it is god awful), drop that to AS in the second year. But I haven't struggled with the 4 subjects and I have a god awful work ethic. Maths and Further Maths feed into each other well so it doesn't feel like two separate A levels, more like 1.5.

Hi, thanks for your advice! :smile:

So do you don't think it would look bad if I find the workload too much and drop Computing at A2? I'm just a little worried because I feel that universities would think "why did he drop the subject he is most interested in?". Despite what you have said, I don't think I'd be able to cope with 4 full A-levels and that my grades will end up suffering if I take four. Also, may I ask what GCSE grades you were awarded (just to get a rough idea of your ability because you sound very smart, so I'm guessing that's why you are taking 4 full A-levels)?

Thank you very much for your help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kaiylar
Hi, thanks for your advice! :smile:

So do you don't think it would look bad if I find the workload too much and drop Computing at A2? I'm just a little worried because I feel that universities would think "why did he drop the subject he is most interested in?". Despite what you have said, I don't think I'd be able to cope with 4 full A-levels and that my grades will end up suffering if I take four. Also, may I ask what GCSE grades you were awarded (just to get a rough idea of your ability because you sound very smart, so I'm guessing that's why you are taking 4 full A-levels)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sorry reading that back now I see that was quite unclear. I meant to drop Further Maths to AS, quite a few people I know have. But if you did drop Computing to AS you could justify it quite easily by saying that it allowed you to focus on your other subjects, and you did not feel you would miss out as you would cover all the information in the A2 at University anyway.

My GCSE grades were 6 A*'s 3A's and a B. They're at the kind of minimum my school recommended having to apply to Oxbridge, but depending where you are it is all different. The St Catherine's website (where I applied) does say that you only need a handful of A*'s in related subjects at GCSE but I don't know if thats what they actually do
I would recommend you to take Computing because you would learn some basics before you join uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks for your help everyone. I think I will pick Computing for AS. No sixth forms in my area have Computing so I'll have to put it down as a "other" option. Also, good luck with getting in to Cambridge, csnoob!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending