The Student Room Group

Physics (Bsc) or Business (BA)

I am considering studying both Business and physics but unfortunately cannot do both. I think physics is slightly more interesting than business but on the other hand if i was to study physics I would have to do a maths course which I find very dull despite doing well in it. I achieved 7A's and a B in my scottish highers and I won the prize for both business and physics at my school and this is why I think I am better off choosing one of these two subjects because they are the most interesting and I done the best in them. My main concerns are what job prospects each degree has and whether or not employers prefer a BA or a Bsc. Could somebody help me out?
Reply 1
Physics. Everytime.

The distinction between a BA and a Bsc doesn't really mean anything. Job prospects will be better if you do physics basically because it's seen as more difficult. Roughly 70% of graduate jobs don't ask for a certain type of degree and of those who don't, most will normally ask for a "numerate" degree. Physics is and business is not.

I'm not quite sure how you find maths dull despite being good at it. People's normal dislike of maths tends to stem from a lack of ability or a general lack of understanding about what they are doing or why they are doing something in a problem. Physics is probably the most mathematical degree out there which isn't maths itself so you will have to deal with it all the way throughout a degree in it. The actual maths you need in 3rd and 4th year (of a Scottish degree in physics) is not that extensive really; just the ability to do basic calculus, solve simple differential equations, being able to do eigenvalue problems and being able to deal with vectors and matrices. These are all things you would learn on a physics degree anyway.

EDIT: That list sounded a bit smaller in my head...
Physics is too difficult for physicists but mathematician can do it better . If you don't have interest in maths then don't go for physics
Original post by LeeABC
I am considering studying both Business and physics but unfortunately cannot do both. I think physics is slightly more interesting than business but on the other hand if i was to study physics I would have to do a maths course which I find very dull despite doing well in it. I achieved 7A's and a B in my scottish highers and I won the prize for both business and physics at my school and this is why I think I am better off choosing one of these two subjects because they are the most interesting and I done the best in them. My main concerns are what job prospects each degree has and whether or not employers prefer a BA or a Bsc. Could somebody help me out?

As qno2 said, many employers ask for a 'numerate' degree and Physics fits the bill. Business, I think, is best done as a master's degree after you have obtained some work experience. Physics will involve quite a bit of Maths, however I think you might be confused as even at high school level you use mathematics to do physics eg. algebra and rearranging formulae. The types of calculations you do at university involve more maths, particularly calculus and linear algebra, but are also more involved and interesting as a result. Since you do well at Maths anyway I'd seriously recommend the BSc in Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending