The Student Room Group

How many hours do/did you study at University independently?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UndergraduateSTD
PPE - Manchester.There was a guy I know who received 83% on average in his final year, so I thought...what stops me from getting these grades?

Around 80% would be satisfying too, for this I will be working consistently throughout the year.

These grades can be achieved even at the very top Universities, but students will settle for a 2.1/low 1st because there is no incentive to do better in many cases. Employers only want a 2.1 and henceforth study time can be reduced and one can work on extracurricular activities which are an essential component to a student’s employability.

It's starting to get to me; I will take on your advice and reduce the amounts of hours I put in.
I want a high first class degree - around 80%.
I am studying PPE at Manchester.

You will probably be better off and ultimately more employable if you have a social life, engage in uni activities and get some work experience and graduate with a lower first class degree than if you spend three years shut away in a library and come out with 80%. :beard: Employers aren't going to ask you what % you got.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
You will probably be better off and ultimately more employable if you have a social life, engage in uni activities and get some work experience and graduate with a lower first class degree than if you spend three years shut away in a library and come out with 80%. :beard: Employers aren't going to ask you what % you got.

Agreed with above. Doesn't matter if it's a high or low first. Employers will only note that you have a first class degree before moving onto other aspects of your application. This includes work experience.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Indeed, I completely agree.
I still don't really understand the question. If you're not counting working on coursework and attending lectures what hours are you actually counting? You read not for leisure but at the same time read things you're sure that will not help your coursework? Because if they can contribute to your coursework I'd definitely say it'd be a part of your coursework.

Also, getting an 80% just because is meaningless. Obviously you can go get it if that's what you want, but keep in mind no-one will ask you about it beyond getting a first. It's not going to help you get into a doctorate or whatever. If you have time to spare I'd try doing a piece of research or systematic review to get something published if I were you.
I agree with the point you have raised here. What I merely wanted to know is how many hours the average University student works on a weekly basis.

Then why excluding coursework? What do you mean excluding coursework?
Original post by Little Toy Gun
I still don't really understand the question. If you're not counting working on coursework and attending lectures what hours are you actually counting? You read not for leisure but at the same time read things you're sure that will not help your coursework? Because if they can contribute to your coursework I'd definitely say it'd be a part of your coursework.

Also, getting an 80% just because is meaningless. Obviously you can go get it if that's what you want, but keep in mind no-one will ask you about it beyond getting a first. It's not going to help you get into a doctorate or whatever. If you have time to spare I'd try doing a piece of research or systematic review to get something published if I were you.

Thanks for the reply.I should have mentioned that I am planning on applying for some Finance Masters at the likes of MIT, Oxford, LSE etc. where a borderline 1st class may not be sufficient especially since I am not coming from a Top 5 University.

In regards to my question, what I wanted to know is how much people spend (spent) working independently after lectures, classes and coursework. I shouldn’t have included coursework in this category...

I like your last point, a very good idea...I may consider this after I have graduated (I will take a gap year).
Thanks for the reply.I should have mentioned that I am planning on applying for some Finance Masters at the likes of MIT, Oxford, LSE etc. where a borderline 1st class may not be sufficient especially since I am not coming from a Top 5 University.

Irrelevant. Postgraduate admission cares about a lot more than your grade, and in the application you're declaring only a class honours not the exact mark. I mean you can declare your exact mark but the fact that they don't even ask for it suggests that they don't care.

Having publication, professional experience, good interview performance, good references, good research ideas etc are what's going to set your apart. At Oxford, many candidates will have a master's degree already and some may even be doctors and professors - if we're looking solely at degree results, very few fresh graduates would be able to get in, yet that's not the case at all. Not even everyone has a 2:1.

The ranking of your university does not matter at all, as long as it's accredited and it's not one of those degree factories.

In regards to my question, what I wanted to know is how much people spend (spent) working independently after lectures, classes and coursework. I shouldn’t have included coursework in this category...

But this is what I don't understand. Don't you work independently for your coursework? Don't you go away and read to prepare for your papers/essays?

If your work is related to your studies, I can't see how they wouldn't contribute to working on coursework or exams; if your work is unrelated to your studies, then it's got nothing to do with university.

Is it that you're thinking of different things when you say coursework? Or do you mean literally only the time you spend typing them out?

I like your last point, a very good idea...I may consider this after I have graduated (I will take a gap year).

It's easier doing it as a student as you'll have better access to libraries and the journals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending