The Student Room Group

Would you drop out of your degree if you could earn £100k / year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes.
Reply 21
Original post by marco14196
Clap clap. Tell me the odds of you getting that investment banking job. Tell me the chances of you not hating being treat like vermin and disposable trash by an IB firm. Tell me how you'll make partner in 5 years. I laugh. I laugh. I laugh. This situation is between a guaranteed 100K job and the small chance of a better paying job. This post was silly anyway because the 100K job isn't guaranteed to last forever anyway. But still, in some magical lala land, this seems like the better choice going off of the odds.

Odds are quite good, if you know your stuff and come from a target uni. Plus the pay goes up quite a bit.

You're making baseless assumptions - all we know is that the magical job pays a 100k, you can't assume anything besides that, for all you know, it means having to shovel peoples **** and swallow it and I'd rather the IB job than that. Plus I get the benefit of going through a Cambridge/Warwick maths degree and coming out knowing some really cool maths.

tl;dr: long term prospects are better with a degree, short term prospects are better by taking the magical job.
Original post by marco14196
Clap clap. Tell me the odds of you getting that investment banking job. Tell me the chances of you not hating being treat like vermin and disposable trash by an IB firm. Tell me how you'll make partner in 5 years. I laugh. I laugh. I laugh. This situation is between a guaranteed 100K job and the small chance of a better paying job. This post was silly anyway because the 100K job isn't guaranteed to last forever anyway. But still, in some magical lala land, this seems like the better choice going off of the odds.

Just lol. The only bank with the position of 'partner' is Goldman Sachs... They make a hell of a lot more than 100k.

The rest of your post is just condescending and frankly, silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Odds are quite good, if you know your stuff and come from a target uni. Plus the pay goes up quite a bit.

You're making baseless assumptions - all we know is that the magical job pays a 100k, you can't assume anything besides that, for all you know, it means having to shovel peoples **** and swallow it and I'd rather the IB job than that. Plus I get the benefit of going through a Cambridge/Warwick maths degree and coming out knowing some really cool maths.

tl;dr: long term prospects are better with a degree, short term prospects are better by taking the magical job.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually have a degree so would go a step further and say I would sell my degree back to the establishment for say 10k. I happily swallow the loss.
Reply 25
Original post by Princepieman
Just lol. The only bank with the position of 'partner' is Goldman Sachs... They make a hell of a lot more than 100k.

The rest of your post is just condescending and frankly, silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM. :-)
I like to sound all great and all by saying that no i would continue studying.

But 100k a year?

**** yes id drop out of Uni.
No, for a few reasons.

1. There are a lot of areas of my course that I have yet to study that will interest me greatly, so I wouldn't want to quit now after getting through some of the compulsory, not-so-fun stuff.

2. University is more than just a degree - meeting new people, gaining skills, a bit of romance on the cards.. :sexface:
Yes in a heartbeat.
Everyone can get degrees nowadays, not everyone can get a £100k job. And working at home too.
£100k/year? I wouldn't even think about it. Bye bye, degree.
Reply 30
Original post by Zacken
Maths degree -> investment banking -> more than 100k.

You're the chump.

Not necessarily. A math degree is probably more likely to -> teaching at secondary school -> less than 30k
Reply 31
Original post by Daftpunker
I actually have a degree so would go a step further and say I would sell my degree back to the establishment for say 10k. I happily swallow the loss.

I have a few degrees for sale - a BSc(Hons) and an LLb(Hons). Any takers? Also have an MTh going cheap. MSc coming available next year so bid now to avoid disappointment!
Reply 32
Original post by Howard
Not necessarily. A math degree is probably more likely to -> teaching at secondary school -> less than 30k

Not necessarily either. Got anything to add weight? As far as I know, a minority of Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, LSE and the likes go into secondary school teaching.
Reply 33
Original post by Zacken
Not necessarily either. Got anything to add weight? As far as I know, a minority of Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, LSE and the likes go into secondary school teaching.

No I don't. But I do know that there aren't close to as many investment banking opportunities today as there were prior to 2008 and a math degree isn't a guarantee of snagging one of them.

I even wonder, were we to do a survey of investment bankers, how many have math degrees.
Reply 34
Original post by Howard
No I don't. But I do know that there aren't close to as many investment banking opportunities today as there were prior to 2008 and a math degree isn't a guarantee of snagging one of them.

I even wonder, were we to do a survey of investment bankers, how many have math degrees.

Not the majority for sure, I wasn't saying that many investment bankers have maths degrees.

Simply that that a significant amount of target university graduates holding maths degrees who apply for investment banking get into investment banking.
Probably. I like my degree but I'd never get that sort of salary with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Probably. I like my degree but I'd never get that sort of salary with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come? Surely, you have some ambition to rise through the ranks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Zacken
Not the majority for sure, I wasn't saying that many investment bankers have maths degrees.

Simply that that a significant amount of target university graduates holding maths degrees who apply for investment banking get into investment banking.

Maybe. I've no idea how many people graduate from target universities with math degrees each year, or how many of these apply for IB, or how many of those are successful. I'll take your word for it.
Reply 38
Original post by Howard
Maybe. I've no idea how many people graduate from target universities with math degrees each year, or how many of these apply for IB, or how many of those are successful. I'll take your word for it.

@Princepieman will have more factual things to say, he's way more knowledgeable than me. :-)
Reply 39
Only an idiot wouldn't take the job, frankly.

Quick Reply

Latest