The Student Room Group

Woman in UK sentenced to 2 years for sex with underage pupil?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bassbabe
Oh boo hoo meninists!!

Exactly

I doubt any of them have any legal knowledge or experience which qualifies them to discuss whether or not there is anti-male bias in UK courts.

Sometimes this website feels less like a student forum and more like the comments section of the Daily Mail online

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/teaching-assistant-caroline-berriman-who-10458072
“This sentence was referred to the Court of Appeal under the Unduly Lenient Sentences Scheme by the Solicitor General, Robert Buckland QC MP.”

He said: “Caroline Berriman, who worked as a trusted classroom assistant, groomed and then took advantage of a teenage boy, plainly abusing that position of trust. I referred the case to the Court of Appeal because the original sentence failed to fully reflect the ages of the defendant and the victim.

“I am therefore pleased the Court of Appeal today imposed a two-year immediate prison term on Berriman which should reassure the public and send out a strong message that teenagers of both genders have a legal right to be protected from grooming and sexual interference.”

I think the important thing to note is she initially got a suspended sentence But that the court of appeal have quashed that and sent her to prison... so the system sort of works.
Original post by z33
._.

if you counted the uterus and whole reproductive system of the female vs the male, the females is larger :tongue:

idc what gender you are, if you want to be treated equal to the other gender you have to take the good and the bad

bring it on Zambies

ya i respect your feelings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEZunJmyjw
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by illegaltobepoor

brought a tear to my eye :') thank you <3
Reply 24
Original post by bassbabe
Oh boo hoo meninists!!

shut you mouth feminazi.
Original post by zigglr
In the UK she had sex with a 15 year old pupil and got 2 years
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-11-17/jail-sentence-for-teaching-assistant-who-originally-walked-free-from-court-after-admitting-sex-with-pupil/

If it was a man they would have got 15 years or something... Am I missing something here?

Lucky lad :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
15 year olds are capable of deciding whether they wish to have sex with somebody or not. She should not have been jailed for it, however she should never be allowed to teach again. Any teacher that has an affair with an underage (under 18) student should not be allowed to teach, it is completely unprofessional.
Original post by driftawaay
15 year olds are capable of deciding whether they wish to have sex with somebody or not. She should not have been jailed for it, however she should never be allowed to teach again. Any teacher that has an affair with an underage (under 18) student should not be allowed to teach, it is completely unprofessional.

Agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say the same if it was a 15 yr old school girl wanting to have sex with a male teacher?
Reply 29
She should not have been jailed for it

Oh so now it's ok for women to be pedophiles too?
Original post by zigglr
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-11-17/jail-sentence-for-teaching-assistant-who-originally-walked-free-from-court-after-admitting-sex-with-pupil/

If it was a man they would have got 15 years or something... Am I missing something here?

When has that ever happened? Where a man got 15 years for having a relationship with an underage pupil?
Original post by caravaggio2
Would you say the same if it was a 15 yr old school girl wanting to have sex with a male teacher?

Yes I would especially a young teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zigglr

it's a woman duh
women have been known to get lighter sentences just a double standard we have to live with in this society.Same way that most people would be more outraged if the genders were reveresed and the girl was the one who is 15.
Original post by caravaggio2

Yes.

I'm sorry but that's a really dumb question... I don't know why everyone asks that whenever a story like this pops up
Original post by flab10
shut you mouth feminazi.

Lol, shame because Im not even a feminist.
Original post by signor rad
She didn't get away with anything, a jury convicted her and a judge who has infinitely more legal knowledge and experience than anyone on this thread, sentenced her. You have no evidence that men get tougher sentences, because you are not comparing like for like.

"legal knowledge" and "experience" = grounds for making clearly irrational and immoral choices regarding a liberal democratic society where men and women are meant to be civilly equal citizens with the same responsibilities and dignities...? I don't agree with you at all. what if we were looking at judges in Saudi Arabia, or palestine, who had "legal knowledge" and "experience" - does that make them for fit to determine sentences than somebody who thinks men and women ought to be judged under the same lense? paedophilia isn't a gendered crime - it's a crime for any adult, and applies to any "child" (under the law a 15 year old is a child). you can't possibly suggest that there are reasonable grounds for saying that women ought to be treated lightly simply because they are women? what makes male paedophilia worse than female paedophilia? cultural stereotypes? are cultural stereotypes rational at all in this context, compared to strict and objective viewpoints such as equality?!
Original post by illegaltobepoor

Ah this is the picture that got me my Yellow Card. Ye I see your point admins.
Reply 38

Interesting. I looked at "Sexual activity with a child" (section 9 page 46) and "abuse of trust" makes it an A culpability which has a 5 year starting point and a 4-10 year range. Very different from "Abuse of position of trust: sexual activity with a child" which you pointed out had a 1-2 year range and 18 month starting point. Seems rather inconsistent even within the same document :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending