The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Oxford

Hey guys!
Needing some help, currently doing 3 a levels and I'm not predicted an A in one of them which is needed.
I'm planning on taking another one next year to get an A in and apply in 2017.
Do you reckon I can apply or not? Emailed Cambridge they said it would be fine but not sure on Oxford.
Also would a certain college allow it? because I was told to check with Cambridges different colleges to see if they would allow it. Emailed Oxford itself but should I check with the separate colleges?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
you can apply ... try and convince your school to predict you an A
hopefully you can do well with AS first
Reply 2
I got 2 A's and a C at AS and I'm predicted A*AB but the school won't predict me an A where the B is so that's why I'm planning the extra A level
Original post by Me2197
Hey guys!
Needing some help, currently doing 3 a levels and I'm not predicted an A in one of them which is needed.
Do you reckon I can apply or not? Emailed Cambridge they said it would be fine but not sure on Oxford.
Also would a certain college allow it? because I was told to check with Cambridges different colleges to see if they would allow it. Emailed Oxford itself but should I check with the separate colleges?

Give it all a go, otherwise you may never know :-)
Original post by Me2197
I got 2 A's and a C at AS and I'm predicted A*AB but the school won't predict me an A where the B is so that's why I'm planning the extra A level

Need more details to see if it's possible or not.
What as subjects are you doing and UMS for each? (Cambridge looks at your UMS, not just grsdes)
Which course do you want to apply for?
Reply 5
Original post by vincrows
Need more details to see if it's possible or not.
What as subjects are you doing and UMS for each? (Cambridge looks at your UMS, not just grsdes)
Which course do you want to apply for?

I'm wanting to apply for law I've emailed the colleges and Cambridge has said it wouldn't be a problem, so I'm curious if Oxford's colleges would be the same. I've done English lit (133) a C, History (160) an A, and RE (164) also an A, and currently following these through with A2 which I'm doing at the minute
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Me2197
I'm wanting to apply for law I've emailed the colleges and Cambridge has said it wouldn't be a problem, so I'm curious if Oxford's colleges would be the same. I've done English lit (133) a C, History (160) an A, and RE (164) also an A, and currently following these through with A2 which I'm doing at the minute

UMS is important for Cambridge as they use it to make their own prediction for the applicant's A2 grades.
Your UMS are unfortunately a bit low compared to typical applicants for Cambridge. If someone apply with similar UMS at AS, he/she probably won't be invited for interview as around 85% UMS is a sort of borderline for art/humanities course whether you get interview or not.
If you're planning to apply post A-level (which I think is the only realistic solution), you need to make sure you perform much, much better in all three subjects.

For more info on Cambridge application, please have a look at this post.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3733847&p=60704483#post60704483
Reply 7
Original post by Me2197
Hey guys!

What did Cambridge actually say? And yes the colleges are seperate organisations and may have slightly different views about individual circumstances. Oxford colleges would be similar.
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
What did Cambridge actually say? And yes the colleges are seperate organisations and may have slightly different views about individual circumstances. Oxford colleges would be similar.

That it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage nor an advantage
Reply 9
Original post by Me2197
That it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage nor an advantage

Cambridge don't put a whole lot of weight on predictions. But you would still need still need to be, in their view, on target to achieve the offer (A*AA).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Me2197

But your UMS is low for Cambridge? You've got 80% in history, 82% in RE? You would need high UMS to apply for cam but Oxford maybe could be a good shot if you can do well in the admissions test?
Reply 11
Original post by RonnieRJ
But your UMS is low for Cambridge? You've got 80% in history, 82% in RE? You would need high UMS to apply for cam but Oxford maybe could be a good shot if you can do well in the admissions test?

When emailing Cambridge my ums was fine, and they don't require a certain amount. I'm planning on doing well in the law admission test so hopefully should be okay
Original post by Me2197
When emailing Cambridge my ums was fine, and they don't require a certain amount. I'm planning on doing well in the law admission test so hopefully should be okay

B I applied there I should know afterall lol

If I got your UMS I most likely wouldn't have applied because you'll be filtered out pre interview if you don't have your final A2 results, and by the sounds of it you'll have A*A if you're taking another year to do another A level?
Think you'd have a better shot at Oxford probably
Reply 13
B I applied there I should know afterall lol

If I got your UMS I most likely wouldn't have applied because you'll be filtered out pre interview if you don't have your final A2 results, and by the sounds of it you'll have A*A if you're taking another year to do another A level?
Think you'd have a better shot at Oxford probably

Where did you decide on instead?
Original post by Me2197
Where did you decide on instead?

Wait what?
Instead?
As I said, I did apply to Cambridge?

I was saying, your best three UMS average is below 80% even, because of the C, and if I personally had that UMS I wouldn't apply
Reply 15
Wait what?
Instead?
As I said, I did apply to Cambridge?

I was saying, your best three UMS average is below 80% even, because of the C, and if I personally had that UMS I wouldn't apply

Sorry I thought you'd applied a year or two before
Anyway it's worth a try, I'll trust what was said through email
Thank you though
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Me2197
Sorry I thought you'd applied a year or two before
Anyway it's worth a try, I'll trust what was said through email
Thank you though

Maybe you should rethink and go for Oxford lmao
http://tom-s.co.uk/tsr/#stalkCourses
Have a look at the UMS for Law. Do you see what I mean? Lowest is 87% best three... I'm just trynna do good here haha, you should research how Oxbridge selects the best applicants

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending