The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

how to choose?

hey guys, I am a student from beijing,China, and i get Admissions to PhD in Aerospace engineering from Southampton, bristol, Nottingham and sheffield. Of course, the details of my further study is different but i am interested in all of those.
Now i have to choose which one i should go. you know in China i can not have chance to go there to find which i like best now, so with your experience in Europe, which one is better in this area. :confused:
thanks so much :smile:
PS:As an non-Europe student , can i have an opportunity to get a job in Europe after i get my degree,such as Rolls-Royce or Airbus?:biggrin:
Reply 1
Well, they all have very good reputations in the UK, but in my opinion Nottingham and Bristol are the best rated. Look at the websites, specifically at the aerospace engineering section, to see which course you would most prefer and which university appears to be best equipped to do the course. I.e. do they have the correct equipment? how good is their research?

As far as campuses go I've seen Nottingham and Southampton; with friends having visited Sheffield and Bristol. Southampton is not as nice as Nottingham- it is campus but there is much less open space at Southampton than at Nottingham and the buildings are older. Also, from what I've heard Sheffield can be a little 'run down' in places. People have said that Bristol is nice but I haven't seen it myself so I can't really comment.

Basically as far as reputations and campus's go, Bristol and Nottingham are the best. However it also depends on the nature of the course and which you would prefer to do.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
If you have a degree from a UK university then it might help you get a job offer from a european company. But you would still have to apply for a visa and residency to work in the EU, just like anyone else. So a degree from Nottingham would not guarantee that you could stay and work in the EU, but it would help you get a job offer which is the first step to getting permission to work here!
Employers, top employers that is, can normally get visas for whoever they damn well want!
Reply 4
laura_89
Well, they all have very good reputations in the UK, but in my opinion Nottingham and Bristol are the best rated. Look at the websites, specifically at the aerospace engineering section, to see which course you would most prefer and which university appears to be best equipped to do the course. I.e. do they have the correct equipment? how good is their research?

As far as campuses go I've seen Nottingham and Southampton; with friends having visited Sheffield and Bristol. Southampton is not as nice as Nottingham- it is campus but there is much less open space at Southampton than at Nottingham and the buildings are older. Also, from what I've heard Sheffield can be a little 'run down' in places. People have said that Bristol is nice but I haven't seen it myself so I can't really comment.

Basically as far as reputations and campus's go, Bristol and Nottingham are the best. However it also depends on the nature of the course and which you would prefer to do.

Thanks so much for your help and advice:smile:

I have talked about the details of area with my supervisors in this Unversities and looked through the website of these department. From that I found Bristol maybe better, however, the RAE 2001 Rating of Bristol is only 4 while
others is 5 or 5*,i wonder if there is change in these 6 years.

It is so difficult to decide as i am in China, what i can consult is only some rank and the informations from the internet, also i can not talk it with my mentors,:biggrin: so your advice is important for me:smile:
Reply 5
philjw
If you have a degree from a UK university then it might help you get a job offer from a european company. But you would still have to apply for a visa and residency to work in the EU, just like anyone else. So a degree from Nottingham would not guarantee that you could stay and work in the EU, but it would help you get a job offer which is the first step to getting permission to work here!

As i am in China, i heard from internet that the company do not like to employ non-European so i am afraid if it is true:confused:
Reply 6
Lewisy-boy
Employers, top employers that is, can normally get visas for whoever they damn well want!

What are top employers in your opinion:eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending