The Student Room Group

Is a D in AS level Maths useful for anything at all?

I don't really have much to say in order to contextualise this except that I'm bad at maths and considering dropping it.

yeah... it's all in the title plzhelp.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retired_Messiah
I don't really have much to say in order to contextualise this except that I'm bad at maths and considering dropping it.

Conversation starter?
Are you currently doing AS Maths?
Original post by EastGuava
Are you currently doing AS Maths?

I thought that would be inferred without me needing to say it explicitly... oh well

Yes I am. For the moment. Results over the past couple of months have not been promising.
Hi, keep persevering with maths, it's only November. It's amazing how grades just transform over the year when 'everything suddenly clicks.' It can be tough at times but be sure to ask lots of questions (I asked so many and my teachers even picked up on it at parents evening last year, and said it was great that I did unlike other people, as I really wanted to improve my grade after feeling like you do). I'd say to not drop it, but it depends how much you are trying and still achieving lower grades than you would like. But perserverance is key honestly, I came out with an A at AS last year (only by a few marks...miracuslously) but if you put in the effort and do still enjoy maths and want to do well and improve, you'll get there. As I say it's only November you've only just started the course really, so be patient and it'll all work out! Good luck!
Nope, so you should probably work hard to up that grade. You still have over 2/3 of the school year left, so don't give up already.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I thought that would be inferred without me needing to say it explicitly... oh well

Yes I am. For the moment. Results over the past couple of months have not been promising.

Continue. I was the same, and now I'm getting above 90% :tongue:

Maths is one of those subject where you have to push yourself beyond your limits in order to succeed (even the most talented students will struggle and push forward).
You've still got a clean slate, and there is time to improve.

Maybe ask your teacher who knows you/your strengths/weaknesses well how you can improve, or do a past paper yourself and ask yourself a few questions:

Do I need to go back and do revision over one or more areas that I couldn't answer about?

Solution: Do just that.

Am I fine with the basics/earlier parts of the questions, but not when it gets a bit harder?

Solution: Use the textbook and practice more difficult questions.

Is it exam technique that I need to improve?

Soln: do more past papers.

And so on.

A Maths A-level may come in handy for uni entry requirements or future jobs, and I suppose it's better to keep at it and see how you feel on results day rather than drop it, only to find that you hate/didn't do well enough in one of your other subjects and you're short of subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)

It wasn't 100% clear. :tongue:

For AS maths all you have to do is answer lots of questions from the textbooks, watch exam solutions videos if you get stuck on anything, then (closer to exams) do all the past papers, redo questions you get wrong, do more similar questions if necessary and then ace the exam. :biggrin:
None of y'all have directly answered the question I was asking except conversation starter dude but uh... thanks anyway I guess lmao

people in my class got Ds,Es and Us in mocks ended up getting As and Bs in real exams, so if you step up your gear as late as easter it'll be alright.
The D isn't useful in AS Maths , but guess where it is useful?

Spoiler

None of y'all have directly answered the question I was asking except conversation starter dude but uh... thanks anyway I guess lmao

You overlooked the guy that said "nope".

The thing is, you can make sure that you don't get a D in maths so your original question is unworthy of an answer lol. Tbh I don't know how it could be useful - maybe that when it comes to dropping a subject at A2, it would make the decision easier xD
You overlooked the guy that said "nope".

The thing is, you can make sure that you don't get a D in maths so your original question is unworthy of an answer lol. Tbh I don't know how it could be useful - maybe that when it comes to dropping a subject at A2, it would make the decision easier xD

Mmm when I was speaking to a teacher today today about maybe dropping it she mentioned that a fourth AS level that is a D might still be useful in combination with my other AS levels but I can't really fathom how.

Original post by TSR Mustafa
The D isn't useful in AS Maths , but guess where it is useful?

Spoiler

Geography can smd
Mmm when I was speaking to a teacher today today about maybe dropping it she mentioned that a fourth AS level that is a D might still be useful in combination with my other AS levels but I can't really fathom how

Some universities ask for 3 A-level grades and a pass in another subject at AS so it would count for that.
Some universities ask for 3 A-level grades and a pass in another subject at AS so it would count for that.

Ah I see now.
Mmm when I was speaking to a teacher today today about maybe dropping it she mentioned that a fourth AS level that is a D might still be useful in combination with my other AS levels but I can't really fathom how.

Geography can smd

The d is a euphemism , lel XD
Original post by TSR Mustafa
The d is a euphemism , lel XD

Geography's not doing anything involving my d m8 it can sod off
Geography's not doing anything involving my d m8 it can sod off

Yeah , nevemind lol.

It makes your results more interesting. Straight As can be a bit boring so it could be good to spice it up.

It's a decent grade for retaking the year. Getting a D means you've learned half of what you're supposed to have. One more year and you should get 100%.

Quick Reply

Latest