The Student Room Group

We need to STOP naming this group "ISIS/ISIL/IS/Islamic State"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Moura
Cool, care to expand? Or you can just leave it as an empty comment, I don't mind.

Expand on what? Your statement that the Islamic State does not represent the 'Islamic Faith' is obvious nonsense, and shows how little you know about Islam. There's little to no expansion required here.

I don't think I am, I am saying that I can name my self "Moura Fairy Queen of the Earth and Galaxy" it doesn't make it true.

Er, if you decide to call yourself that and change your name officially, then that is what you would be called in all official matters such as news reports. You really love making sweeping statements without really knowing much about them, don't you?

It's not to appease MY hurt feelings, my feelings aren't hurt at all... it's more to prevent the vast majority of muslims in the West who disagree completely with what they are doing yet are shoved in the same basket as these extremists.

They call themselves the Islamic State, so that is what their name is. The 'vast majority' of Muslims in the West are not a) all the Muslims in the world and b) entitled to demand that a certain organisation be referred to as something other than its proper name to spare their hurt feelings.

Ok ignore my main argument...

Both your main and supporting arguments are equally paltry -- I simply chose to address the more ludicrous of the two (which is not to say that the other isn't ludicrous).

I left that thread because I got bored of arguing with people who just kept repeating themselves and we clearly are very different people morally and I am not going to change the minds of people with no empathy. I have other things to do with my time than spend it all on a website which doesn't matter.

Yes, that's clearly the sentiment that led you to make this thread on this 'website which doesn't matter'... Feigning nonchalance and superiority when you've had your ass handed to you in an argument wasn't invented yesterday, I'm afraid.
Original post by Moura
It depends how influential they are upon the publics perception of muslims (or Irish people in that case - if they ever became a serious problem causing mass hatred and bigotry against Irish people then yes, I'm sure the media could find another name for them). I think while they remain insignificant in terms of public exposure it's not necessarily too important what they call themselves... but since here we have an alternative name that could help stop the current negative perceptions of completely innocent muslims which is causing society serious problems at the moment, it would be much better to use it.

Seems you're about to get your wish anyway - American and French officials seem to be bandwaggoning behind DAESH at a rapid pace and it's just too silly to have to keep explaining that it's another acronym for the same group.
Original post by Moura
It depends how influential they are upon the publics perception of muslims (or Irish people in that case - if they ever became a serious problem causing mass hatred and bigotry against Irish people then yes, I'm sure the media could find another name for them). I think while they remain insignificant in terms of public exposure it's not necessarily too important what they call themselves... but since here we have an alternative name that could help stop the current negative perceptions of completely innocent muslims which is causing society serious problems at the moment, it would be much better to use it.

It's not the media's job to shape public perception to a viewpoint that is pleasing to you and to all the Muslims who can't deal with the fact that their religion, when followed properly, isn't as benign as they would like. Sorry, but that's just not the function of the media. What you are asking for is bordering on censorship.
Reply 24
Original post by Moura
x

Can I just say, if you are Muslim (I presume yes), why are you so interested in defending Islam as a whole, do you even know what Mohammed himself said about women ?

"I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man? This is the deficiency in her intelligence."

Also he said most women will go to Hell, far more proportionally then men, without mentioning allowing slave girls and allowing Husbands to strike disobedient wives.

Truly, if you are a female Muslim, you should be sickened by this.
The French President said it best, we should stop calling them IS/ISIS/ISIL... it blurs lines and fuels the same hate that they run off. Daesh it is. <- not exactly what he said, but you get the point
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Moura
Yes and the majority of Muslims (at least in the West) think the same. Actually the majority of deaths caused by Daesh are TOWARDS muslims.

Then maybe they should stop whining about a name? They are the Islamic State, whether anybody likes it or not. Calling them Daesh would neither be right nor likely to work in the way you're imagining.

You just have to listen to people in the street, peoples comments online, all the violent acts in the news to see that it isn't a whine, it's a serious prejudice that people have. Not everyone, but enough.

It is a whine -- a whine designed to stigmatise criticism of Islam. These cries of 'Islamophobia' are little more than ways to vilify those who criticise Islam, with accompanying insinuations of racism (despite the fact that Islam is not a race) and irrational fear and hatred (despite the fact that a significant number of people hate Islam for perfectly rational reasons). I refuse to call criminal acts against people based on their appearance 'Islamophobia', steeped as that word is in the aforementioned lies.

That is the point, it is not Islam causing this misery, it is PEOPLE who use Islam as an excuse for their own evils.

Oh, get out of here. This is a broken record of the worst kind -- Islam is the cause of most of the misery being inflicted on Muslims in the Middle East today. You've just restated the NRA's nonsense argument about guns: 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Half of 'their own evils' are permitted in Islam. The so-called moderates choose to ignore these; that's their own problem. They've no right to say that other groups of people with different interpretations can't call themselves Islamic. I'm done replying to you -- you clearly understand nothing about Islam and are simply regurgitating received wisdom.

It's not just in the name of Islam that people commit atrocities, it's in the name of whatever they decide they can use to excuse their inherent craving for violence or power.

I didn't say that Islam is the only cause of atrocities in the world. But the issue under discussion is the Islamic State's actions, which are almost entirely motivated by Islam.

It's clearly not about hurting peoples feelings... it's about preventing prejudice which only leads to much worse things... look at the nazi prejudice against jews for just one example.

Wow. You pulled the Nazi card. I know you don't have any arguments worth mentioning but, seriously, leave the Holocaust out of this. Prejudice is bad, but this attempt to associate not pandering to easily offended people with a possibility of a genocide being committed against said people is disgraceful. Seriously, get your head out of your arse and stop using the Holocaust to try to shore up your silly 'argument.'
(edited 8 years ago)
We should call them Azealia Banks.
Original post by demx9
What would you call them ? Daesh doesn't mean anything here..

There was an attempt to move to Daesh and it appears to be the usual deaignation in France. What it does is make the acronym international.
Why don't we call them what they can themselves?

No point in hiding who and what they are
Reply 31
Thhey are khawarij
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, in the same way that the Irish Republican Army's proper name is Óglaigh na hÉireann. I'm sure you were out and about campaigning for the BBC to stop calling them the IRA during the Troubles... :rolleyes:

I'm glad that I don't buy a TV licence !

I do not consider it a function and purpose of the BBC to define official or popular terminology for anything.

The (worst of the) Troubles were before my time.
Original post by Hydeman
Shows how little you know about the 'Islamic Faith.'

You're forgetting that they named themselves this. Nobody in the West simply decided to call them ISIS, ISIL, or IS, and one of those is what they should be called, rather than something to appease the hurt feelings of people like you, who understand very little other than how to be offended by anything and everything.

What a bull**** argument. 'Oh, they don't like it when we call them that so let's do it.'

The fact that you use such a nonsense word as 'Islamophobia' tells anyone everything they need to know about you.

As a matter of fact, aren't you that person who mysteriously stopped replying to your own thread about the refugee crisis after having your 'arguments' obliterated by myself and others? I have to say, your arguing ability hasn't improved one jot since then...

Yikes, harsh but accurate. Unable to rep unfortunately.
Original post by Moura
They do not represent any where near what could be considered a significant amount of muslims and should not be portrayed at such to the public. They do not represent the Islamic Faith. Calling them any name which contains the word "Islam" or "Muslims" only promotes the hatred, discrimination and bigotry that has been seen since these recent Paris attacks. I think we should start calling them Daesh - although in arabic contains the meaning "Islam", the people who are causing the islamophobia problem do not know this. Also the group does not like it.

These terrorists are Muslim

These terrorists were created by Islam, they were brought up Muslims, studied Islam, went to mosque, read the Quran, Islam corrupted them

They are called ISIS, Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, they are Islamic

They enforce strict Islamic law (I.e. Sharia)
Original post by scrotgrot
There was an attempt to move to Daesh and it appears to be the usual deaignation in France. What it does is make the acronym international.

I'll be dead before I call them Daesh, they will forever be known as ISIS
Original post by Xavier617
The French President said it best, we should stop calling them IS/ISIS/ISIL... it blurs lines and fuels the same hate that they run off. Daesh it is. <- not exactly what he said, but you get the point

Islamic State*

Thank me later :wink:
Original post by Gears265
I'll be dead before I call them Daesh, they will forever be known as ISIS

...why?
Reply 38
This thread is about denial by muslims, trying to detaching themselves from the wickedness and shame of Islamic state. But one thing is absolutley clear. Muslims are responsible for the vast majority of terrorist attacks.
Original post by scrotgrot
...why?

Because I identify them as the extremist sect of Islam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending