The Student Room Group

Is there something after death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I hope there is - I believe there is...
But we won't know until we die right?
Reply 21
Original post by iMacJack
I don't know. And no one who is on the Earth will ever know. We'll only know once our time comes, I'm afraid. I'd like to think there's somewhere after this life however, yes.

do you believe those "I died, went to heaven, and came back" near death experiences people always talk about in the documentaries? Or do you think that's complete BS? I like to think they're true... gives me a sense of peace knowing other people found it very peaceful and "didn't want to come back"
Original post by IBIB
Is there something after death? Or when death comes is there nothing after the comfortable last breath?

Loads of stuff after death, just nothing to do with the deceased
Original post by z33
do you believe those "I died, went to heaven, and came back" near death experiences people always talk about in the documentaries? Or do you think that's complete BS? I like to think they're true... gives me a sense of peace knowing other people found it very peaceful and "didn't want to come back"

There's nothing to believe, if you can't have something like that personally happen to yourself, I don't believe you can believe it. That's my opinion though, what about yourself?
Reply 24
Original post by iMacJack
There's nothing to believe, if you can't have something like that personally happen to yourself, I don't believe you can believe it. That's my opinion though, what about yourself?

Hmmm true.
Idk i like to think it's true but like you said, unless it happens to you, you wouldn't know what it's like. Most people described it as a peaceful experience and I hope they're right :smile:
I am Muslim btw - so I do believe in the afterlife... but I don't know (and I don't want to know) how the 'transition' feels...

idk why but death scares the **** out of me.
Reply 25
Original post by Jjj90
I don't believe you, I think deep down, really deep down, and of course you won't admit it, but you know, you do know, there is no God, he doesn't exist. We all know, but for billions of people that prize of an afterlife is much too sweet to let go, so we cling to it. But really we know that God is fiction and that as we draw that last breath our meaningless little existence comes to a crashing and absolute end. No-one dares admit it to themselves - I can understand why, it isn't a very nice thought.

My life now isn't about an afterlife but it comes with the territory. Trust me, I have explored the possibility of there being no God, no creator of life. I have dipped into evolution and the baggage that goes with it and it makes no sense to me. In fact the way I see it is that you would need more faith to believe in evolution than to have faith in God.

If you are an atheist and have no belief in an afterlife then I can see how you would think death means the end to our meaningless little existence, but that would be bonkers.

What are you striving for in this life?
Reply 26
To believe that there's something after death, it necessarily commits one to the view that the ego can persist without any assistance from the brain. However, we know that consciousness is reliant on activity in the brain, since the nature of subjective experience is affected by damage to it. It seems reasonable to believe, then, that when the brain is totally destroyed, that the ego, and all other facets of conscious experience, ought to perish with it.
Original post by IBIB
Is there something after death? Or when death comes is there nothing after the comfortable last breath?

Well first of all there’s no way someone alive could know but my personal opinion is that there is no after life and it is only a concept because people feel as if they need something to be there after death as if their too afraid for their existence to just be gone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending