The Student Room Group

How to get a job in High Finance

Scroll to see replies

Thanks I'll take this into account why do you recommend Notts over Manchester?
Original post by TheAgyeiman

- Better finance society
- It's a semi-target university
- Campus is beautiful
- Study abroad opportunities
- More people from Notts make it into FO IB than Manchester
- Beautiful people :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BruhBru
These are the roles I was talking about,
- Analyst
- Associate
- Vice President (Also called Associate Director in some banks)
- Director
- Managing Director.

I only asked here because when I look elsewhere I don't always get the information I wanted, but you seem to be really knowledgeable about the subject.

For Analysts:
http://www.allaboutcareers.com/features/article/investment-banking-analyst-salary-index - adjust the base by ยฃ5k at each tier because they've gone up since 2012.

Associates start off at: ยฃ70-75k base + 80-100% bonus + ยฃ20k signing bonus

The values start to become unpredictable after the VP level, expect mid six figs (VPs) then all the way up to low 7 figs for MDs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
For Analysts:
http://www.allaboutcareers.com/features/article/investment-banking-analyst-salary-index - adjust the base by ยฃ5k at each tier because they've gone up since 2012.

The values start to become unpredictable after the VP level, expect mid six figs (VPs) then all the way up to low 7 figs for MDs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only speaking from a S+T perspective here,

VPs - 90-130k basic bonus is really hard to predict, depends on desk/product/if your sales/trading/research

Director - 130-160k basics

MD - 200k+ basics - again this depends as some MDs are executive Directors and so forth, but its usually around this figure, 250k.
Reply 44
For Analysts:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, if you don't mind answering, what sort of hours have you worked in your career? Say when you started as an Analyst and how they have changed as you have climbed the ladder.
Original post by BruhBru
Thanks, if you don't mind answering, what sort of hours have you worked in your career? Say when you started as an Analyst and how they have changed as you have climbed the ladder.

You should be asking the above poster about this(he's worked through the ranks), as I haven't started my job yet.

For IBD:
Analysts pull 80 hours a week on average (spikes of up to 100, troughs of about 70), that decreases to about 65 - 75 as an Associate (with spikes of 90), then 60 - 65 as a VP, then about 55 - 60 as an MD.

S&T is more uniformly 60 hours throughout (maybe a bit less at the VP to MD level).

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should be asking the above poster about this(he's worked through the ranks), as I haven't started my job yet.

For IBD:
Analysts pull 80 hours a week on average (spikes of up to 100, troughs of about 70), that decreases to about 65 - 75 as an Associate (with spikes of 90), then 60 - 65 as a VP, then about 55 - 60 as an MD.

S&T is more uniformly 60 hours throughout (maybe a bit less at the VP to MD level).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha, you know I first used this forum in 2008 when I was an intern/grad - think the predecessor was a forum called Nicube and there was WikiJobs too - but this forum was fantastic - and I've been on my gardening leave, bored and wondered if this forum still existed and loved to see it was and people passing around info - reminded me of the excitement and joy of applications/interviews, its brilliant.

But yeah S+T hours are 6.45-5.30 for sales and trading, research usually stay till 6. Capital markets will be 7-6 but if they are working on a complex deal (usually a leveraged transaction) the hours are longer, but never overnight.

The hours don't tend to change as you get senior MDs and Ds have meetings 5 onwards, traders have risk meetings (which VP and above attend) which is 5 onwards, so if anything their hours are longer.
Reply 47
Original post by seasoned_veteran
Only speaking from a S+T perspective here,

VPs - 90-130k basic bonus is really hard to predict, depends on desk/product/if your sales/trading/research

Director - 130-160k basics

MD - 200k+ basics - again this depends as some MDs are executive Directors and so forth, but its usually around this figure, 250k.

Hi, what is a S+T? I tried to look it up online, but can't find out what it means.
Reply 48
as I haven't started my job yet.
Posted from TSR Mobile

What? In the first post this is what is says. "First, a bit about myself. I am a VP (more on what tiers actually mean later) in a corporate finance team at a BB in London. for some more background for other UK redditors I attended St Pauls school boarding, and went to Oxford University in the very early 2000s. I have been in this industry for about 11 years, and am 32."
Original post by BruhBru
What? In the first post this is what is says. "First, a bit about myself. I am a VP (more on what tiers actually mean later) in a corporate finance team at a BB in London. for some more background for other UK redditors I attended St Pauls school boarding, and went to Oxford University in the very early 2000s. I have been in this industry for about 11 years, and am 32."

And in the first few lines he says "I am going to 'repost' a solid guide"
Reply 50
Original post by Breakingbank
And in the first few lines he says "I am going to 'repost' a solid guide"
Lol, thanks. I don't know why, but I just didn't acknowledge that.
Original post by TheAgyeiman

Since I go there, I'll say a bit about why Manchester might be better from my experience.

The IB society here is the largest in the uni and does regular events to help you with applications and teach you about general concepts within IB if you're not that knowledgeable about the job and what it entails.

It's a semi-target uni, I saw a post here with stats on the proportions of people from different universities in FO jobs and Manchester was somewhere at the top (above Nottingham), can't find it though unfortunately.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Since I go there, I'll say a bit about why Manchester might be better from my experience.

The IB society here is the largest in the uni and does regular events to help you with applications and teach you about general concepts within IB if you're not that knowledgeable about the job and what it entails.

It's a semi-target uni, I saw a post here with stats on the proportions of people from different universities in FO jobs and Manchester was somewhere at the top (above Nottingham), can't find it though unfortunately.

This says otherwise:
79 - Oxford (18.3%)
71 - Cambridge (16.2%)
70 - LSE (16.4%)
61 - Warwick (14.2%)
41 - UCL (9.5%)
30 - Imperial (7%)

Target universities: 81.7%

23 - Durham (5.3%)
16 - Nottingham (3.7%)
10 - Bristol (2.3%)
6 - Birmingham (1.4%)
5 - KCL (1.2%)
3 - Cass (0.7%)
3 - Bath (0.7%)

Semi-target universities: 15.4%

4 - Loughborough (0.9%)
2 - Leeds (0.5%)
2 - Exeter (0.5%)
2 - Manchester (0.5%)
2 - Surrey (0.5%)
1 - Sheffield (0.2%)

Rest: 3%

No. of SW participants: 431
Reply 53
@Princepieman Since you have not started your job yet, what are you currently studying and where?
Original post by BruhBru
@Princepieman Since you have not started your job yet, what are you currently studying and where?

Will be at Warwick doing Maths and CompSci (Data Science) this October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Will be at Warwick doing Maths and CompSci (Data Science) this October.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, well done. What were your A-level grades?
This says otherwise:
79 - Oxford (18.3%)
71 - Cambridge (16.2%)
70 - LSE (16.4%)
61 - Warwick (14.2%)
41 - UCL (9.5%)
30 - Imperial (7%)

Target universities: 81.7%

23 - Durham (5.3%)
16 - Nottingham (3.7%)
10 - Bristol (2.3%)
6 - Birmingham (1.4%)
5 - KCL (1.2%)
3 - Cass (0.7%)
3 - Bath (0.7%)

Semi-target universities: 15.4%

4 - Loughborough (0.9%)
2 - Leeds (0.5%)
2 - Exeter (0.5%)
2 - Manchester (0.5%)
2 - Surrey (0.5%)
1 - Sheffield (0.2%)

Rest: 3%

No. of SW participants: 431

You can can find conflicting stats for plenty of things, we're all going to pick the one that we like the look of the most and flaunt it as "the right one". As for this one, I've seen plenty that aren't at all consistent with it, don't know what the source for that is anyway. Don't get me wrong, there may very well be places that have a higher proportion from Notts, just don't want you leading someone to assume beyond all doubt that he'll have a statistical advantage going to Notts.
Original post by BruhBru
Wow, well done. What were your A-level grades?

A*A*A prediction
AAAAC Scottish Higher
equiv of 3A*s and 5As at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You can can find conflicting stats for plenty of things, we're all going to pick the one that we like the look of the most and flaunt it as "the right one". As for this one, I've seen plenty that aren't at all consistent with it, don't know what the source for that is anyway. Don't get me wrong, there may very well be places that have a higher proportion from Notts, just don't want you leading someone to assume beyond all doubt that he'll have a statistical advantage going to Notts.

It's from people the 'profile books' of people who attended SWs. I.e. all BBs and the other firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
It's from people the 'profile books' of people who attended SWs. I.e. all BBs and the other firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but what are SWs and BBs?

Quick Reply

Latest