The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bismarck
I take it you wouldn't mind if Israel took down the al-Aqsa Mosque and rebuilt the Jewish Temple there?

I don't actually know anything about the religious/background facts of that. Do Muslims have any historical claim to that site?

Furthermore, I'd like to add that the mosque which was built on the Hindu holy site was non-functioning, and for the last 400 years Hindus had continued to worship there as a temple, though there was no proper structure.

Do you really deny that the BJP is a borderline extremist Hindu nationalist party?

I wouldn't call them extremist no, but they are a nationalist party yes. I've just been on their site, and tbh, I find myself agreeing with a lot of what they have to say - and I am no Hindu extremist in any sense of the term.
Reply 41
British Bulldog
Let me see isn't Turkey some like 90% muslim? Mosques with speakers blaring out the call to prayer five times a day the sound of which echoes around cities like Istanbul? Doesn't sound like a very religious country to me at all :wink:

That's probably why it's only received one vote for most secular country in the world. Not sure I see your point.
Bismarck
The situation is nearly identical. Jews had temple there. The temple was destroyed. The Muslims intentionally built a mosque over it (same thing happened in Cordoba). Jews still pray at the Wailing Wall, which is part of the compound.
That sounds suspiciously similar to the land-grabbing that Tesco's are accused of from time to time.
Reply 43
Bismarck

You think it should be illegal to kill cows?

I consider them a sacred animal.
Reply 44
mizzy87

What makes cows more 'sacred' (lol), then any other non-human animal, say a deer? Is it the noise they make?
You might as well ask what makes circumcision mandatory, or pork haram. You know the answer: Religion, and the institution of (often deliberately arbitrary) tribal customs in order to distinguish the outsider from the members.
Probably Sweden or something, or atleast a country that educates, rather than brainwashes it's children. Unfortunately not the UK then, yet.

Who the HELL voted USA btw???
Reply 47
mizzy87

So because you consider it a sacred animal, you think it should be illegal for others to kill it?
Reply 48
-1984-
What makes cows more 'sacred' (lol), then any other non-human animal, say a deer? Is it the noise they make?

Idiot.

Without quoting scriptures and stuff, this is quite a good simple explanation of it (although it doesn't go into much depth) - http://www.hinduvoice.co.uk/Issues/13/HolyCow.htm
Reply 49
Bismarck
So because you consider it a sacred animal, you think it should be illegal for others to kill it?

In a Hindu society, yes it should be.

It already is illegal in several states in India.
Reply 50
mizzy87

So you want India to be run according to Hindu law?
Reply 51
Bismarck
So you want India to be run according to Hindu law?

According to Hindu law, it should be illegal.

However, India does not just consist of Hindus; there are also millions upon millions of Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Jews, etc. So I don't consider it fair for them to all have to abide by Hindu laws, so no, I don't want India to be run according to Hindu laws.

PS: Could you stop putting words into my mouth like you do everytime I encounter you on D&D. It's tiresome.
Reply 52
Bismarck
So it should be illegal for any Hindu to kill cows?

You just did it again.

According to religious scriptures and my interpretation of it, it is a massive sin on the part of a Hindu to slaughter a cow. So it's 'illegal' in God's eyes as such.

Though I've already told you that I don't believe India should be run according to religious laws, so it shouldn't be a crime according to the state to kill cows.
Reply 53
mizzy87

Do you actually read what you write? This post clearly shows that you think killing cows should be illegal, especially when you bring up the fact that it's already illegal in several Indian states...
Reply 54
Bismarck
Do you actually read what you write? This post clearly shows that you think killing cows should be illegal, especially when you bring up the fact that it's already illegal in several Indian states...

In an entirely Hindu society, which India is not, it should be illegal.
Reply 55
mizzy87
In an entirely Hindu society, which India is not, it should be illegal.

Do you believe a Hindu who kills a cow should be punished by the state?
Reply 56
Bismarck
Do you believe a Hindu who kills a cow should be punished by the state?

If the state was run according to Hindu laws, then yes.

As it is not in reality, then no.

Are you intentionally being dumb or something?
Reply 57
mizzy87
If the state was run according to Hindu laws, then yes.

As it is not in reality, then no.

Are you purposely being dumb or something?

Do you think the state should be run according to Hindu law? Let's assume there are virtually no non-Hindus living in that state.
Reply 58
Bismarck
Do you think the state should be run according to Hindu law? Let's assume there are virtually no non-Hindus living in that state.

There are pros in that scenario, but also many cons in general, of mixing religion with state. Probably more than I'm even aware of. As such, I don't have a definite answer to your question.
Reply 59
It has to be the Netherlands. Pot is legalized, weed is legalized, gay marriage is legalzied. Italy is not to far. Homosexuality is condoned in Italy. The designation of it being a Catholic country is just to look good. England is far more religious (racist, sexist, and anti-gay [which I agree with] for that matter) in comaprison to most of those European countries. Not to mention more R-rated than England, lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending