The Student Room Group

A2 English Language Coursework

Help? I'm doing A2 English Language and I need to find an investigation to do but everything I say, the teacher says isn't good enough. Everything that was good someone else has also thought of.

I need something that doesn't need interaction with people and I can get the data straight off the internet because of how busy I am.
Original post by mellowman
Help? I'm doing A2 English Language and I need to find an investigation to do but everything I say, the teacher says isn't good enough. Everything that was good someone else has also thought of.

I need something that doesn't need interaction with people and I can get the data straight off the internet because of how busy I am.

Maybe compare the way language of advertisment was used in Early Modern Period to that of the present day? So you'll be analysing grammatical features including clauses, syntax, pictures, slogans, graphology, etc.

So your main focus is the change and history of the English Language. Your main theories would not be linguists, but grammarians and etymologists.
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Maybe compare the way language of advertisment was used in Early Modern Period to that of the present day? So you'll be analysing grammatical features including clauses, syntax, pictures, slogans, graphology, etc.

So your main focus is the change and history of the English Language. Your main theories would not be linguists, but grammarians and etymologists.

Thank you for such an early reply. It's a great idea but something tells me that my teacher won't like it because the data "can't be collected". But thank you, it's definitely something to think about.
Reply 3
It's not that I don't like the teacher. I just know how strict he is about this (at least to me).
It's not that I don't like the teacher. I just know how strict he is about this (at least to me).

Have you chosen your investigation yet?

Your teacher sounds horrendous!
Reply 5
Have you chosen your investigation yet?

Your teacher sounds horrendous!

He's not horrendous...per se. Just...high maintenance and doesn't understand motivations very well. I've picked my investigation it's just really hard to get any comparable data on it.
He's not horrendous...per se. Just...high maintenance and doesn't understand motivations very well. I've picked my investigation it's just really hard to get any comparable data on it.

Doesn't sound like a very good teacher to me!

What's your investigation?
Reply 7
Doesn't sound like a very good teacher to me!

What's your investigation?

It's not that good really. 'How Jeremy Kyle speaks to different genders yada yada yada' but the teacher said I needed at least one episode where he speaks to only women and one where he speaks to only men and it's actually really hard because usually it's a mix haha. Out of the million episodes he has done, it's really hard to narrow it down.
Reply 8

I would have done your suggestion but it was already taken so...
Can anyone help me with my English Language coursework? I am doing a comparison between a broadsheet and tabloid newspaper and am investigation the register, frequency of abstract nouns and sentence types as my sub hypotheses. Also what theories could I bring into this?
Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not that good really. 'How Jeremy Kyle speaks to different genders yada yada yada' but the teacher said I needed at least one episode where he speaks to only women and one where he speaks to only men and it's actually really hard because usually it's a mix haha. Out of the million episodes he has done, it's really hard to narrow it down.

Oh really? Yeah sounds like a right hassle! Why can't you just pick where he speaks to women and then just pick where he speaks to men, regardless of mixed gendered episode?! I don't understand why?
I would have done your suggestion but it was already taken so...

Oh really? Why can't you do it even though it's already been chosen, you still could do it! Your teacher sound like a right uptight *******
Reply 12
Oh really? Why can't you do it even though it's already been chosen, you still could do it! Your teacher sound like a right uptight *******

Yeah I guess you're right haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs35t2xFqdU

I swear there's a teacher conspiracy.

Quick Reply

Latest